HHonors points vs points and miles

Discussion in 'Hilton | HHonors' started by adrianors, Jan 22, 2014.  |  Print Topic

1. adrianors

adrianors Silver Member

Status Points:
    Hi all,

I was just wondering.. I used to have fixed miles with Hilton, with this change last year, I have the variable ones, and since in general I have 2 days stay I almost never get more than 500 miles/stay. What is more worth to get? Points + Bonus Points or Points + Variable Miles? Did anyone did the math?

2. WhiteDesert

WhiteDesert Silver Member

Status Points:
    I switched over to points and points. I usually do one or two night stays.

3. WilliamQ

WilliamQ Gold Member

Status Points:
    I am with Points and Points too unless there are specific promotions from Hilton with Points and 2x miles or 3x miles.
    I particularly like it when there are Points + Delta (?x) miles + Delta MQMs
    i.e I will temporary change my earning preference for a particular stay. Did one of that just last December.

ffitalia likes this.
  4. Dozer

Dozer Silver Member

Status Points:
    I'm the opposite. I stuck with points and variable miles. It may not be the best choice mathematically, but I personally value my airline miles more than I do my HHonors points.

Let's do some math. Pretend I book a room for two nights at $100/night. I'm using very simple math here so please ignore the tax, etc. and assume the total is $200.00 total. Under points and miles, I would get 10 points/dollar plus 1 mile/dollar spent. That's 2000 HHonors points and 200 miles. Under the points and points, I would get 10 points/dollar and a bonus 5 points/dollar. That's 2000 HHonors points and an additional 1000 HHonors points.

So here's the real question. Is 1000 HHonors points worth more or less than 200 airline miles? Assuming HHonors points are worth .4 cents a point, 1000 HHonors points would equal to 400 cents. Assuming American AAdvantage miles are worth 1.8 cents/mile, 200 miles would equal to 360 cents. Under this math, I really should be choosing points and points. Can someone double check my math please? It's late. I'm sorry.

5. ffitalia

ffitalia Silver Member

Status Points:
    The math is correct, the question is where you have taken the values 0.4 cents/point and 1.8 cents/miles.

6. Philphactor
    Original Member

Philphactor Silver Member

Status Points:
    I changed to Points + Bonus Points, but for specific promotions, like WilliamQ, I'll change my earning preference for specific stays.

WilliamQ likes this.
  7. Dozer

Dozer Silver Member

Status Points:
    MSYgirl and WilliamQ like this.