He's MVP Of The Super Bowl. But, Did He Earn Miles

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Miles/Points' started by Pizzaman, Sep 15, 2016.  |  Print Topic

1. Pizzaman
    Original Member

Pizzaman Co-founder

Status Points:
    Saw this in Sports Illustrated yesterday. It's from a few weeks ago, but that's one heck of a summer. I wonder if he bothered earning miles. Though, I guess since he got $70MM guaranteed he might not be worried so much....

IMG_2286.jpg

2. Pizzaman
    Original Member

Pizzaman Co-founder

Status Points:
  3. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    Doing 71k all in North America in a 5-month window is aggressive, but not that crazy. I had 78k on 46 flights in the same time frame. Surprisingly (to me) only one more redeye than him, despite visiting both Asia and Europe during that window.

4. Pizzaman
    Original Member

Pizzaman Co-founder

Status Points:
    The miles aren't overly crazy, no. But, the fact that it's all domestic makes it a bit more painful.

5. misman
    Original Member

misman Gold Member

Status Points:
    Nowhere in the article does it say if he was flying commercial or private (except the helicopter which, I assume, was private.)

March 24: Helicopter from L.A. => Oklahoma City for Texas A&M vs. Oklahoma in men’s NCAA tournament Sweet 16

6. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    There's roughly zero chance he flew 1100 miles in a helicopter that day.

Pizzaman and satman40 like this.
  7. mowogo
    Original Member

mowogo Gold Member

Status Points:
    Most likely commercial, which means most of the flights on United if he was earning miles. In addition to the hub in Denver, the airline is heavily sponsoring the Broncos (The club level at Mile High is called the United Club)

8. Steve GadFly
    Original Member

Steve GadFly Gold Member

Status Points:
    I've been doing more than that pace or more (all domestic) for 15+ years with real work everywhere I go (averaging 2-3 cities per week). It's pretty painful but the new RDM earning scheme have helped a lot. In the old days, I had years where I flew ~200 segments and spent ~$40,000 but barely cracked 75,000 miles.