Hey pmUA agents, please stop complaining about SHARES!

Discussion in 'United Airlines | MileagePlus' started by Steve GadFly, Oct 14, 2013.  |  Print Topic

1. Steve GadFly
    Original Member

Steve GadFly Gold Member

Status Points:
    It seems like the United Club agents in Denver really like to complain about the "terrible 1970's computer system that won't let us do anything" when dealing with passengers. Frankly, it makes then seem like angry, bitter, lazy complainers who didn't bother to learn what they needed to learn to do their jobs.

I should note that these complaints were unsolicited and came with an eye-roll in response to a simple request (seat change, same-day-change, etc.)

This thread shouldn't become a debate on which computer system is superior. The agents have had well over a year to learn it, it's essential to their jobs, and complaining about it (especially to passengers) is extremely unprofessional.

8MiHi, KENNECTED, webdes03 and 8 others like this.
  2. gleff
    Original Member

gleff Co-founder

Status Points:
    Agents should not complain to passengers about the airline.

I do, however, understand when an agent says "I'm trying to help you, and I apologize that it's taking more time and not going smoothly as you deserve it to, unfortunately the tools I'm working with are... challenging."

The airline IMHO made a huge mistake with the tools it has given to its agents in terms of tens (at least) of millions of dollars in lost revenue (from the chaos of the botched cutover, from the inability to properly issue tickets that's caused United to have to open revenue inventory, from the times the system has been brought down, etc).

But there's also little question that many UA agents -- both pmUA and pmCO -- score poorly on this and many other front(s).

FortFun, Counsellor, tommy777 and 2 others like this.
  3. Black Cloud
    Original Member

Black Cloud Gold Member

Status Points:
    This goes well beyond SHARES and gate agents. It's endemic through the system.

Last week I had an aircraft swap between variations of a320s. When the FAs got on board and realized we were "dark" and they'd have to do a manual safety demonstration they unleashed the :rolleyes: The FA working in F told her colleague, loud enough to hear in row 3, declared "well, if we're going in the model of WN, then we should treat pax like they're flying WN. I guess this means I don't have to do pre-departure bevs in F since everyone just pays for coach anyway."

I looked at the upgrade list on the app and there were only 3 upgrades in the cabin (we were on a connection bank for Asia flights) and I was on a B fare whY ticket.

UA can talk about how customer service will differentiate the product they've willfully commoditized, but it lacks across the system. Whether its on the ground or in the air.

#1kisthefirstloser

ETA: for the record the pax facing service on the flight was fine. Just a lot of comments overheard from the galley.

Last edited: Oct 14, 2013
    unavaca, The Boat, LETTERBOY and 5 others like this.
  4. NYBanker
    Original Member

NYBanker Gold Member

Status Points:
    I suspect labor contracts wouldn't permit this...but putting a few "secret pax" in the system who could get people sacked for this behavior at the end of their shift would stop this sort of behavior very quickly.

I suspect running such a program two weeks out of the year would solve most of these sort of problems.

Opening myself up to some banker punches, I know how this sort of behavior would be dealt with in my business. :)

5. LarryInNYC

LarryInNYC Gold Member

Status Points:
    The beatings will continue until morale improves!

maradori, Flyer1976, webdes03 and 4 others like this.
  6. NYBanker
    Original Member

NYBanker Gold Member

Status Points:
    Well said. :)

In all seriousness, folks in customer facing roles in union positions often end up in these situations. Compare the F&B staff at the Plaza to the MO in NY...night and day difference. While in general firings aren't good for morale, lighting a fire under the arse of these jaded front line employees couldn't be a bad thing.

LETTERBOY likes this.
  7. Captain Oveur
    Original Member

Captain Oveur Gold Member

Status Points:
    I honestly think UA would rather have that seat used as a revenue seat rather than go that length.

LETTERBOY likes this.
  8. IMRU

IMRU Silver Member

Status Points:
    I agree with the poster that customer facing personnel should keep these frustrations to themselves, and stop complaining. My flight from NRT to IAD the other day the fa came around with "champagne, orange juice or water?" I asked for club soda. I was told "we don't do that." When I politely asked again, I got the eye roll and heard her say to her colleague: "I have a Continental guy in 6A who wants club soda [sigh]" Seriously? Get over it.

Steve GadFly and Flyer1976 like this.
  9. meFIRST

meFIRST Silver Member

Status Points:

Secret pax : Please work the IAD-DXB flights!!!!!!!!!!

The Dulles Base, IMHO is the WORST FA BASE in the UA system. Bar none.

10. Flyer1976
    Original Member

Flyer1976 Gold Member

Status Points:
    They're the most senior usually IME.

11. Captain Oveur
    Original Member

Captain Oveur Gold Member

Status Points:
    To me, SFO comes over as the most senior base.

12. Flyer1976
    Original Member

Flyer1976 Gold Member

Status Points:
    I meant the crews on the DXB route are usually fairly senior.

Last edited: Oct 31, 2013
  13. meFIRST

meFIRST Silver Member

Status Points:
    Seniority doesn't necessarily mean good service or more importantly provide good standards of safety.

In fact, I dare say some of the ladies ( and guys ) working IAD DXB are not qualified to do their job

Example :
    1) there was one FA who was extremely overweight, in fact obsess 2x. While I have no personal prejudice towards her, she could not walk the aisle in business class straight, because it's narrow, she had to walk sideways. Also she had trouble bending down to get stuff from the cart, I challenge UA to tell me how posting such an individual on a 14 hour flight is in the best interest of my safety ( other than serving as a floatation device?)
    Next time I see her I'm taking pics and posting here.

2) The FA grown at the idea of doing executive dine based on my schedule ( printed on the menu ) . Instead they spend all their time chatting at the galley about their kids, their husbands and reading US weekly and people magazine. I've never actually had breakfast on the flight coming back to Dulles, because when I wake up 1 hour prior to landing, they are too busy to serve me my breakfast, instead, the FA can be seen eating my breakfast in the galley

3) In fact, I've also flown DXB DOH a few times in business. Short flight. Sometimes they are too lazy to get me a drink, despite the usually low loads. I've demanded to see the purser a fee times, and usually obliged. ( it's like I have to ask the boss, whatever....)

I've said many times : the planes are ok, the food is ok ( passable ) , the people delivering the service really stink. Top of the list is UA. Dulles Base. I find LA, NYC(UA) / NYC (CO) ORD, SFO and CLE much more pleasant