HH diamond via spend and such

Discussion in 'Hilton | HHonors' started by Singapore Flyer, Nov 1, 2013.  |  Print Topic

1. Singapore Flyer

Singapore Flyer Silver Member

Status Points:
    I have a weird question/scenario. Have read that you can earn diamond with 40k spend on the branded credit cards or 120k points earned through stays. Are these points commingled within the Hilton account towards qualifying for diamond? ie. I spend 30k on credit cards that is earning me 90k points (3x on the citi reserve) and I earn the 30k points via hotel stays and such. Would that work to show I got 120k points? I ask because on my account activity I see the points posted being listed as citi reserve and others as stay points. Then there are other earning categories on the citi reserve. How would they know what spend was at a different level since it is Hilton grants status and not Citi or Amex. Does this make any sense? Or is it citi and/or Amex sends a data load of clients that hit the magical spend threshold? I am leaning towards my last guess as that makes the most sense.

Sent from my iPhone using milepoint

marcwint55 likes this.
  2. NYCUA1K

NYCUA1K Gold Member

Status Points:
    The points towards making elite status do not and cannot mix or get combined.

To be clearer: Points earned on CC spend do not count toward elite status.

For example:
    A stay that costs $2,000, which I pay with, e.g. my AMEX Surpass (12 points/$), will award the following (ignoring all other types of bonus points):

1. $2,000 x 10 HH/$ = 20,000 HH base points, which count toward elite status.
    2. ($2,000 + taxes) * 12 HH/$ = (24,000 + 12* taxes) BONUS HH points that do not count toward elite status.
    3. ($2,000 + taxes) or spend that counts toward the $40K for earning Diamond status.

So, the points and $$ do not combine. They are on separate "tracks".

Last edited: Nov 2, 2013
    Singapore Flyer and marcwint55 like this.
  3. marcwint55

marcwint55 Gold Member

Status Points:

Your last guess is correct.

Singapore Flyer likes this.
  4. Bill Hunt

Bill Hunt Silver Member

Status Points:
    From time to time, my Hilton Surpass Optima card offers me Gold status for x $'s spent. Since I got life-time Gold status years ago, that doesn't matter to me. OTOH, I get Diamond status for my HHonors Base Points (over 200K for the past several years). I do not think that those "deals" are constant, and appear from time to time.

5. NYCUA1K

NYCUA1K Gold Member

Status Points:
    The "deals" on the HHonors co-branded credit cards are constant: A $20K or $40K spend on the AMEX Surpass gets one HHonors Gold or Diamond status, respectively. On the HHonors Citi Reserve visa, a member in good standing gets automatic HHonors Gold status every year or HHonors Diamond status with a $40K spend.