Hidden city ticketing referenced in learnvest article

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Travel' started by JohnDeere19, Jun 9, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. JohnDeere19
    Original Member

JohnDeere19 Gold Member

Status Points:
    http://www.learnvest.com/living-fru...ium=lvdaily&utm_campaign=click-here#top-block

http://www.learnvest.com/living-fru...ium=lvdaily&utm_campaign=click-here#top-block

Horse likes this.
  2. I may be completely mistaken, but can't an airline cancel all of your reservations if you miss a connection?

JohnDeere19 likes this.
  3. JohnDeere19
    Original Member

JohnDeere19 Gold Member

Status Points:
    You're partially correct...here's an example.
    You want to go JFK-BOS
    You find that JFK-SYR is cheaper and routes JFK-BOS-SYR
    You purchase that one way ticket and get off at BOS
    BOS-SYR is canceled

4. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

DestinationDavid Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    Exactly, and the article you linked to does note that it has to be a one way. :)

There are possible consequences to hidden city ticketing, though I've yet to hear of anyone slapped with any of them.

I actually did this once 2 years ago on UA. Bought one of the IAH-HNL fares for $250 r/t. I'm ORD based, so on the route back to IAH I was scheduled for HNL-ORD-IAH. Hopped off at ORD and headed home. Nothing happened. I wouldn't do that on my normal carrier though, just to be cautious.

JohnDeere19 likes this.
  5. JohnDeere19
    Original Member

JohnDeere19 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Agree, didn't/doesn't AA have some sort of revenue protection unit or something that traced this sort of thing?

6. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

DestinationDavid Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    I think most airlines have a similar "unit", but when I've heard the name used it's usually when people are selling miles/SWUs or otherwise breaking program rules for financial gain. :cool:

In terms of hidden city ticketing, I've heard that an airline can bill/charge you for the cost of the ticket to your true destination, thus negating the benefit of having booked the hidden city. From what I understand it's the full fare price, so it's actually more of a "fine" in nature as it would be much higher than the deep discount fare bucket.

That being said, I again state I've never heard of anyone ever having this happen to them. YMMV!

JohnDeere19 likes this.
  7. JohnDeere19
    Original Member

JohnDeere19 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Gotcha, makes sense!