HGP Points + cash check-out issue

Discussion in 'Hyatt | Gold Passport' started by IDGflygirl, May 19, 2014.  |  Print Topic

1. IDGflygirl
    Original Member

IDGflygirl Gold Member

Status Points:
    Just wanted to share an experience with the community to make folks aware to check their invoices when checking out after a P+C stay. It appears that (due to a tech glitch?) the amount that HGP remits to the property for the points portion of the stay is listed on the customer's invoice as part of the 'charges.' :eek:

So, when I was checking out this weekend (& was paying w/gift cards), both the 'cash' portion of this stay plus the internal HGP point-equivalent value was debited from my cards (I had not received a paper copy of the invoice, in advance, but had told the FD agent that I should not have any additional charges other than the cash portion of the P&C rate). As I was expecting to receive one of the cards back with the remaining value of $85.50, I knew something was wrong when the FD agent told me the remaining value was only $25.50!:( When I was handed the printed receipt, I quickly pointed out what the problem was & the agent had to get a supervisor involved for what ended up being a very time-consuming process to 'fix' the issue. In the end, they had to issue a separate gift card with the $60 that was erroneously debited from the original gift card (as they have no way to add value to an existing HGP gift card). (I do appreciate that if this was a straight credit card transaction, the overcharge would have simply been credited back to the card).

The property was very apologetic and did give me some points for my inconvenience (after I politely asked if there was anything they could do for me as an HGP diamond). :cool: It was resolved on my end, but the property still has some internal accounting to straighten out in their system.

So, just make sure to confirm what you are being charged on these P+C stays, as it appears that the system does not necessarily process them correctly (of course, it could have been 'user' error, but that is not my issue as a customer).

traveltoomuch and uggboy like this.
  2. uggboy
    Original Member

uggboy Gold Member

Status Points:
    Thanks for sharing your experiences during your recent HGP P+Cash stay. I'm sure it's very helpful to many MP'ers. I'm glad a resolution was found, plus some compensation was given.

IDGflygirl likes this.
  3. IDGflygirl
    Original Member

IDGflygirl Gold Member

Status Points:
    You're welcome!:) I figured that it might be an issue/glitch w/the Hyatt system itself -- so wanted to make others aware of this!

uggboy likes this.
  4. Jenny & Curt
    Original Member

Jenny & Curt Gold Member

Status Points:
    I had this happen at Hyatt ORD, too...but then the next week in Taiwan, all went well. Same in April in Hamburg and Berlin. Have a couple more C&Ps at ORD coming up, and I trust they'll have the system all straightened out by then.

IDGflygirl likes this.
  5. lapointdm

lapointdm Silver Member

Status Points:
    I used points plus cash at the Hyatt Regency New Orleans and paid the cash with check certificates. Although it took a more experienced agent to figure out how to get the checks through everything went fine.

IDGflygirl likes this.
  6. Jenny & Curt
    Original Member

Jenny & Curt Gold Member

Status Points:
    Yes, it hasn't been the agent's skill or lack thereof that caused the problem we had at ORD. It was that the system was somehow hard coded to charge us the cash portion we should have paid PLUS the part the property gets from Hyatt. Without being able to remove that property/Hyatt part, we couldn't pay with our check certificates, and had some aggro (finally resolved) getting the extra charge removed from our credit card. Like I said, though, we aren't likely to have been, by the time we return, the last people to have a cash & points stay, so we trust it will go smoothly, even using check certificates.

IDGflygirl likes this.
  7. storyteller
    Original Member

storyteller Gold Member

Status Points:
    In March I had a similar experience. Staff were very helpful. Seeing it was a very new change, I was the first guest who had booked in on points & cash.

They got the Manager & accountant plus front office staff all there, & we went through things. I actually knew more about it than they did.

It seems that there may be glitches where the properties are not actually Hyatt owned, & the behind the scenes accounting processes are different.

IDGflygirl likes this.