Hertz Platinum Offer

Discussion in 'Hertz | #1 Awards/#1 Club' started by Art234, Jun 9, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. Art234
    Original Member

Art234 Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    So I get an email yesterday offering me the opportunity to upgrade my Hertz membership to Platinum..something I thought was by invitation only. I had seen the offer to Presidents Circle before but this is the first I had seen of this type.

I almost got excited about it until I read the fine print including the price....$1275. I think not......
    They must really need the cash....noticed the cars are getting long in the tooth too, except for the one in ATL today which was brand new.

jbcarioca and gleff like this.
  2. sobore
    Original Member

sobore Gold Member

Status Points:
    For $1275 I'll buy a used car when I get to my destination. :p

Grace, jbcarioca, jasher926 and 5 others like this.
  3. RestlessLocationSyndrome
    Original Member

RestlessLocationSyndrome Silver Member

Status Points:
    When I originally heard about this program a few months ago, I thought it was awesome thinking that platinum members got the benefits for free. If that was the case for older members, definitely a great value. Personally, I'll pass and drag my fat ass to pick up my car myself.

tommy777 likes this.
  4. tommy777
    Original Member

tommy777 Co-founder

Status Points:
    Have gotten this many times and it always makes me laugh. :

5. Pizzaman
    Original Member

Pizzaman Co-founder

Status Points:
    I've actually paid for this service the last 2 years at a rate of $1200(laughter commences). While the price is high, I generally rent 25-35 cars a year from Hertz. So, that breaks down to about $50 a rental (yes, I rounded up).

For the airports I frequent, I get more value at some and less at others. For example, I reserve a full-size at DEN, then I call and tell them exactly what vehicle I want. Voila! So, that's a definite cost savings for me when I need/want a specific vehicle.

Also, I save roughly 30-45 minutes on each rental by being picked up and dropped off. As a guy who travels WAAAY too much for my comfort level, having that time back is invaluable.

Finally, it's good for emergencies. I've called a few times when a location was "sold out", and always gotten a car, even once in NYC 20 minutes after I called.

Definitely not a service for everyone, but I get my value out of it.

6. tommy777
    Original Member

tommy777 Co-founder

Status Points:
    I'm quite sure you would get the exact same service as a PC if you rent 90% of your rentals from one location ;)

jbcarioca likes this.
  7. Pizzaman
    Original Member

Pizzaman Co-founder

Status Points:
    Blah, blah blah. :p
    DEN wouldn't help me get a car at a sold-out location in NYC when I have a Norwegian stowing away in my trunk for the drive to IAD.

jbcarioca likes this.
  8. tommy777
    Original Member

tommy777 Co-founder

Status Points:
    Yeah, that dented Camry was nice. The million dollar (or 1200 dollar) question is: Would you pay this out of your own pocket? I think not :p

jbcarioca likes this.
  9. Pizzaman
    Original Member

Pizzaman Co-founder

Status Points:
    I can definitely say it was the nicest Camry I've ever driven. Small sample size. :p
    And, in the immortal words of tommy777, I AM a Texas oil billionaire. So, of course I would.

jbcarioca likes this.
  10. Art234
    Original Member

Art234 Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    So you finally DID figure out what was rattling around in your trunk?

The only value it has for me is the guaranteed car...I have had three or four incidences in CLT this year where EVERYONE was sold out, and I wound up with a third world car rental company.....but I still say $1200 is too much.

jbcarioca likes this.
  11. Pizzaman
    Original Member

Pizzaman Co-founder

Status Points:
    You've seen him, it's really more than a rattle. :p

If you only see the benefits 3 or 4 times a year, then I would agree it's a bad value proposition for you. One other feature I enjoy is that they will allow me to occasionally extend the benefits to employees or family members. I don't do it very often, but it's a nice perk for my 1200 clams.

jbcarioca likes this.
  12. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    For $1200 they have to provide LH F-like service and drive me straight to the aircraft (and pick me up there as well).

jbcarioca likes this.
  13. Bob Smolinsky
    Original Member

Bob Smolinsky Gold Member

Status Points:
    Actually, for people who rent say one or two times a year, weekly basis, in a major city like NYC, a prestige, this is not a bad deal.

So it all depends on your rental tendencies.

jbcarioca likes this.
  14. jbcarioca
    Original Member

jbcarioca Gold Member

Status Points:
    Ah, CLT. Remember that CLT is a licensee so they often choose not to honor status. As a PC I have had CLT downgrade me and refuse to reduce my rate. Not up, but down. They also insist that PC do not have guaranteed upgrades. I show them the official Hertz policy and they say, "we do not follow that practice". I really do not like non-corporate Hertz locations!

15. sithlord
    Original Member

sithlord Silver Member

Status Points:
    The 50 mile car pickup and dropoff would be a nice benefit. Perhaps a list of locations that give prestige on full size are higher would be a good start.

jbcarioca likes this.
  16. Pizzaman
    Original Member

Pizzaman Co-founder

Status Points:
    Haven't tested 50 miles, but tested about 15 from LAX, when we had to leave a car there and have Hertz come pick it up later. I'm sure there were local editions closer than 15 miles, but nevertheless they gave us no grief about picking it up from the hotel after we left.

jbcarioca likes this.
  17. gleff
    Original Member

gleff Co-founder

Status Points:
    I've been an Avis Chairman for a bit over 5 years, lots of similarities to what Hertz offers though my sense is that Avis upgrades are better. I haven't been shelling out for it, but it really comes down to frequency. For someone renting once a month probably not worth it. Once a week is a different story. Personally I love not riding the shuttle back to the airport, being driven to the terminal in my car, and also not filling up the gas tank (I haven't refilled a tank in 5 years...) becaue they charge me slightly below market rate for actual gas used. And that's even apart from the upgrades, the complimentary delivery within 25 miles, etc. The "Avis Welcomes gleff" signs are sometimes over the top.

But a couple months ago in SAN I was expecting to have to transport 5 people with 5 rollaboards in my car, So I rang up the location, told them what I needed. And they have a monster of an SUV for me, brand new to boot. (Not as big as the Hummer I was offered in FLL...) Now, I landed and found out that a flight delay meant I didn't need to transport all those people... told them I didn't need the huge SUV after all. So they apologized to me and found me something else.

It's nice to be treated well by the car rental company. It's an often overlooked part of the travel experience. Is it $1200 nice? That depends on you. And if I didn't have status with Avis I'd probably focus on National...

jbcarioca likes this.
  18. sithlord
    Original Member

sithlord Silver Member

Status Points:
    I have status with all 3 and find carwise hertz, national, avis in that order and thats with chairman.Some locations will let me select prestige and some won't so I will make 3 rezzies and see who will get me the car I want. Phx,Las,Iad,Bwi,Lax,Sfo are generous with upgrades and maybe other posters have other locations that are as well.

jbcarioca likes this.
  19. Christian Martinez
    Original Member

Christian Martinez Gold Member

Status Points:
    As one of the Plats on the group, I can say that it's an immensely great status. But that's for me. I love my sports cars, I love my Prestige Collection so being able to get the upgrade to these cars for the same price as a Camry has saved me more money in one year then the $1250 fee. I'm a car guy so what I drive matters way too much to me compared to the averager FF'er. I looked into Avis Chairman but Avis has an obsession with American Cars and I don't share the same enthusiasm. The Airport drop off worked for me on 4th of July weekend as I was in San Diego at 1240pm and my flight was at LAX at 3pm. I was literally running in the terminal to get to my flight and I barely made it. If not for the drop off service, I would have missed my flight (and my upgrade).

jbcarioca likes this.
  20. gleff
    Original Member

gleff Co-founder

Status Points:
    Many Avis locations don't have particularly high-end cars, though I've had my share of Infinitis it's more often than not a Cadillac. But what's the general experience with Hertz Platinum upgrades, how many high end luxury cars are you getting?

jbcarioca likes this.
  21. Christian Martinez
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Infiniti G37, M37, FX35, QX56 if I need the space. I've gotten the Corvette, Mercedes E350, GLK350 and C300 in the past.

22. Pizzaman
    Original Member

Pizzaman Co-founder

Status Points:
    The warm weather cities tend to have a good variety of foreign sedans, convertibles and other fun cars to drive. Infitis seem to be very popular at most of the locations I frequent, both sedans and SUVs. There's also the special requests, like calling up and asking for a brand new Toyota Siena for my bosses wife when she was going to need a car for a month. They happily obliged, even though most of the minivans are Chryslers.

jbcarioca likes this.
  23. Christian Martinez
    Original Member

Status Points:
    I should get LAX to do that for a Nissan 370Z. :D

jbcarioca likes this.
  24. Combine that with Hertz retiree code 028890 with 40% off and your all set!

25. What a great cdp!