Hey, this dictionary thing is NOT GOOD

Discussion in 'Newbies' started by richinaz, Aug 17, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. richinaz
    Original Member

richinaz Silver Member

Status Points:
    Ok, not sure what recently happened but when I right click on a word I get a pop up window with a definition (or more often it says no definition). :mad:

How do I turn this off? This isn't helpful and when I right click on something I want the typical window to pop up (such as search in google, copy/paste/etc.). It works properly in this message construction window but the definition thing pops up when I'm viewing messages with FF5.0.

iolaire and Gargoyle like this.
  2. Gargoyle
    Original Member

Gargoyle Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    double clicking the word brings up the popup. Right clicking brings up the function menu that you're looking for. If you right click too soon after a double click it doesn't register, so you have to wait a brief moment to right click.

btw, highlighting also brings up the definition popup.

It would be nice if it were automatically disabled for words longer than four or five characters (I think the definitions are only three or four letter words, but Tim or someone could correct me on this)

Hope that helps.

viguera likes this.
  3. viguera
    Original Member

viguera Gold Member

Status Points:
    I agree, it should also be disabled for anything longer than a word, since obviously it doesn't work with phrases and you just get the annoying pop-up that it's too long, even though you're probably just trying to copy/paste or highlight something.

But it's actually pretty useful for new users -- and some experienced ones as well, I'm sure -- when looking up what might be common terms that you don't know yet, particularly airports or airlines that you might not be familiar with.

Gargoyle likes this.
  4. iolaire
    Original Member

iolaire Gold Member

Status Points:
    I'd like to see a delay of some sort on the pop up. Its coming up all the time for me, I guess I click a lot , and I've yet to have a lookup occure that I intended to make.

Gargoyle likes this.
  5. IMGone
    Original Member

IMGone Silver Member

Status Points:
    Definitely in favor its removal completely .... it is an unwanted and unneeded distraction, every time I highlight something to tag a place or cut/paste something.

Gargoyle likes this.
  6. richinaz
    Original Member

richinaz Silver Member

Status Points:
    That isn't true. At least not for me. For example if I highlight and right click on a word in this message I'm constructing I get the following:
    Undo, Cut, Copy, Paste, Delete, Select All, Search Google for the highlighted selection, etc.

If I simply right click on a word w/o highlight it I lose the search google option which I find invaluable. Someone may mention a subject or company and I can highlight and right click on it and find it via google in a new tab. Losing that functionality is a HUGH drawback to MP for me.

Sorry if I wasn't clear previously. The right clicking works correctly when I'm constructing a reply to a message just not when I'm viewing a message and I think MP made a significant mistake in doing this. :mad:

Gargoyle likes this.
  7. Gargoyle
    Original Member

Gargoyle Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    richinaz likes this.
  8. IMGone
    Original Member

IMGone Silver Member

Status Points:
    This isn't my experience, in this message as I create it, I get the usual cut/paste, etc options if I right-click a highlighted word nothing about google search.

If I highlight anything in the text of an existing thread, I get that (sorry for me) stupid pop up in the top right corner - always - plus now that you mentioned it, I looked and the google search is added as an option on the right click menu. I don't need that option myself, since the word is highlighted, its two secs to do a ctrl-c and ctrl-v in the google search box at the top of my browser, open a new tab and click enter ... a few steps more, but so automatic its not noticeable and it doesn't happen (for me) frequent enough that I care.

Do you use the google bar or something? I don't have those add-ons loaded, perhaps that is the difference in experience??

For me -- it's that darn pop up box that really needs to just disappear for good.

Gargoyle likes this.
  9. richinaz
    Original Member

richinaz Silver Member

Status Points:
    Nope to the google tool bar. This is currently on my work computer so I'm limited on what I can/can't do. Tonight I'll check to see how it functions.

Just seems way too awkward and wasteful when you should be able to just double click and right click and select google search and then at my convenience go look at the page in the new tab. YMMV.

Thats weird. Everything works fine for me in the post reply window. Using FF5 with Adblock 1.2.9 on Window XP

Thanks for the comments and the link to the other thread.

Gargoyle likes this.
  10. IMGone
    Original Member

IMGone Silver Member

Status Points:
    That menu option doesn't bother me and if you find it useful, they should keep it. After all, it's only visible if you click for it once highlighted ... it is that pop up that I dislike.