HHonors Gold >> SPG Gold

Discussion in 'Starwood | Preferred Guest' started by betanet, Jan 16, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. I recently became an Hhonors gold, after being a starwood gold/plat for the last 5 years. So, I took it for a test run this past month and have had 3 stays... I must say that the HHonors Gold has treated me extremely well. In 2/3 stays Ive been upgraded to a suite after booking a standard room. In all 3 Ive been treated really well, got free wifi and continental breakfast. Something lacking at all of my SPG stays while being a gold... Not to mention, 2/3 suite upgrades would even be a good percentage for being an SPG Plat, would it not?

The only thing though is that I find the SPG points so much easier to accrue and use (I own a business and HHonors doesnt have a biz card), and the value for them is usually significantly better than the 3/1 ratio I would be getting for spend on their respective cards anyways.

But with these nice perks, wondering if I should just switch my loyalty to Hilton for all my paid stays anyways? For someone who doesnt spend more than 20 nights a year in a hotel, what do you guys think? Am I missing something about what could make the SPG program that much better?

Casey Friday and uggboy like this.
  2. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    Personally, I think SPG has better offerings of unique and aspirational properties on their list. The downside is that Hilton has a bigger footprint.

KENNECTED, Titans26 and uggboy like this.
  3. uggboy
    Original Member

uggboy Gold Member

Status Points:
    Not sure, is it really a downside to have a bigger footprint? Plus the benefits overall of being HHGold member is better IMHO than Starwood Gold.
    In terms of aspirations, there are many Hiltons, Conrads and WA properties around the world who would count as aspirational too.

Casey Friday, RAPC and MSPeconomist like this.
  4. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    I meant that it is a downside of SPG that Hilton has a bigger footprint. In this case, bigger seems to be better for the program.

IME the Hiltons and Conrads are more cookie cutter chain hotel properties, while LCs can be unique boutique hotels and LMs can have some French and artistic flair. There are also the W and StR brands. WAs can be great, but there are so few of them.

IMO the SPG 4 pm checkout is great.

5. Jimgotkp
    Original Member

Jimgotkp Gold Member

Status Points:
    Hilton has a better lower-level program than Starwood. If it's the higher-level tiers (Diamond vs Platinum) then I would say SPG is better. Overall, I think Starwood is better with regards to the properties and the value of SPG points. However, Hilton has a great lower/mid-level program which Starwood lacks since they only have Gold/Platinum.

flyer_o, garyst16, Jslo and 4 others like this.
  6. Philphactor
    Original Member

Philphactor Silver Member

Status Points:
    I agree with Jimgotkp ... For someone who simply doesn't have enough stays to qualify for upper levels, I've been very happy with HHonors Gold.

JLSocks, traveler, riverchica and 4 others like this.
  7. sendaiben
    Original Member

sendaiben Gold Member

Status Points:
    I would agree that HH Gold is much better than SPG Gold, and SPG Plat is better than HH Diamond.

The other thing to consider is availability of properties where you are going, ie are there going to be enough SPG hotels? Particularly outside North America, this can be a problem...

uggboy and Titans26 like this.
  8. RAPC
    Original Member

RAPC Silver Member

Status Points:
    Others have already made some good points that I agree with. HH Gold is quite possibly the best mid-tier status for any hotel program out there.

I currently have SPG Platinum and HH Diamond and I'm very happy with both. I would still rate SPG Platinum as superior in terms of potential upgrades, but at some hotels when you don't get a decent upgrade, there is nothing else on offer for a Platinum member beyond a welcome amenity and internet. At least with HH Diamond I'm guaranteed breakfast as well.

As for the point about the properties themselves, I do find that SPG are more likely to have an exceptional property rather than a standardised property as you get through the Hilton system. That said, I do hold many of the Conrads in high regard for being so consistent.

uggboy likes this.
  9. TRAVELSIG
    Original Member

TRAVELSIG Gold Member

Status Points:
    Yes- as I have I. Free internet. Consistent access to the clubs. Upgrades at all properties. Great bonus point system. HH Gold is a very good program overall. The only area where SPG is better is the website- hilton.com is atrocious.

10. MDDCFlyer

MDDCFlyer Silver Member

Status Points:
    An infrequent traveler, the Hilton Gold is the best deal in town - considering how easy it is to get it (either through credit card spend, or the MVP program, or any of the promotions that seems to be going on). Although the rumor mill on the Hilton boards seems to indicate that Diamond is going to get face lift soon.

infamousdx, Casey Friday and uggboy like this.
  11. mrredskin
    Original Member

mrredskin Gold Member

Status Points:
    on paper it looks better, but i've probably just been lucky and have been given a decent upgrade or amenity of some sort at Starwood brands the past 6-7 times I've stayed at one as a gold.

of the 3-4 Hilton stays as a gold, i've been given a room that smelled of mildew after they gave away my old room (5pm check-in), room next to elevator, and a manager who canceled my reservation two weeks prior to a stay without my approval.

just a trend, tho.

12. newbluesea
    Original Member

newbluesea Gold Member

Status Points:
    Interesting (or more to the point quite incredible :)) but I suppose it might be a little too much to ask that you restrict your far from subtle and quite biased anti-HH campaign to FT.:rolleyes:

13. mrredskin
    Original Member

mrredskin Gold Member

Status Points:
    i'm not biased. i'm choosing to stay at a doubletree for a weekend stay next month due to promos and the location to a place i'm going while there instead of an SPG property.

and, yes, it is a bit much to ask since betanet started a topic on two programs that i am a member of at those respective levels.

14. Dreamworks

Dreamworks Gold Member

Status Points:
    I was a HH Diamond last year and I'm rolling back to Gold. I'm transferring over to Starwood, mostly because of points and other areas. The benefit of the Starwood program, even without being elite, like Cash and Points, or 10,000 points a night for a property that Hilton would want 40K points a night for. I think one of the problems comparing HH Gold to SPG Gold is that they're not compatible. SPG only has two levels. And their Gold level is really more akin to HH Silver.

Also, as a Diamond, I never really felt that special when I stayed places, and while I was upgraded a few times over the year, mostly I got average rooms and would have to ask for something nicer. Overseas of course...whole different story.

Counsellor likes this.
  15. nime01
    Original Member

nime01 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Got SPG Gold matched for HH Silver some time ago, so you are right that SPG Gold is probably more like HH Silver. Now I'm HH Gold.

tondoleo and TAHKUCT like this.
  16. mattsteg
    Original Member

mattsteg Gold Member

Status Points:
    It's worth noting that 10k starpoints require more hotel spend at 2-3 points/$ than 40k hilton points at
    15-20 points/$ (including elite bonus, but not CC or the SPG plat amenity). The starwood redemption in that case is higher cost, even if the number is lower.

Dreamworks likes this.
  17. Dreamworks

Dreamworks Gold Member

Status Points:
    Good point. I suppose I find, using my SPG Amex, that my points build up faster. And Cash and Points allows me to nibble away at them with great returns on my investment.