High compliments to the Delta manual reissue desk

Discussion in 'Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles' started by jbcarioca, Oct 16, 2013.  |  Print Topic

1. jbcarioca
    Original Member

jbcarioca Gold Member

Status Points:
    I have just completed a call with Ms. Sandra Monroe at the Delta Manual Reissue desk. I needed to change a return flight from ATL-GIG that had a SWU, and cancel one domestic US fight while adding others, choosing the cheapest options I could while preserving Y-up and refundability. Such events are an ordinary part of my life, but nearly always I have given up on DL in teh apst because I could never get SWU's to make economic sense.

Ms. Monroe not only understood my request first time out, a rare event with any carrier, but also clearly understood my objectives. She not only made the changes but also coordinated all the links and got everything correct the first time, even seat assignments.

Kudos to Ms. Sandra Monroe, the Delta Manual reissue Desk and Delta.

BTW, I am well aware that my usual experiences with changes have been far less happy. That makes me doubly pleased to have such an excellent and painless ticket change experience.

2. LarryInNYC

LarryInNYC Gold Member

Status Points:
    And kudos to you for posting the good along with the bad (I can take care of the ugly myself).

3. gregm

gregm Gold Member

Status Points:
    I know to use the SWUs you have to book Y, B or M fares. IME, they are still VERY expensive. I usually pass on the SWU and select the $200 voucher for PM and the same plus 25,000 Skypesos for DM. From your experience, are there any routes that the Y,B or M fares are 'reasonable'?

Flyer1976, uggboy and jbcarioca like this.
  4. jbcarioca
    Original Member

jbcarioca Gold Member

Status Points:
    The only route on which i have tried to use SWU's is GIG-ATL. Until the last couple of months even the M fares were often above the level of paid business class on some otehr carriers GIG-USA. As a result I had never before successfully use a Delta SWU. This trip will be my first one that has used them. For this trip the M fare was available and was roughly half the price of paid Business on my alternative carriers.

However, I also have SWU's on US, where I am CP and on AA, where in am EXP. I have never used a SWU with US because the upgradable fares were frequently more expensive than paying for business outright. Further, I have consistently used all the SWU's I get from AA, which are not only easier to use, but also include as many as three segments in a direction. Consequently, in part, I use AA much more than other US carriers.

I know that does not answer your question precisely, but it does include everything I know. I suspect Gary Leff may be the primary expert on that subject.

Last edited: Oct 17, 2013
    uggboy likes this.
  5. skyvan

skyvan Gold Member

Status Points:
    Delta SWUs are multi-segment, or at least they used to be, haven't had Delta SWUs in over 10 months since I dropped to Gold this year.

jbcarioca likes this.
  6. jbcarioca
    Original Member

jbcarioca Gold Member

Status Points:
    You are correct, and here is the written policy to prove it:
    http://www.delta.com/content/www/en...benefits/systemwide-upgrade-certificates.html
    However, the actual practice regarding fare classes is in some cases at least, such as my current one, to seek identical Y, B. M classes domestically as international so the effect is to apply the SWU only to the international flight and wait for normal Elite upgrades to clear domestically. It is possible that that explanation is not exactly correct, of course, but most Delta agents seem to be a bit weak in undrstanding ticketing and upgrade rules. For instance, the first agent with whom I spoke to change my current itinerary wanted a $300 change fee as well as add collect. I declined and called again whereupon Ms. Monroe solved the entire problem. BTW, my domestic legs ended out being rebooked to P class (Y-up) in this process without costing me extra, thus eliminating domestic upgrade questions, as well as any possibility of change fees and/or refundability.

Because of the slightly arcane and manual process of Delta this is IME much more error-prone than it is for, say, American. However, this process can work, just not too easily.

7. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    It's even better than that, although the rule is rather arcane. Most agents and even supervisors aren't sure.

An ordinary RT requires two SWUs to upgrade all segments, regardless of the connections (assuming a legal routing, etc.): one SWU from origin to destination outbound and the second SWU for the return from destination to origin.

However, if you have a stopover, no matter how long, and if the fare allows the stopover, you still only need two SWUs to upgrade every segment on the "triangular" trip: one SWU from origin to stopover to destination and the second SWU from destination to origin.

The real rule is stated in terms of fare components. However, I suspect that if you have a broken fare, you should need more SWUs by the same principle.

On the trip where I learned this (and had it noted in my record, after a supervisor contacted a manager for clarification), I used two SWUs for the following trip: ATL-DTW-ICN-NRT-PVG and PVG-DTW-MSP. Outbound was a B fare, which allowed the stopover, and the return was M. (M was cheaper from PVG than from NRT.) I had overnight connections at DTW and ICN, two nights in Tokyo (the stopover), and three days in Shanghai (technically the destination on my ticket, but "transit" for 72 hour TWOV stay).

Last edited: Oct 17, 2013
    jbcarioca likes this.
  8. skyvan

skyvan Gold Member

Status Points:
    Holy crap, didn't realize Delta SWUs were that powerful, sadly to most people they aren't useful because of their fare class restrictions. I found myself using mine on North American trips that were booked last minute just to guarantee the upgrades.

jbcarioca likes this.
  9. jbcarioca
    Original Member

jbcarioca Gold Member

Status Points:
    the class restrictions often make them pointless because it is cheaper to buy the ticket outright. However, as MSPEconomist and I both have found, they can be quite valuable when you have both luck and persistency.

10. DiverDave
    Original Member

DiverDave Gold Member

Status Points:
    In past times I have used them domestically, but K fares went way up when the fare classes were realigned and usually aren't much less than a FCM G fare.

David

jbcarioca likes this.
  11. Flyer1976
    Original Member

Flyer1976 Gold Member

Status Points:
    I hope that you wrote in to DL commending this agent. ;)

jbcarioca likes this.
  12. jbcarioca
    Original Member

jbcarioca Gold Member

Status Points:
    I did.

Flyer1976 likes this.