Hertz on Demand (was Hertz Connect)

Discussion in 'Hertz | #1 Awards/#1 Club' started by bk3day, Jul 4, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. bk3day
    Original Member

bk3day Gold Member

Status Points:
    Apologies if old news but I just noticed this splash ad on Hertz's front page. I'd read about but had always dismissed Connect as having no real value for my purposes.

Can anyone familiar with Connect weigh in as to whether any substantive changes have been made to the HoD program?

http://www.hertzondemand.com

Hertz On Demand™ is a pay-as-you go car membership club, and it couldn't be simpler. It's the luxury of having a car, without the hassles of owning one. And with zero membership fees, you only pay for the car when you use it, so you can hit the road with savings.

Enjoy the many benefits of being a Hertz On Demand™ member:

• Free Membership, no enrollment or annual fees
    • Rent by the hour or by the day
    • 24/7 Vehicle Access
    • Gas & Insurance Included
    • 180 Miles Per 24 Hour Period
    • Luxury and Green vehicle options
    • One Way & Round trip Service Available (even to the airport!)
    • Guaranteed weekday availability (Mon.-Thurs.)
    • 24/7 In Car Member Care

Did you know? Every Hertz On Demand™ vehicle takes 14 personal cars off the road. Reduce your carbon footprint today.

Join for Free and use Promotional Code “ZEWEB25” to receive $25 in Driving Credits*.

For more information and to join for free, visit hertzondemand.com.

sobore, jbcarioca and SC Flier like this.
  2. SC Flier
    Original Member

SC Flier Gold Member

Status Points:
    I had no idea that they offered this in my city. It's at a lot of college locations.

jbcarioca likes this.
  3. adexpert
    Original Member

adexpert Silver Member

Status Points:
    So what's the hourly rate? They have one location in Chicago but Zipcar is everywhere

SC Flier and jbcarioca like this.
  4. SC Flier
    Original Member

SC Flier Gold Member

Status Points:
    I haven't signed up yet to find out.

5. malige

malige Active Member

Status Points:

Hi. I came across your post. Thanks for asking.

Connnect by Hertz will now be known as Hertz on Demand! We have made this change to take full advantage of all the benefits and strengths of Hertz. Customers will appreciate the changes we have made recently of free membership, expanded one way service, and a larger variety of both luxury and green vehicle options. We are very excited about our new look and program enhancements.

Check us out at www.hertzondemand.com.

Vish Malige

Hertz

www.twitter.com/hertz

6. SC Flier
    Original Member

SC Flier Gold Member

Status Points:
    Welcome to milepoint, malige!

Can you provide some sample rates?

7. Ktremor

Ktremor Silver Member

Status Points:
    I signed up for it as I get the $25 credit and there are some options near me here in RI and Boston.

Here are some sample rates around me:
    I chose next Wednesday 7/13 from 11:45am-2:45pm

University of Rhode Island:
    Toyota Rav4: Estimated Cost $30.62 (est $10.00 hr)

Reserve at Marina Bay - Quincy, MA (just outside Boston):
    [​IMG]Volvo C70 Estimated Cost: $48.61 (16.20/hr)

[​IMG]Mazda 6 Estimated Cost: $44.63 ($14.87/hr)

Boston University (Cambridge St)- Boston, MA
    [​IMG]Toyota Rav4: $47.81 ($15.93/ hr)

Weekend rates for these cars was about $10 more for the three hour period.

SC Flier likes this.
  8. adexpert
    Original Member

adexpert Silver Member

Status Points:
    Unless you want a specific model, this doesn't seem very economical if you have access to a competitive CDP

9. al613
    Original Member

al613 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Don't forget, it includes the gas. But with zipcar I pay $7 an hour for any car.

10. Ktremor

Ktremor Silver Member

Status Points:
    I am traveling to DC next week and tried to see what was offered there and they have 3 Smart Cars at Union Station for $8/hr. I have driven a Smart Car, but not a big fan of them.

HaveMilesWillTravel likes this.
  11. Mrp Alert

Mrp Alert Silver Member

Status Points:
  12. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    That page seems to offer a $25 bonus, not $75, unless I am missing something?

13. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

Status Points:
    I always wanted to try a Smart Car. For $8/hr this might be my opportunity to test-drive one :)

14. Ktremor

Ktremor Silver Member

Status Points:
    Last week I got my membership card, which you use to get into the car when you rent one.

15. DCAview
    Original Member

DCAview Silver Member

Status Points:
    Hertz on Demand or Zipcar will almost never be competitive with a good CDP (or with no CDP in most cases) for a daylong rental. Where these services find their sweet spot is is in the two-to-four-hour weekday rental, like an Ikea trip or an airport pickup -- or both if you live near EWR.

One thing that folks without their own cars should bear in mind, however, is that Hertz on Demand only provides liability insurance to the state-required minimum levels, which quite possibly may be insufficient if you are involved in an accident in which a third party is injured or has his or her vehicle damaged.

To blatantly borrow a post of mine on that other forum:

16. I've been a member of CbH and now HoD for a couple years now.

The big changes from CbH to HoD that I've noticed are:

1) There are some options for one-way rentals with HoD that didn't exist with CbH (but not with the cars parked by my building, which must be returned to the same spot)
    and
    2) You can no longer rent "on demand," as the new website won't let you book a car less than 15 minutes in advance. This was NOT the case with CbH (which had a terrible website but at least let me book with just a few minutes notice).

I've complained about the second thing--pointing out the irony of renaming the service "on demand" while introducing a mandatory waiting period-- and their customer service ignored me. It's quite frustrating to be able to see a car out my window and not be able to actually drive it for 15-29 minutes after I decide I want to go somewhere (such as when I get home late and want to drive the baby sitter home instead of paying for a cab).

HaveMilesWillTravel and SC Flier like this.
  17. SC Flier
    Original Member

SC Flier Gold Member

Status Points:
    Welcome to milepoint, themicah!

18. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

Status Points:
    What reason could they possibly have for this? Surely they must know their inventory real-time, i.e., it's not like some Hertz dude is going out to the lot to check if it's really there in the 30 mins you have to wait. Bizarre. The way this should work in the year 2011 is that the car has a barcode and you scan that with your iPhone and book it as you are standing in front of it (in addition to the traditional website, of course).

SC Flier likes this.
  19. Thanks for the welcome. Some of you may know me from FT, but I was reminded of the existence of this site by the mega do story in the WSJ last week.

My guess is that the only reason for the waiting period is that they redesigned their website and whoever did the programming didn't think real-time reservations mattered. It's just stupid, though. If there's a car parked outside my building and nobody has reserved it for the next hour, I should be able to just get in and drive.

One of these days I'll have to test and see if I can either make the real-time res on the phone or book it for 15-29 minutes from now and just see if I can take the car early. But since they ALSO just swapped out the cars parked by my apartment for larger, more expensive vehicles, I may not be doing that any time soon.