Hhonors upgrade to gold on eBay !!

Discussion in 'Hilton | HHonors' started by Travelled, Jun 22, 2014.  |  Print Topic

1. Travelled

Travelled Silver Member

Status Points:
    MX and daninstl like this.
  2. DTWBOB

DTWBOB Silver Member

Status Points:
    Caveat emptor

DTWBOB

FetePerfection and Counsellor like this.
  3. daninstl

daninstl Gold Member

Status Points:
    This seller is a UK seller with 98% + reviews and apparently have sole about 200 or more items. Makes me wonder if the reviews are accurate and if they are how they could manage to upgrade people unless they work for Hilton or can enable a partner to set account to Gold. The higher of the two offers is for Gold through 2020, I'm not sure how that would even be possible that far out.

4. Counsellor
    Original Member

Counsellor Gold Member

Status Points:
    Seller asks for your HH account number and PIN. With that information, your account could be emptied (but HHonors would be able to find out where your points went, I guess).

5. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    Right, that would be a fun call: "hey, my account got emptied by someone who I bought HHonors Gold status from on eBay, could you get me my points back, please?"

6. Terry Yap

Terry Yap Gold Member

Status Points:
    sounds risky, there are probably easier and less risky ways to earn Hilton Gold, providing HH account number and PIN may have lasting repercussions in account hacking and not worth to risk of the promised upgrade to HH Gold, or worst case scenario, have the account terminated for some reason.

Paolo Scuri, Counsellor and mht_flyer like this.
  7. lapointdm

lapointdm Silver Member

Status Points:
    HH status is easy to get. heck milepoint was selling it last year with the premium membership and you can get it when you sign up with certain credit cards. I'd argue it is just not worth the risk to purchase this off ebay.

Counsellor and mht_flyer like this.
  8. WilliamQ

WilliamQ Gold Member

Status Points:
    If the sale is "legit" (meaning the seller will get you the status as promised and without draining your points), it could be the seller needs access to change some particulars in your profile temporary and get the upgrade for you. Most likely it is your email address in the profile as HHonors has a few programs with graduate schools and provides the graduates with instant Gold status, up till 2020.

More information over at LoyaltyLobby: http://loyaltylobby.com/2014/02/19/hilton-hhonors-instant-gold-status-until-2020-targeted/

9. Counsellor
    Original Member

Counsellor Gold Member

Status Points:
  10. DJP_707
    Original Member

DJP_707 Silver Member

Status Points:
  11. Terry Yap

Terry Yap Gold Member

Status Points:
    I read about this previously on LoyaltyLobby too, but if i remember correctly, HHonours does require some form of identification of affiliation to the graduate school such as sending an email from the graduate school email address, I don't think changing the email address in one's profile is sufficient as requisite proof, and if so, one could change the email address without having to go through the seller to amend the profile ? if there is no proof, maybe the HHonours Gold status could be withdrawn prematurely ? t may just be too risky without understanding how the seller is achieving this..

12. Terry Yap

Terry Yap Gold Member

Status Points:
    I think you may have used the term "legit" in a more loosely defined way of saying it can be done through some means without severe repercussions of being drained of one's points for instance, instead of the tighter definition of facilitating a process whereby the buyer is legitimately qualified for the HH Gold upgrade through some affiliation.

I recall similarly a recent offer by Hyatt to offer a fast-track Hyatt Platinum status for Microsoft employees, it was posted on a couple of blogs as Hyatt allowed sign-ups from anyone who clicks on a registration link, then Hyatt rescinded the Hyatt Platinum status for those who had signed up, and modified the T&Cs to state that the Microsoft staff needs to apply via using a Microsoft intranet link or apply via the company

13. WilliamQ

WilliamQ Gold Member

Status Points:
    My guess is that Hilton will send an activation email to the student's school email account you "have" in your profile after registering for the promotion. Likely the seller has administrator control or access to multiple school accounts which will be activated on the buyer's behalf and once activated, the status is changed and the email address reverted. As these promotions are targeted to graduating (final month) students who are expected not to retain the student email address after graduation, Hilton will not be "sweeping" the database as it is pointless as all address of the participants, legit or otherwise would be changed to personal email accounts.

makes sense? Just my guess though and it's a school in UK? :)

Counsellor and DJP_707 like this.
  14. Terry Yap

Terry Yap Gold Member

Status Points:
    it's plausible, though it may be a longshot, or something a little more dubious, one wouldn't know. Like one of the earlier MP members posted, Caveat emptor, and it's the risk vs benefit appetite of the potential buyer, vs the provision of your HHonours number and PIN, and other means of obtaining HHonors Gold

it may on the other hand, also be possible for the seller to then change the PIN once provided and render the buyer unable to access his/her HHonours account.

DJP_707 likes this.
  15. DJP_707
    Original Member

DJP_707 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Agreed, however anyone willing to take the risk probably isn't a loyal hilton customer and probably has very few or no points in their account anyway.

16. DTWBOB

DTWBOB Silver Member

Status Points:
    The work around is to answer simple security questions and get the pin changed-- but this smells like a steal the points scam.

DTWBOB

17. Mark
    Original Member

Mark Admin Staff Member

Status Points:
    They wouldn't need your pin number to upgrade your account, so that's definitely sketchy.

That said - it's probably possible for the right person to upgrade your account for the next hundred years, so I believe the 2020 claim.

18. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    It's an arbitrary list of business schools, not necessarily the top programs, but it sounds to me like someone has a computer account and email address from one of the business schools to use. Perhaps it's an IT admin at one of these places creating temporary email accounts or perhaps it's just a student lending his/her own credentials who doesn't plan to use the offer for him/herself.

OTOH it could be a HH admin making the offer, in which case the status will surely be cancelled when the person is fired.

For SPG Preferred Plus, it's safer and probably cheaper to just join AAA.

19. Mark
    Original Member

Mark Admin Staff Member

Status Points:
    Well I certainly hope my contact there who does it for P2 didn't start up a side business :eek:

MSPeconomist likes this.
  20. Justsayin...

Justsayin... New Member

Status Points:
    Sounded good... 30 bucks or best offer. sent an offer for 20 bucks. changed password, pin phone number and credit card to low do one. email from Hilton this morning welcome to gold, clicked link to get new card sent. went back in, saw no evidence of any issues and no emails from Hilton saying anything was changed. put in new phone, password, pin ect... good to go! nice to get gold especially when there is a double points special on..

21. WilliamQ

WilliamQ Gold Member

Status Points:
    not saying what one should ( or should not) do but I was really just speculating if the goal of the seller was not out to outright steal your points ("legit" sale vs outright scam + theft, i.e. - I had included the quotation marks) but instead just to sell you goods of questionable origins, it was a suggestion of how it could be done based on knowledge I've previously came across. :)

22. Boraxo

Boraxo Silver Member

Status Points:
    Tempting but with 220k HH in my account I don't plan to give my PIN to some random ebay seller. There are better ways to get Gold status including CC offers. Not that I stay at Hilton anymore since the great deval.

Counsellor likes this.
  23. Counsellor
    Original Member

Counsellor Gold Member

Status Points:
  24. Travelled

Travelled Silver Member

Status Points:
  25. Terry Yap

Terry Yap Gold Member

Status Points:
    true, it may be possible to get it done ("Legit"), and sounds like it's very likely due to the graduate school route, I was cautioning more from the Hyatt example that even if it was able to get done, it may not last and get rescinded and account downgraded by HHonors, even if it the seller does not empty the buyer's account.

Coincidentally, John from LoyaltyLobby also wrote on this today :
    http://loyaltylobby.com/2014/06/26/...n-buying-hilton-hhonors-gold-status-from-ebay

under the comments section, 2 of the people reported that they had their status upgraded to Gold but downgraded to Blue within days, one who was a Silver prior to purchase.

daninstl and WilliamQ like this.