Hertz in las vegas sucks

Discussion in 'Hertz | #1 Awards/#1 Club' started by jakem4800, Jun 10, 2014.  |  Print Topic

1. jakem4800

jakem4800 Silver Member

Status Points:
    I would not recommend hertz at the Las Vegas airport. The line was 30+ people long! They were checking people in and then waiting for returns from people that didn't show up on time! It took me 2 hours to get a car along with everyone else waiting. They had plenty of larger cars on their lot too when I walked up to retrieve myne. Horrible service whatever happened to a free upgrade if they can't provide a small car.

Travelsavant likes this.
  2. eponymous_coward
    Original Member

eponymous_coward Gold Member

Status Points:
    I don't mind hertz, but I have Gold (which means walk over to car, drive off unless there's a problem, there usually isn't).

3. dayone
    Original Member

dayone Silver Member

Status Points:
    When renting at a leisure location, one should always be a member of the company's express program. If you are, it's also worth paying a few bucks more to rent from the big boys.

traveltoomuch likes this.
  4. flynhwn

flynhwn Silver Member

Status Points:
    In Las Vegas try FOX rent-a-car. You take the shuttle to the auto center then a bus to Fox. The line, well it's still there but moves along. The rental is much cheaper since they are not on the airport property and do not have the airport tax. A very large savings! Also it is much easier to return the car as they are on Las Vegas Blvd.

5. ChrisUNC

ChrisUNC Silver Member

Status Points:
    You think Hertz at LAS is bad? Check out MKE sometime when you're looking for an excruciatingly painful experience. I rented from them last night. They had a shortage of vehicles, so they shutdown their Gold system - no carfimations, no seeing you name on the big board, no cars in the Gold Choice area - all Gold members had to go to the counter. Of course there was only one guy working, so it was an extremely long and slow line. By the time I finally got a car, it was a beat-to-hell, piece of $h!t Kia Soul. There wasn't a single exterior panel without a large scuff, scrap, ding, chip, etc. on it. The car was absolutely filthy inside and out - I had to wipe down the rear window just to be able to see out of it. On the highway, the car sounded like it was about to rattle apart. Yay for being a Five Star member - really appreciate all the extra love!

Travelsavant and traveltoomuch like this.
  6. rphilpotjr

rphilpotjr Member

Status Points:
    They suck in Jackson, MS too. Twice I have reserved cars only to find that they had nothing available when I showed up at the counter. I've had much better service from enterprise.

Travelsavant likes this.
  7. tommytcchan

tommytcchan New Member

Status Points:
    The lines were super long in Vegas, even for bookings done in advance.

Travelsavant likes this.
  8. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    Are you a member of their frequent renter program? The benefit of skipping the counter is worth the effort of signing up.

Travelsavant likes this.
  9. Travelsavant
    Original Member

Travelsavant Gold Member

Status Points:
    Hertz Las Vegas is pretty awful & is been the center of 2 class action suits, that I personally know of, for which Hertz had to pay out a whole lot of money. Unfortunately, they have a rep for not only their rotten customer service [even for Gold members] but also for their snarky pricing tactics. Haven't used Hertz in Vegas for several years as I now book with Avis or Alamo when there, but sounds like nothing much has changed with Vegas Hertz!

10. traveltoomuch

traveltoomuch Silver Member

Status Points:
    I've had issues with enough of the car companies that I now prefer to have reservations will at least two different companies.

Travelsavant likes this.
  11. traveltoomuch

Status Points:
    I'd love to hear more. References?

Travelsavant likes this.
  12. Travelsavant
    Original Member

Travelsavant Gold Member

Status Points:
    Here is reference to one of the suits in Nevada
    http://www.classactionsnews.com/settlements/hertz-nevada-illegal-fees-class-action-settlement

I've already received compensation from Hertz for Las Vegas rentals 2003-2009, but another case is ongoing for a different issue for same timeframe at same Nevada locations (Reno & LV).

Just this year I had problems with Hertz both in Paris, France & Verona, Italy. In Italy, rented car in Verona & returned in Florence, however the fees on the rental contract were crazy high & did not match my reservation. After an hour with the Verona agent, I finally just made exception notations on the rental contract & took the car as we needed it. Rather than calling Hertz, I emailed UK office & had reply that my reservation would be honored as originally booked & they would resolve in Florence, which they did, with the help of a great agent in the Florence office. Paris, it was a one day award rental & the insurance "I had to get" was over $200 a day; after arguing with the agent for 45 minutes, walked away & Hertz did refund my points.

Lesson I've learned the hard way with Hertz: GET IT &/OR PUT IT IN WRITING! Undocumented calls can take a long time to clear up - if ever.

PS: I am Hertz Five Star & status hasn't helped much in Vegas although it might have had some influence in getting corp headquarters to quickly resolve issue in Italy.

Last edited: Sep 2, 2014
  13. traveltoomuch

Status Points:
    Thank you for sharing! It looks like an interesting case: this decision (or settlement, I can't really tell which) came only after the court rejected a previous settlement and ruled that Hertz has violated the law, and the settlement clearly states that Hertz both plans to appeal the decision and plans to oppose the attorney fee request. Additionally, some objectors to the case, who led the first settlement being rejected, have also asked for attorney fees.