Hertz doesn't honor rental award in San Jose, Ca.

Discussion in 'Hertz | #1 Awards/#1 Club' started by marcwint55, Jun 17, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. marcwint55

marcwint55 Gold Member

Status Points:
    We rented a car from Hertz for one day in San Jose and used my wife's 500 point free weekend day. The system allowed me to book a Mercedes E350 and told me the total would be just over twelve dollars. I even printed up the reservation info. When checking the car back in, we were told that they could not honor this on the Mercedes. The only reason I took the Mercedes was because the system allowed me to. I will be contacting Hertz on Monday to dispute the $135.00 charge, and if I have no success with them I will be cancelling the charge with American Express. I'm extremely disappointed in their actions and I am wondering if anyone else has experienced a similar situation.

2. MalcoveMagnesia
    Original Member

MalcoveMagnesia Silver Member

Status Points:
    I just booked a 600 point "one day award" certificate on the website and while the certificate says "good through full size car", the website allowed me to apply the certificate's PC code to a "Premium" car (apparently somewhere between full size and Prestige). I'll probably go into the office just to make doubly sure this award certificate is going to work before I drive off the lot.

Bottom line is Hertz's web site sucks. They pushed people away from the paper award certificates way too soon.

marcwint55 likes this.
  3. view-with-a-room

view-with-a-room Active Member

Status Points:
    The website allows booking of all sorts of vehicles. Unfortunately the staff confirm (or not) the bookings only after the rental. The end result is very unpredictable. $20 or $80 or...

2soonold and marcwint55 like this.
  4. marcwint55

marcwint55 Gold Member

Status Points:
    my advice is to not confirm it with the office. My prior post talked about the same situation with a Mercedes. Although the office charged me upon return, Hertz finally credited back the charge and also gave us 1000 points for the inconvenience.

5. 2soonold
    Original Member

2soonold Gold Member

Status Points:
    ok, here is my 2 cents.
    first, I am happy that Hertz finally credited back the charge for marcwint55 and even gave him 1000 points. Hertz has not always treated me so well.
    I agree with view-with-a-room that websites too often allow bookings of all sorts of vehicles; while staff confirmations occur after the rental.
    Certificates and coupons will often state in small print what class of car they are good for. However, I have had the experience of confirming my booking before taking the car, only to be told when turning the car in that what I was told was incorrect and price for the rental would be higher. :mad:hassle!