HHonors Chat

Discussion in 'Hilton | HHonors' started by MSYgirl, Feb 13, 2014.  |  Print Topic

1. MSYgirl

MSYgirl Gold Member

Status Points:
    I figured we needed one here since many other threads have a general chat thread.

My last stay in NYC netted me 25k+ miles with the promotions. Not bad considering the points, but when redemption rates are high my 25k seems moot. I had a few issues with the last hotel stay, and they bumped up more miles as a consolation.

I've stayed at Marriotts before becoming Hilton Gold, but I'm really liking the HH product so far.

gregm, Sammich, Sweet Willie and 3 others like this.
  2. WilliamQ

WilliamQ Gold Member

Status Points:
    Do you usually double dip with points + miles? Unless there is a double or triple miles for SkyMiles, I prefer points and points. I collect Enrich miles too but they expire whereas SkyMiles do not.

uggboy likes this.
  3. MSYgirl

MSYgirl Gold Member

Status Points:
    I selected points and points.

WilliamQ likes this.
  4. markcwj

markcwj Silver Member

Status Points:
    MSYgirl likes this.
  5. gregm

gregm Gold Member

Status Points:
    Do you really like Hilton? I managed to achieve Platinum Premier with Marriott and need only 1 night to renew regular platinum status. I thought of switching to HH because of the double-dip, but I'm wondering what would benefit me more, the Marriott points or HH points with Delta SMs.

MSYgirl likes this.
  6. MSYgirl

MSYgirl Gold Member

Status Points:
    I like both products equally I'd say, but the P2 made focusing on Hilton an easy decision. I'd have to work up to status with Marriott, whereas I instantly have it with Hilton (okay, I really like the instant perks). Of course this honeymoon period only lasts one year, but I'm taking full advantage of it. I can also see a switch to Marriott for the year after or alternating between the two. I haven't really earned any substantial hotel points in the past, but I'm trying to focus on building up a supply for a future aspirational award trip.

7. gregm

gregm Gold Member

Status Points:
    Well, I stuck with Marriott because, for lack of a better reason, I've always been happy with them. Since I travel for business, I don't stay in much more than a Courtyard week to week, but when I use my points, I go for the higher end properties. I've been treated very well with free nights and award stays so I'm hesitant to change. This will be my first year as Platinum Premier and considering it doesn't earn me any more perks than regular Platinum Elite, if I'm not treated differently on my 'fun' and international trips, (as far as upgrades) I might as well try HH (after renewing my Marriott status to at least regular Platinum Elite, but I need only 1 night this year to achieve that.

MSYgirl likes this.
  8. Counsellor
    Original Member

Counsellor Gold Member

Status Points:
    If you're earning for an aspirational trip, I'd think Marriott offers a better package with their travel packages. Using those, you can essentially turn one Marriott Rewards point into one airline mile (after earning enough for the free hotel nights), and since if you play it right, you can earn up to 20* Marriott Reward points per dollar spent at most Marriotts, that means 20 airline miles per dollar spent (or currently 22 per dollar if you choose United Mileage Plus miles). I don't think you'll find anything comparable with HHonors.

* You earn 10 base points per dollar spent at most Marriott properties (however, some only give 5 per dollar, and some limit the points to the room rate, not including incidental purchases like meals, drinks, garage, etc.). If you're an elite you earn a bonus depending on which level elite you are; Platinums earn 50% bonus, or 5 additional points per dollar. Then, if you charge the bill to the Marriott Rewards Premier VISA card, you get yet an additional 5 points per dollar charged on Marriott purchases. That totals 20 points per dollar.

You can currently get a 70,000 point bonus for getting that card, and the card gives you -- among other benefits -- a bonus credit of 15 nights toward elite status every year. That gives you automatic Silver (requires 10 nights per year) with a leg up toward Gold (50 nights) or Platinum (75 nights). All in all, you can parlay your stays into quite a neat aspirational trip.

MSYgirl likes this.
  9. MSYgirl

MSYgirl Gold Member

Status Points:
    Good information, thanks. :)