Hertz Transfer Desk webite

Discussion in 'Hertz | #1 Awards/#1 Club' started by Bob Smolinsky, Feb 13, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. Bob Smolinsky
    Original Member

Bob Smolinsky Gold Member

Status Points:
    Although the first time up (or at least that I saw) was during the Volcano mess, and up ever since then, is a website with a list of cars, per EU country, that for a discount, need a one way trip home:

http://www.hertz-transfer.eu/

jbcarioca and jackal like this.
  2. jbcarioca
    Original Member

jbcarioca Gold Member

Status Points:
    I have used the transfer desk, usually Spain to France. It is a really good way to do one way rental, the only way without paying huge fees.

Bob Smolinsky likes this.
  3. Hello JB,

As you've used this service I'd really appreciate if you could relay your experience! Someone posted on Flyertalk in October 2010:
    I'm wondering which country's number you called. When I rang the UK number, the Irish chap at the other end said he thought it only cost £1 (surprising) and you get 48 hours to deliver the car to a Hertz office that you can specify in its home country, but that you have to telephone the specific office where the car is currently located.

I would also like to get a car from Bordeaux (there are always loads listed) to take over the border to Spain, but will be less inspired if what another poster says on Flyertalk is true:
    This pretty much defeats the object of a bargain deal where you and Hertz are effectively scratching each other's backs in an amicable arrangement. This would be particularly so from the UK where you're transporting the car across the channel for them!

The amount of vagueness surrounding Hertz Transfers is surprising -- they give very little information on their website. Any elaboration you can give would be hugely appreciated!

jbcarioca likes this.
  4. jbcarioca
    Original Member

jbcarioca Gold Member

Status Points:
    IME the vagueness is the result of the basic purpose of the transfer desk. The deals are all ad hoc IME. If there are lots of cars to be moved from where you want to depart to where you want to go the deals are much more aggressive than otherwise. My personal best ever deal was from MAD to CDG at a time when there were dozens of cars to get from MAD to France. I had my choice and took an almost new BMW 520D for , IIRC, Euro30 per day unlimited mileage. On another trip HAM-CDG about two years agoI had a Peugeot 607 that cost Euro 35 per day. My most frequent trip has been BCN-NCE on which route I have had an assortment of vehicles, mostly medium to large. They always cost me roughly Euro 35-40 per day and i was allowed however long I wanted. They always have included my corporate perks, notably CDW.

I have always called the Hertz office from which I wanted to rent, although I have also tried the transfer desk numbers shown for the country from which i want to rent. The pricing and availability seem to be up to the renting station manager, possibly in consultation with the owning station. That is my guess. I have always had a normal reservation as a backup. However you do it, don't expect consistency. It seems not to happen. That is the price of an overstock special. I like them!!

5. Many many thanks for your reply JB! It's the most comprehensive account I've ever read about experiences with Hertz Transfer.

The other night I called London Heathrow airport's Hertz office re. the five French cars listed as being there and they referred me to the central office. The automated computer voice recognition woman was maddening, but if you tell it "Web Query", it puts you straight through to a human. The very friendly human I got through to suggested calling the central reservation number about four or five days before the start of the required hire, and to call around 10pm or later -- that way, he suggested, both the central office and the Hertz station would be not so busy as it could maybe be all sorted out there and then.

When I call (to get a car from England, dropping off in Lille), I'll try sorting out a Bordeaux to Bilbao car at the same time -- fingers crossed. I have back-up plans for both if neither works out (ferry/train) and I already have a standard Hertz booking for one week's car hire in Spain (pick up Bilbao, drop off Valladolid). I'll be setting off on the trip on 5th July so will relay my experience here, hopefully for the benefit of others.

Many thanks again!

jbcarioca likes this.
  6. jbcarioca
    Original Member

jbcarioca Gold Member

Status Points:
    Good luck. We will be interested to hear about your experience. IMO Bordeaux to Spain might be manageable. Luckily, anyplace in Spain (not the original renting location only) works, so Bilbao ought to OK if there is a car for Spain. There are four cars available at this moment in Bordeaux to go to Spain according to the website.

7. Sorry for the delay in replying, but here's the update to my demoralising experience. I intend to write a letter the Hertz about it but have yet to muster the enthusiasm...!

I decided to call Hertz Dover office a day or two before my trip and try to get a car from there -- a French car to drop off at Lille. Even though they had French cars needing taking back across the channel, they quoted me £250 (€285/$390) for a two-day hire of an Economy model. Absurd. I said "Even though you need these cars taking back to France anyway?" He said "That's what the computer says -- I have no authority to change that". So I got the ferry and train to Lille...

A couple of days later in Bordeaux, they had about five cars needing taking back to Spain. I went to the Hertz desk at Bordeaux main train station with a copy of my Hertz reservation in Bilbao that I was due to collect in two days' time from then. I also had a copy of the Hertz Transfer webpage (in French) and pointed out the "great rates" wording on there. I made the point that it was "an advantage" to Hertz to have their Spanish car taken back to Spain for free.

The guy actually found the brown envelope with the car key in and had the key in his hand while he made a phone call. I didn't follow it as it was in rapid French, but when he finished the call, he said "For this car for two days [pointing to the Hertz Transfer list] to take to Bilbao is NINE HUNDRED EURO (£780/$1,230). Completely ludicrous. The guy at the desk seemed to agree that it was a bit idiotic but that there was nothing he could do.

Relying on the assumption that this Hertz Transfer thing would be a practical and relatively inexpensive way to get where I needed to be wasted me a lot of time and money (I had two "Plan B's" that I had to resort to in both cases). I really ought to write to Hertz -- the website is extremely misleading:

That which they state there is clearly false. Lies. You call the call centre numbers and the people tell you that the website doesn't even exist. If anyone knows the names of the UK and the European Director of Customer Services, I'd like to write to them both personally and ask them to try booking a car themselves following the instructions on their website!

jbcarioca likes this.
  8. jbcarioca
    Original Member

jbcarioca Gold Member

Status Points:
    I have never had that experience, but several others have had. It seems UK locations are often problems but I have not heard before about French ones. This sounds like two very bad experiences.:mad: Just to clarify, you called the numbers given to you on the transfer desk website? Did you print the extract from the site? Complaints definitely seem to be in order, but we also all need to figure out how to reduce the fequency of these problems. After all, Hertz desk agents will never get awards for good training!

9. I called the UK number three times and got three different answers:
    • It costs £1 and you have 48 hours to get it to the home country -- but the bookings have to be booked at short notice
    • The website was only up during the Eyjafjallajökull volcanic ash cloud in April 2010, but the website is now dead [they insist even though it's still being updated daily]
    • The website does not exist at all [even when you give them the URL they still insist like a robot that it does not exist]
    So instead I tried phoning the car rental offices direct.

I also tried phoning the French central number ("Pardon Madame, je ne parle pas Français; parlez vous Anglais?") but they didn't speak English and my French is barely existent, so that didn't work. I phoned Bordeaux airport Hertz office and the nice woman there told me to phone the central number. I called Bordeaux train station Hertz office and the surly woman there said to just to book the car(?) but wouldn't tell me how. She was really rather nasty and patronising but wouldn't give any information. "I understand, SIR; just book the car and I will find a car for you." But at what price? 900 euros??? I could get a flight to New Zealand and back for that.

When I went in person to the Hertz desk in Bordeaux main station I showed a print-out of the France section of the Hertz Transfer website (in French) listing the cars.

I've today written a letter to a senior UK manager by name (a written letter through the post rather than an email) -- if/when I get a reply I'll post my letter and the reply here. The gist of the letter was to describe my frustrating experiences, request that he himself try booking according to the website instructions; if his experience is just as bad as mine, then I request they inform their sales staff that THAT WEBSITE EXISTS AND IS REAL!! And TRAIN THEIR STAFF how to deal with customers who request these cars! Or if none of that works, remove the website from the internet to stop misleading any more hapless customers.

jbcarioca likes this.
  10. jbcarioca
    Original Member

jbcarioca Gold Member

Status Points:
    That is what your previous post implied but it is good to have the details. What a really horrible experience! I hope you do post your replies. Something seems to have gone very, very wrong. I hope this is not a portent of the future of the Transfer desk. The reply you get will give us a good idea, I hope.