Hertz vs National

Discussion in 'Hertz | #1 Awards/#1 Club' started by WilliamQ, Apr 14, 2014.  |  Print Topic

1. WilliamQ

WilliamQ Gold Member

Status Points:
    Was not expecting this.

I was looking for rentals in October 2014, at the SNA airport.

Tried National first and got a price quotation (including all insurances) for USD 120.69 a day. Thought this looks really ex for a compact vehicle.

Went over to Hertz and the same conditions pulled a quote for only USD 72.08.

upload_2014-4-14_16-24-29.png

upload_2014-4-14_16-24-37.png

B1BomberVB, gregm and Newscience like this.
  2. gregm

gregm Gold Member

Status Points:
    Surprising. If I had to pay my own car rentals, I would never use Hertz. They always seem to be more than anyone else.

traveltoomuch and WilliamQ like this.
  3. WilliamQ

WilliamQ Gold Member

Status Points:
    I am just as surprised but I cannot find a suitable reason for skipping them this October in CA at a 40% 'discount' over National.
    The last time I compared for a March rental in Seattle, National won hands down.

Hertz also gets me SkyMiles with no extra fees Usually more miles for medallion and I am a GM.
    National has a Frequent Traveler Service Charge based on the Federal Excise Tax (7.5%) expense

B1BomberVB and gregm like this.
  4. WilliamQ

WilliamQ Gold Member

Status Points:
    October 9th - October 11th
    Toyota Corolla or similar
    San Francisco Airport

Hertz: USD 150.34
    National: USD 242.12

upload_2014-9-25_14-24-59.png upload_2014-9-25_14-25-26.png

5. newbluesea
    Original Member

newbluesea Gold Member

Status Points:
    Lately Hertz has been consistently cheaper ( more so with their current promo rate for NA and Europe) than just about all the major car rental companies and National seems to be coming out the most expensive, If you use some of the popular discount codes you can bring down some but not enough to be beat Hertz's
    I recently did two bookings with Hertz (plus three more upcoming in Europe) despite being and Emerald club member for 20??? years.

WilliamQ likes this.
  6. WilliamQ

WilliamQ Gold Member

Status Points:
    That's what I am seeing. Thought it's useful info to share out with specifics especially the past impression is that Hertz is amongst the most expensive.

With almost a $100 difference on a two days rental, and Delta tie-up, my rental has been reserved.

Good for Hertz and a pity on National as I thought I would be growing a relationship with them due to the MP PM2 status.

7. theworldofmarye

theworldofmarye Silver Member

Status Points:
    I've been renting Hertz from a city location on monthly rates. I've been getting a price for about $500.00 per month! Try applying zalyn.com coupons or Triple A coupons.