Hertz Ireland: surprise charges

Discussion in 'Hertz | #1 Awards/#1 Club' started by traveltoomuch, Aug 8, 2014.  |  Print Topic

1. traveltoomuch

traveltoomuch Silver Member

Status Points:
    I rented a car in Ireland and found two charges on the final bill that were not part of the original quote: a €30 "administrative charge", apparently for declining their insurance, and a €5 credit card fee.

The car was booked directly with Hertz, and the booking confirmation email made no mention of either fee.

It seems they are disclosed in the location-specific fine print somewhere on Hertz's website, if one goes looking, but they're not in any of the standard disclosures. The depth of burying makes this feel like a bait-and-switch.

Hertz customer service in Ireland never responded and Oklahoma City just gave a brush-off. Any suggestions for where to go next?

Last edited: Aug 13, 2014
    iolaire and Newscience like this.
  2. Newscience

Newscience Gold Member

Status Points:
    Have you tried to dispute the charges on your credit card by calling the issuing credit card company and telling them your story?

3. MX

MX Gold Member

Status Points:
    I agree with @Newscience. Your Quote/Rental Agreement is the place to list all charges. You don't even need to mention to the CC company about the fine print on Hertz's website - it's not a reasonable place (unless your agreement contains them as well).

traveltoomuch and Newscience like this.
  4. Pizzaman
    Original Member

Pizzaman Co-founder

Status Points:
    I'd take another run at Oklahoma. I've had good luck getting them to waive fees that weren't properly disclosed.

5. traveltoomuch

Status Points:
    Credit card dispute is in progress. I filed it online, which may have been a mistake - Chase's online dispute tool, unlike Amex's, does not allow document uploads or otherwise allow the full story to be collected. We'll see how it goes. And I'll make another pass at Oklahoma City as Pizzaman suggests.

daninstl and Newscience like this.
  6. Pizzaman
    Original Member

Pizzaman Co-founder

Status Points:
    Please report back and let us know how you made out.

traveltoomuch likes this.
  7. traveltoomuch

Status Points:
    OKC said "no" on the second pass: "...these fees are advised at the time of rental and are advised in the rental qualifications and requirements section when booking via the Hertz website. When confirming a reservation via the Hertz Website, it is the responsibility of the booking party to verify all conditions."

To provide context, the "rental qualifications and requirements section" is a pop-up with 29 distinct, separately-loaded pages. Which, and this was a bit of a surprise, are destination specific. There's no simple "here are the oddball things about renting from Dublin" - and each much be loaded separately, and presumably each much be read for each Hertz location you want to rent from.

The Chase dispute is still pending.

Here's a screenshot showing what you'd have to read through to do what Hertz suggests:

upload_2014-8-13_16-41-53.png

Last edited: Aug 13, 2014
    iolaire likes this.
  8. daninstl

daninstl Gold Member

Status Points:
    Wow. This really makes me want to rent a car from Hertz in Ireland :(

9. Pizzaman
    Original Member

Pizzaman Co-founder

Status Points:
    Look, I love Hertz in the US. But, the international franchises are wildly inconsistent. While I've had good luck getting Hertz corporate to make things right when I got back home, I've had 3 instances just in the past year where an international location really put the screws to me on something.

In two of those instances, it was incredibly high insurance amounts, and if you didn't take the Hertz insurance they required a credit card authorization in the thousands of dollars and the signing of an open-ended acceptance of liability.

Since I use the AMEX insurance and it's automatically charged when I rent a car, I was kinda screwed. While I might have been able to protest a charge when I got back to the US, I was being forced to sign a very open-ended authorization, so not sure how well a protest would stand up.

At any rate, I'm cautious when renting from Hertz internationally now, unfortunately. I used to rely on them to be an honest operation outside of the US, hence the reason I was willing to pay more. I'm less skeptical.

10. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    Which locations were the ones that made you sign an open-ended credit card auth, and how are you now being more cautious? Is there a way to find out ahead of time other than by carefully researching here and on FT?

11. newbluesea
    Original Member

newbluesea Gold Member

Status Points:
    Ireland is not one easiest countries ( in terms of restrictions etc etc) to rent a car. One of the main reasons is that a relatively high percentage of drivers do not hold driver licenses .. one can drive a car with a learners permit and many drivers do not bother to go on to get a proper license. The authorities have tried to crack done on this with limited success .

The use of Amex for International insurance is all well and good but Amex specifically states that their cards are not valid for insurance coverage in Ireland (among a number of other countries) .. that is one of the reasons (perhaps the only one) why I still keep my Diners club card since they do provide primary coverage in the places Amex will not.

There are many countries or rental car operators overseas that insists the renter sign open ended or high limited charge slip if they decline the excess coverage I have done this too many times to even count and without any problems with the knowledge that card will full provide coverage.
    It should also be noted that should you accept the rental coverage that may/will in turn negate your card coverage.
    The intricacies involving the above has been extensively discussed elsewhere.

Last edited: Aug 15, 2014
    B1BomberVB likes this.
  12. Pizzaman
    Original Member

Pizzaman Co-founder

Status Points:
    Off the top of my head, Panama and San Jose del Cabo come to mind most recently.

Hertz corporate seemed to have no idea either was doing it, got a pre-programmed line about franchises in other countries having their own rules.

Flyer1976 and traveltoomuch like this.
  13. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    Thanks. I have always been reluctant about renting cars in Mexico :)

Hertz corporate are the ones who collect the franchise fees from their licensees if they don't outright own them. So the "it's not really us" excuse is pretty pathetic. Especially when the booking was handled through the Hertz.com website. Sadly, that's probably not a "Hertz Exclusive" problem.

I ended up having to sign an open-ended credit card auth with Hertz (I believe) in Saipan a few years ago. I took out my DSLR and shot about fifty pictures of the vehicle from every conceivable angle and documented every tiny scratch I could find before I took possession of the vehicle. Fortunately it was parked on an outdoor lot. In many airport rental garages it's too dark to see or document minor damage.

14. newbluesea
    Original Member

newbluesea Gold Member

Status Points:
    And this not at all unique even in the US. You will find for example that the National franchise in Pheonix has some different rules/ regulations/requirements you are unlikely to run into in other places.

15. Pizzaman
    Original Member

Pizzaman Co-founder

Status Points:
    Agree it's a really weak excuse. I give them credit that they refunded me the extortion money both times.

16. Pizzaman
    Original Member

Pizzaman Co-founder

Status Points:
    Interesting. Like what?

17. marcwint55

marcwint55 Gold Member

Status Points:
    I had a problem in Spain with Hertz. There was a tiny spot on the bumper that looked like someone may have bumped into it with their bumper. They tried to charge me for repair and after arguing for twenty minutes, they miraculously were able to clean off the bumper. Luckily I had time before my flight to argue with them.

18. newbluesea
    Original Member

newbluesea Gold Member

Status Points:
    1) They would not accept some non-National issued discount coupons.
    2) No 59 min allowance (as used to be case) for late returns.

Both these events happened to me a few years ago... not sure if changed since then.

19. CellarDoor

CellarDoor Active Member

Status Points:
    If it makes you feel any better I just disputed 3 charges from RedSpot from our time in Australia. They showed up months after the rental and were suspect. My hunch were that they might have been photo radar tickets but I was very careful and never saw any camera's go off. I was not sure though and never received any correspondence with RedSpot so I contested them with Chase (opened the case online), had a follow up from Chase and let them do the heavy lifting with RedSpot. I don't know if RedSpot every responded to Chase or what their correspondence was but after 60 days they close the case and in this situation for me and the $178 total that was credited back to my account is now a permanent and closed transaction.

WilliamQ and traveltoomuch like this.
  20. WilliamQ

WilliamQ Gold Member

Status Points:
    Or it could be simple fraud?