Hertz plans to install tablets in every car to expedite pickups and returns

Discussion in 'Hertz | #1 Awards/#1 Club' started by sobore, Apr 2, 2013.  |  Print Topic

1. sobore
    Original Member

sobore Gold Member

Status Points:
    http://skift.com/2013/04/02/hertz-sees-the-need-for-speed-and-plans-for-a-tablet-in-every-car/

[​IMG]

Road warriors renting cars want speed and Hertz plans to introduce tablets later this year in the company’s cars and to expand the deployment of ExpressRent audio/video kiosks at rental locations to get customers in and out of their vehicles faster.

Speaking at an investor day in Manhattan today, CEO Mark Frissora cited a Maritz Research customer experience study showing renters value the speed of the pickup most highly among their preferences, followed by the speed of the return process.

Read More: http://skift.com/2013/04/02/hertz-sees-the-need-for-speed-and-plans-for-a-tablet-in-every-car/

Newscience, GoodBoy and uggboy like this.
  2. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    Where is the tablet in that photo? I just see redundant nav systems.

sobore and GoodBoy like this.
  3. sobore
    Original Member

sobore Gold Member

Status Points:
    That was my question. I'd like to see how these tablets are tethered to the vehicle.

4. FancyCloth

FancyCloth New Member

Status Points:
    I just see redundant nav systems.

5. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    It's called Hertz Never Ever Lost™

6. viguera
    Original Member

viguera Gold Member

Status Points:
    I think the problem is that as long as people go around them and rent from third party sources to save a buck (priceline, hotwire, whatever) and that requires going to the desk instead of the kiosk, things are going to be just as bad and this won't help much.

I never have any problems using a kiosk (at locations where they actually have some) and getting in/out of the rental relatively quickly. However I was at SFO last Saturday and the line at the Hertz counter was about 50-60 people long... good thing I rented from National that day :)

7. bigx0

bigx0 Gold Member

Status Points:
    I don't really know how much time this could save. Last National rental I had, my receipt was ready before I even opened the car door. They must have some sort of transponder onboard to relay the mileage to the little handheld computer because they never checked the odometer.

viguera likes this.
  8. viguera
    Original Member

viguera Gold Member

Status Points:
    I think technology is already the point where people can (and do) reserve, pick up, drive, return and pay for a rental without ever having to talk to a human being.

The problem is twofold though... car rental companies use the technology as perks, with the whole "just walk to the aisle and go" and convenience features for elite members.

The biggest problem of course is people... there's always people that will want to talk to a human being behind a desk, or don't want to add their credit card information to their profile to be able to handle payment, or they want a car seat or GPS or whatever.

9. marciodompieri

marciodompieri New Member

Status Points:
    We had a very bad time in Orlando, waiting on line for 50 minutes to get to the desk. If that works, would be wonderful, although I don´t intend to rent again with Hertz n the near future...