Hidden Perk of Flying OneWorld Airlines?

Discussion in 'oneworld' started by JFK, Feb 13, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. JFK

JFK

I just want to see if anyone else has any experience with this:

Scenario (which actually happened): Was supposed to fly PEK-ORD-JFK, spend a day in New York, then get on a LAN flight to Buenos Aires (ticketed separately). A "fuel leak" on the AA flight in PEK resulted in a flight cancellation, so AA immediately rebooked me on UA for PEK-SFO-JFK since I was flying business. Long story short... I missed my flight to Buenos Aires. LAN absolutely refused to put me on the next flight (no status on LAN, was flying economy) and would only tell me to deal with AA since it was technically AA's fault.

My point: After hours of talking with AA reps (22+ total...), finally got a manager on the phone who told me that most agents don't know it, but as a OneWorld partner, AA is responsible for getting me to my final OneWorld destination if they were at fault for my missed flight. He also proceeded to book me (no charge) on AA metal rather than LAN.

Don't know if any of you have had experience with this, but do you know if this is official policy? I would hope it is considering it's an alliance, but most of the agents I spoke with simply refused to help since I had two separately booked tickets on two different airlines. Maybe most agents were just too lazy to figure out how to process my (rare) issue... or it was a courtesy.

everydayguy and Status Traveller like this.
  2. spkg
    Original Member

spkg Silver Member

Status Points:
    I'm not sure if its an "official policy", in my experiences when something like this happens on *A, agents always tend to give "one time exceptions", and rebook me. I think the problem comes down to the fact that they have no control over how close together you book the two tickets, so as soon as they put a policy like that on paper, they're gotta get some idiot who books an international to domestic connection at JFK with 22 minutes connection time, and demands to be rebooked when he misses his flight. As we always say, if you don't get the answer you want hang up and try again.

3. tw116
    Original Member

tw116 Gold Member

Status Points:
    i have only had the situation twice in the last 5 years. both times they were aa flights that were significantly delayed by weather. both times the cx flights were on separate pnr's. both times i was accommodated, no problem. maybe lan hasn't gotten "the memo".

4. adl73x
    Original Member

adl73x Gold Member

Status Points:
    If only our luggage could talk too. [​IMG]

JFK likes this.
  5. Richard

Richard Active Member

Status Points:
    If you connection at JFK was originally on AA, but still a separate ticket, there would have been no obligation by AA to get you to EZE (although they almost certainly would have rebooked you without quibble). For this reason, I think it is highly unlikely for this to be official OW policy (ie, AA will guarantee getting you to your destination if you have booked on another airline, but not necessarily if you are booked onwards with AA).

6. Rambuster
    Original Member

Rambuster Silver Member

Status Points:
    I doubt this is OW policy especially on separate PNRs.

Traveloguy and kiwi like this.
  7. kiwi
    Original Member

kiwi Gold Member

Status Points:
    Sometimes you get lucky. Sometimes you don't. Booking on separate tickets is always risky to some extent.

Gaucho, infoworks and magic111 like this.
  8. Mine would probably go "Oh no, not again!"

To the OP: As for a hidden perk of OW, I'm unsure, but some people do go out of their way to help IRROPs customers; you might have simply gotten lucky.

9. TrueBlueFlyer
    Original Member

TrueBlueFlyer Silver Member

Status Points:
    I don't think its a hidden perk... just pure luck!

No matter how many times I book flights on separate PNR's even with the same airline there is always risk that a delay on one will totally screw up the status of the onward connection, and from what I've learned on FT you never want to be stuck with that problem on two separate PNR's... technically the airlines do not have to accommodate you.

From NYC, Sagy and kiwi like this.
  10. JFK

JFK

Actually, this has happened to me 2 separate times -- both involving a late AA flight that caused me to be late for a LAN flight (maybe I should stop going to South America...). Both times I spent hours on the phone until I found a rep who said "most agents don't realize... but as a OneWorld partner we're supposed to get you on the next flight..."

So I'm kind of confused why there are reps saying that (one was the supervisor of the Gold Desk) if it isn't true. Then again, maybe I just found some really nice reps.

11. stuartfla
    Original Member

stuartfla Silver Member

Status Points:
    Add me to those that warn of the risks of separate PNR - and Ill be the first (but not the last )to tell you there is no AA Gold Desk - nor Plat desk - you just get ahead on the regular que.

Sagy, KimK, JDiver and 3 others like this.
  12. JFK

JFK

Regardless, it was still a supervisor (who presumably has more experience than many of the other reps). I intentionally planned a 12 hour layover between these two flights just in case there was a slight delay... guess I'll have to be even more careful than that the next time I need to jump multiple continents...

13. flospi
    Original Member

flospi Silver Member

Status Points:
    I guess, you found some nice reps, who probably mixed things up, as they thought it was all on one ticket? I mean, if your connection time gets tight, they would know it, if it's all on one ticket and they could organise a direct transfer, which is most likely cheaper than a rebooked flight and/or a night in a hotel.
    Otherwise they would have to rebook you with no chance of even knowing, that you had that connection and they probably could've done something about it.
    You should get a written confirmation, officially with stamp and signature, so you can prove it, next time it happens again ;-)

14. infoworks
    Original Member

infoworks Silver Member

Status Points:
    I have found CX to be consistently aware and acknowleding of OW status.

15. TRAVELSIG
    Original Member

TRAVELSIG Gold Member

Status Points:
    You were very lucky.

16. 7Continents
    Original Member

7Continents Silver Member

Status Points:
    This is a great piece of info. If there are any 1W insiders who could give us something solid, it would be a great tool for those of us that might book two PNR's for whatever reason, buy may decide to stay 1W when ordinarily we might not...I frequently do this when coming home from an area not well served by 1W - use a non 1W feeder flight to a 1W long haul.

17. MyTravels
    Original Member

MyTravels Silver Member

Status Points:
    Speaking of two PNR's on the same airline..
    ..For the instances when you do have to PNR's on the same airline (AAA-BBB on PNR1 & BBB-CCC on PNR2) & a direct is added to the schedule, could you go standby for the direct to your final destination? (AAA-CCC). Not sure if it matters, but lets assume that CCC is the final destination, so there are no worries about a return or further connections.

18. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

DestinationDavid Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    Just to make sure we're on the same page, let's use this example. Are you saying:

1. You buy a ticket JFK-ORD on AA.
    2. You buy a ticket ORD-HNL on AA.
    3. AA adds JFK-HNL to it's schedule.

You're asking if you can go standby on JFK-HNL since you bought both tickets on AA?

19. MyTravels
    Original Member

MyTravels Silver Member

Status Points:
    Excellent example (concurrent flights on the same day of course)

20. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

Status Points:
    I can't speak for the other OW airlines, but I'm confident AA would not allow you to stand by for that. They'll look at your ticket as going from A-B and will allow you to stand by on earlier flights leaving A for B, but not for a flight A - C that you booked on a separate itinerary.

21. WaterSki
    Original Member

WaterSki Silver Member

Status Points:
    I'm quite certain that this "official" policy would apply only if the flights were part of one ticket. Nonetheless, I'm also not surprised that you finally found an agent that helped you. (Was it 22 agents or 22 hours of talking to agents?)

22. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

Status Points:
    +1

The OP got lucky, others shouldn't fly OW airlines on separate tickets thinking this is a policy.

23. KVS

KVS Z Representative

Status Points:
    The LAN agent was right. The correct protocol would have been for AA ("Delivering Carrier") to contact LA and ask for an involuntary re-route. While, technically, a courtesy (given that you had separate tickets), it is unlikely that LA would have refused such a request, coming from another OneWorld member carrier.

24. Franklybrit

Franklybrit Silver Member

Status Points:
    Whilst slight OT, BA's separate ticket policy hints at protection in these circumstances being discretionary;

http://www.speedbirdclub.com/reservations-ticketing/rulesregulations/separatetickets/

I wonder whether deeper in the proceedure manual the decision on whether to re-route is dependant on the MCT at the airport ie. if a customer with two tickets has met the MCT they will be re-routed, if not (such as the 22 mins at JFK mentioned earlier) they are out of luck.

25. PVDtoDEL

PVDtoDEL Active Member

Status Points:
    On *A, they have "made exceptions" many times, except for the one time when my connection was under MCT by 1 minute, when they refused.
    Fortunately, a rental car got the job done :)

Also, status helps :)

adl73x likes this.