Hertz Class Action - Las Vegas rentals

Discussion in 'Hertz | #1 Awards/#1 Club' started by bhatnasx, Feb 7, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. bhatnasx
    Original Member

bhatnasx Silver Member

Status Points:
    There's a class action lawsuit against Hertz.

Compensation is upto $20 in vouchers depending on how many times you've rented from Hertz in Vegas.

See attached for details.

Attached Files:

Travelsavant likes this.
  2. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    Yup, I received two emails (one for me, one for my wife). Nice to see someone's going after those junk fees. Concession recovery fee?! What's next, wage recovery fee?

By the way, it covers RNO rentals as well.

3. TrueBlueFlyer
    Original Member

TrueBlueFlyer Silver Member

Status Points:
    Ooh... I rented from Hertz LAS twice last year... however both times the rentals were for less than $20 a day.

Oh wait... its only valid from 2003 to 2009 rentals

4. Frequent Freak
    Original Member

Frequent Freak Silver Member

Status Points:
    Nice to know the Beastmaster is standing up for our rights.

If these certs are similar to free-day coupons, where they act as a PC#, they're useless to me, as Hertz regularly offers PCs that give discounts greater than $20. I guess they may be effective on weekday rentals.

I think I've gotten compensation vouchers that can be applied towards the net cost of a rental and don't count as CPs, though. That is, the voucher can be used on top of a PC as partial payment. This would be more useful.

Now for someone to go after those energy surcharges, which make pricing less transparent and never changed while gas went from $4 down to $1.50 and back to $3.

viguera and empedocles like this.
  5. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

Status Points:
    From the email:

(bolding mine)

Sounds good, doesn't it?

6. Frequent Freak
    Original Member

Frequent Freak Silver Member

Status Points:
    Maybe I should actually read the whole E-mail next time. [​IMG]

I've gotten certs like that once or twice before, but I forget what the circumstances were. Usually when I have a problem with a rental I can get Hertz to take a certain amount off the troublesome rental itself, on top of whatever other discounts I'm using.

7. leeivan86
    Original Member

leeivan86 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Usually with these vouchers, you submit it at the end of your rental and they are obliged to take off the amount shown on it on top of the PC coupons you have.

8. TexasT
    Original Member

TexasT Silver Member

Status Points:
    Thanks for the details on the settlement - I too should have read the email all the way through when I received it! I hadn't realized the voucher would be applied at the end versus as part of the quote process as with other coupons from Hertz. I appreciate the info.

9. Quiet Lion
    Original Member

Quiet Lion Silver Member

Status Points:
    I thought I was really cashing in with over 100 rentals at LAS during that time period. But I get $20. Yay.

QL

Exiled in Express likes this.
  10. giggs
    Original Member

giggs Silver Member

Status Points:
    Sad part is that you can't take the $20.00 and parlay it into more.

11. rustyr
    Original Member

rustyr Active Member

Status Points:
    You get $20, along with according to court documents, up to 100,000 others if they all rented more than once-which amounts to $2million; and if they check their emails-w/out deleting forgettting or not go thru whatever requirements online/rental counter to use it, or if they even can be contacted via an email. I see in the documents an amount of $1,440,000 will be paid to the lawyers for all the work they have done on this case.

12. jackal
    Original Member

jackal Gold Member

Status Points:
    Wait, what? What is this lawsuit about? Someone sued all of the companies at LAS for charging what every airport rental car office at every airport in the entire U.S. (if not overseas) does? The suit claims that the companies "unlawfully charged...an additional charge labeled 'concession recovery fee.'" What's illegal about that fee? It's clearly disclosed (moreso than airline fuel surcharges!) and fully a universal practice.

Just surprised at this (it's the first I've heard of it, too)...

Grace likes this.
  13. Travelsavant
    Original Member

Travelsavant Gold Member

Status Points:
    $20 is a nice gift but with Hertz, most likely won't even = a free day but better than nothing.

jackal likes this.
  14. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Maybe read the complaint and let us know what you find. :) I admit I haven't, but quite frankly I am sick and tired of companies advertising one price and then adding a ton of mandatory fees that should simply be built into the price as part of the cost of doing business. Oh, and I am also sick and tired of having to pay a daily fee/tax for the during of my rental to recover some sort of facility/transportation cost when the actual underlying cost is independent of the length of my rental. But that might be an entirely different class action suit :)

15. jackal
    Original Member

jackal Gold Member

Status Points:
    The release filed above and the discussion of the suit on topclassactions.com don't go into any more detail. I've read them both.

The argument that the company is advertising one price and charging another is specious at best: every major booking channel allows you to see the final price with taxes and fees.

And FWIW, here in ANC, a $6.50-per-day Customer Facility Charge is mandated by the State of Alaska to pay down the bond debt on the consolidated rental facility. The rental agencies have no choice whether to apply the fee. That may not be the case everywhere, but be sure to check state statutes before you get too sue-happy...

16. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

Status Points:
    I googled around a bit and the LV Review Journal had an article about this lawsuit that explained that the Nevada legislature passed a law in 2009 that made it legal to bill separately for the fee. I assume the claim here is that until then the fee had to be incorporated into the rate. But I am not a lawyer, so just guessing. In any case, that explains why the period covered by the settlement ends in 2009.

Oh, I know it's usually the state or local government that forces the daily surcharges.

17. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

Status Points:
    What do I find in the mailbox today? A notification about the same settlement for Alamo rentals. Another $20, I guess. Since there's no Alamo forum, I'll add this to this thread.

18. jackal
    Original Member

jackal Gold Member

Status Points:
    topclassactions.com mentions several other agencies that are party to the suit. Alamo is one; Enterprise and Advantage are the others. Missing are Avis, Budget, Dollar, and Thrifty.

It appears the lawsuit targeted Enterprise Holdings Incorporated and The Hertz Corporation but not Avis Budget Group and Dollar Thrifty Automotive Group.

(Coincidentally, the stock photo in the article linked above is of the ANC rental center... :p)

19. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Yes, yesterday's letter actually didn't come as a complete surprise to me. When you register your claim on the settlement website, you first have to pick among those car rental brands.

20. chemist562
    Original Member

chemist562 In Memorian

Status Points:
    I notice the customers get "crumbs" on the class action cases while the law firms get the big bounty.

21. Mrp Alert

Mrp Alert Silver Member

Status Points:
    I have received the paper letter from Alamo and Enterprise so far, but nothing from Hertz yet.

22. tommy777
    Original Member

tommy777 Co-founder

Status Points:
    where the heck have you been? :p

23. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

Status Points:
  24. so what happens now?