Hidden Ticketing Cities USA

Discussion in 'Mileage Runs/Travel Hacking' started by Gulfstream 550, Jul 28, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. Gulfstream 550

Gulfstream 550 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Welcome to "Hidden Ticketing Cities USA" - your home for ideal one-way rates within the USA.

This thread will allow you to figure out how to purchase an inexpensive One-Way fare in the USA when last minute one-way travel or last minute round-trip travel just does not make sense.

What is a Hidden City?: When you need to get from Point A to Point B but purchase a ticket from Point A to Point C and just get off at Point B to get the lower airfare.

Example: You need to get from Denver to Washington, DC and think the fare is just too expensive, and it is. You instead spend a little time looking for cities around Washington DC to get a lower fare one-way. Currently, the one-way fare from Denver to Washington DC for travel in less than 24 hours, on a particular *A carrier, non-stop is $624.00 a/i. If you instead purchased a one-way ticket from Denver - Raleigh on a particualr *A carrier that connects to RDU through IAD (you still get a nonstop from DIA-IAD), the one-way fare is $231.00 a/i. Not bad for a non-stop to IAD on one of the Rocky Mountain's Home Town Airline(s).

RULES:

1. Irregular operations can make this a bit more challenging.
    2. Never ever:
    a. Check You Luggage.
    b. Tell The Airline You Are Getting Off At Point B instead of Point C.
    3. Always buy the ticket(s) in (2) seperate transactions if you are going round-trip.
    4. This works well when one of the real cities is a hub or focus city - this give you options.
    5. It does not always work.
    6. Some say your FF account could be at risk but I have never actually heard of an account being cancelled.
    7. It also is recommended to let that certain someone named "Keanu" help you do the lifting on this too!

WANT MORE:

Let's talk about it on this thread, BUT, let's be careful in our city pairs listed and carriers listed. Let me know if you have any questions at any time because there are some "haters" out there that just do not like when people do hidden city ticketing.

Gulfstream 550

2. Scottrick
    Original Member

Scottrick Gold Member

Status Points:
    I've never done it, but I think a good Rule 6 is "Your FF account is at risk." There are plenty of stories of people being met at arrival after doing this repeatedly (usually on the same route) and being sternly warned never to do it again. That said, the less you have to lose, the more likely this technique may work for you.

hulagrrl210 and CDKing like this.
  3. Gulfstream 550

Status Points:
    Scott - You are absolutely correct, that is the risk. But it is also the risk on the International Forum where you mentioned the SEA-LHR-SEA ARNK SFO-LAX. By the way, I highly respect your postings in the International Forum. Let me know when you need help from "Amazon HQ" to "The Windy City". However, to date, I have never heard of anyone getting caught and having to pay back or having their FF account suspended. I don't do it because the company I work for now does not force employees to do this type of ticketing.

Gulfstream 550

alohastephen, hulagrrl210 and CDKing like this.
  4. serion

serion Silver Member

Status Points:
    I'm trying to help some friends find a flight from "The Angles" to the host city of the 1996 Olympic games. They need their travel around the upcoming labor day weekend. 8/31 to 9/6 would work well, but they're willing to be flexible.

5. Gulfstream 550

Status Points:
    Ok - So here is the deal with this one. Today, the best RT fare LAX-ATL-LAX is $272 on DL and on non-stops.

If you did, LAX-FLL on Air Tran for $132 OW
    PLUS
    ATL-LAX on Delta for $136 for OW

Not much of savings on this routing. I would recommed scooping up that DL round-trip at this point. But you see how this could have worked if DL's fare round-trip was $300 or more!

6. Gulfstream 550

Status Points:
    Here is another one to look at:

for 7/29 ORD-PHX O.W. on a *A non-stop is $444.00

for 7/29 ORD-ONT O.W on a *A from ORD-PHX-ONT and getting off at PHX is $290.00

A savings of $154 dollars by just getting off at PHX.

Scottrick likes this.
  7. gleff
    Original Member

gleff Co-founder

Status Points:
  8. NYBanker
    Original Member

NYBanker Gold Member

Status Points:
    My gut feel is doing this more than once every six months opens yourself up to heightened risk.

LGA-cvg-lex used to price $100 less than LGA-cvg on DL. Tried it once, 14 years ago. No issues. Haven't done it since.

While I'm glad I tried it once, the savings, at least domestically, is usually pretty small and not worth the hassle or exposure to the remote downside scenario.

9. Gulfstream 550

Status Points:
    As I said before, this is the same risk that people do on their C1-C3 and C2-C4 itineraries that are talked about in the international Trick It thread that have 3x they dump. So really it is no different than what is done on the international side of this thread.

10. gleff
    Original Member

gleff Co-founder

Status Points:
    Well, it is different from a fare construction standpoint (whether that matters or not). Here you're actually flying on a different fare rather than doing something to get the same fare to price without one of its usual components.

And here, most people understand why it works. In that thread, very few people actually understand the whys. ;)

citizenrex, mrredskin and Scottrick like this.
  11. montacute
    Original Member

montacute Silver Member

Status Points:
    Thanks for starting this topic and being its guide, Gulfstream. Any thoughts WAS-LAX RT?

12. Gulfstream 550

Status Points:
    For WAS-LAX let the Matrix do the lifting and look all around the LA basin and connect through there for the one-way. Friendly has non-stops from IAD-LAX and then a connection to PHX, SAN, ONT, SFO, SJC, RNO, SBP and etc. might have the better fare on the one-way out there - so search 300 mile radius. Tip - manually add to the Matrix any Tequila cities served by Friendly south of border and if they connect through LAX on Friendly you might have a great little one-way to LAX!!

On the way back, LAX-WAS again use the Matrix and look at cities around IAD within 300 miles and then also manually push in MIA, FLL, TPA, ATL and keep them on Friendly through IAD and you might have a winner.

Remember - 2 seperate purchases if doing rt - (1) for the way out and (1) for the way back!

However, if your travels are far off, I would strongly recommend looking at the standard round-trip fare on Friendly and even try our Mr. Branson's IAD-LAX with the mood lighting and all of brand that Branson so well markets - it is a treat flying on Branson America. There are some great round-trips out there!

As I said earlier, the hidden city does not always work or make sense - that is something for you all to research!

Gulfstream 550

montacute likes this.
  13. montacute
    Original Member

montacute Silver Member

Status Points:
    Super-helpful, Gulfstream 550! I really appreciate your advice. I'll let you know how I make out. :)

14. Scottrick
    Original Member

Scottrick Gold Member

Status Points:
    You're correct, tricking and hidden city ticketing are both frowned upon. My point was more that hidden city ticketing is something frequent business travelers could potentially do routinely, perhaps even as often as once or twice a week. That adds up quickly and WILL get noticed (and it is often explicitly forbidden in the contract of carriage). Stories vary, but I have heard of people being handed a bill for the fare difference and their FF miles revoked. Whether they end up forcing you to pay the bill is another story... These are rare cases, but they can be nasty. I just don't want a newbie road warrior to get in over his/her head. If you're doing it for leisure travel or less frequent business trips, I'd be less concerned.

Tricking international fares is less frequent and usually involves different destinations each time. You will get caught if you bring attention to yourself, but otherwise you are probably safe.

USAF_Pride likes this.
  15. Gulfstream 550

Status Points:
    I agree and we are just here to assist if people are interested in the lower fares. It is only a fare idea and if people want to use it then it is their choice. I hope people do not use it everytime they travel.

Scottrick likes this.
  16. billydee
    Original Member

billydee Silver Member

Status Points:
    I've done this twice in my lifetime, once when it was because of an actual family emergency and another time later just because I was (am) cheap. I will not be doing it again any time soon.

17. Any suggestions for RDU to PDX flying Delta or United?

18. montacute
    Original Member

montacute Silver Member

Status Points:
    Yes, I would only be looking to do a hidden city run a couple of times a year at most.

19. sniklec
    Original Member

sniklec Silver Member

Status Points:
    The problem with the airport in my fair city for the purposes of this thread is that it's only an Eskimo hub. There are occasionally opportunities for transcons that continue on to its main hub up north.

Most of the non-Eskimo routes are to hubs with the notable exception of some Friendly Skies prop planes to outlying areas around the state. Be aware that all of these stations also have flights to one or both of this carrier's nearest hubs.

20. milestoburn
    Original Member

milestoburn Gold Member

Status Points:
    funny. needed to get a buddy to chitown tomorrow on the cheap out of the city where the bluejays play - no connections a must - so decided to catch him a flight to FL...although it would be nice to play the TPC sawgrass instead.

21. Gulfstream 550

Status Points:
    If any of you need something, PM me individually. One ways are the best if you are doing this....Please include date and city pair.

theplunger likes this.
  22. Gulfstream 550

Status Points:
    Sounds like you might have found a nice "Hidden City" to the home of the Cubs.

milestoburn likes this.
  23. milestoburn
    Original Member

milestoburn Gold Member

Status Points:
    and looks like...depending on the day....a way to visit a friend to see the Scarlet Knights on short notice.

24. Gulfstream 550

Status Points:
    So the question is, did the Hidden City tip help your friend out?

25. milestoburn
    Original Member

milestoburn Gold Member

Status Points:
    if you have no FF miles with the airline you use since you convert them out of this into another program using widely available methods at near 1:1, you would have zero to loose like me by doing this all the time...especially when you find yourself needing to be in cities that have fares go through the roof at less than 7 days out.