Hertz 5* Benefits

Discussion in 'Hertz | #1 Awards/#1 Club' started by piqaro, Feb 12, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. Although I appreciate the primary benefit of free upgrade, has anyone gotten anything else ?

This is the third or fourth year I qualified for 5* (10 or more rentals) and have never gotten any email freebie or discount that I know of.

Is there some benefits that are better elsewhere, but still descent cars and global presence ?

I have pretty much ended up renting a lot from Hertz based on price and quality in the markets I rent.
    I was once very active with Budget and National, but I decided all the frequent renter programs are more or less poor on bing.

Bob Smolinsky likes this.
  2. tomh009
    Original Member

tomh009 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Nothing for me. And I'm not sure I'm getting a consistent upgrade, either (sometimes hard to tell which class cars are in at the local Hertz).

piqaro likes this.
  3. bk3day
    Original Member

bk3day Gold Member

Status Points:
    In my past couple years as a 5*, I don't recall ever be offered/getting an upgrade.

Then again, I'm not sure I'd take the upgrade, even if one was offered.

Usually, I book a convertible or midsize, cause that's what I want (and w/respect to the midsize.. iirc, the price differential to the next lower car class is negligible)

With the exception of the bonus points and perhaps "targeted to 5*s" promotional emails and discount PC codes, I too can't think of any other benefits.

fwiw, I get more benefits such as coupons & free rental days (not many mind you) from Hertz's Manhattan renters & BAP programs.

piqaro likes this.
  4. Bob Smolinsky
    Original Member

Bob Smolinsky Gold Member

Status Points:
    For me, unless you are Platinum, the YMMV rules applies to all Hertz Locations and your status, irregardless of 5* or PC. Only way to circumvent this or make it more to your liking, is renting a lot from the same location so they get to know you over time.

piqaro likes this.
  5. adexpert
    Original Member

adexpert Silver Member

Status Points:
    I got the occasional upgrade as a 5* last year. Sometimes I take them, sometimes I walk back to the gold desk and give it back. To be honest, though, I don't really know what Hertz classifies different cars as, so, the only time I "know" I've gotten an upgrade is when the car in the stall with my name on it is substantially larger than my usual Camry.

piqaro likes this.
  6. tomh009
    Original Member

tomh009 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Right -- the first time I got a Yaris as a midsize rental I actually walked back and checked that this was actually classed as a "midsize!"

FWFDAN likes this.
  7. I have always gotten an upgrade with Hertz. But its almost always at a big airport with lots of cars.
    I think their points program is pretty bad, but I use it anyway to not pay an airmile fee.
    I prefer a hybrid, but I have gotten Mustangs and often times something I didn't want like a club van :p
    So I will trade down, esp if I expect to be doing lots of parallel parking.
    Never got any discount or promotion codes.

Bob Smolinsky likes this.
  8. UADomer08
    Original Member

UADomer08 Silver Member

Status Points:
    My experience has been that updrages depend heavily on the airport you are renting from. I used to get upgraded all the time at LGA or EWR because they were always running short of regular full sized cars. It was regular for me to rent a Camry or Impala and leave with an Infiniti or Jeep. However, renting from DSM has resulted in a single upgrade over a 4 month period. I can only assume this is due to the large number of full-sized cars on the lot and the very clear lack of higher end cars. Very understandable from the business's point of view and no real skin off my back.

Other than the upgrades though, the benefits are unnoticeable. I believe you get a 10% earning bonus if you collect Hertz Points (which I do off and on depending on partner deals) but these bonuses are pretty insignificant and require a lot of record keeping to track (I think they are added at the end of the month instead of per rental).

The biggest benefit I've found is that my car is typically 1-2 spots closer to the bus drop-off than regular Gold slots so my walk is shorter! Ultimately I've found that consistent rentals from the same location is worth more than 5* status as far as service and upgrades.

piqaro likes this.
  9. LAXNRT
    Original Member

LAXNRT Silver Member

Status Points:
    Never gotten an upgrade as a PC at ORD but many times at LAX, sometimes significant upgrades. Gotten a "nice" camaro at SFO a couple months back when I booked a mid size. My son loved it.

10. chemist562
    Original Member

chemist562 In Memorian

Status Points:
    Only occasional upgrades. Don't know if it is due to 5* or just not having the booked class not available. More often, I get a more loaded version of what I'd booked.

I shop on price but will pay a little more to get Hertz vs. 3rd/4th tier agencies. I can usually get Hertz to price decently with coupons, etc. If not, then whoever 1st tier has the best deal.

piqaro likes this.
  11. WaterSki
    Original Member

WaterSki Silver Member

Status Points:
    Don't think I've ever gotten an upgrade as a 5*. When I first became 5*, I naively started renting compact instead of mid-size, thinking I'd get an upgrade to the midsize I wanted. Now I've learned my lesson and just book midsize.

piqaro likes this.
  12. mht_flyer
    Original Member

mht_flyer Gold Member

Status Points:
    To get a upgrade in EWR and sometimes PHL I almost always have to ask. Generally they will attempt to provide one, but only after I ask. Rented last Sunday full size and gave me altima, but took it this time instead of asking for a upgrade , only 13 miles on the car :)

piqaro likes this.
  13. Christian Martinez
    Original Member

Christian Martinez Gold Member

Status Points:
    I've gotten decent upgrades as a 5*. The best I've gotten was a F upgraded to a Lincoln Navigator. Problem is that I DETEST IT!!!
    My shiny status on the other hand has been QUITE delicious :D

piqaro likes this.
  14. tommy777
    Original Member

tommy777 Co-founder

Status Points:
    It all depends what you book. In my experience, if you book a compact/sub compact, you will be upgrades as both 5* and PC, but if you book a full size, you are SOL, some locations will give you what you're entitled to, a Premium (meaning a Grand Marquis) as a PC.

My last weekend is a good example: Was getting in after midnight to Norfolk Airport and only needed the car briefly, so I got a sub compact. I got an Impala. The next day, I had booked a full size in Raleigh (RDU) and was given an Altima.

I told her I wanted what I was entitled to, a Premium, she showed me the screen saying I was only entitled an upgrade to F. I was driving pretty far and I asked for a manager. He came, apologize and gave me what I was supposed to get, a Premium, ended up being a Maxima.

9 out of 10 times, I book a fullsize, so this is a problem

Have to tell you, the PC status is the status I could not care less about loosing. It's absolutely worthless.

karung99 and piqaro like this.
  15. mht_flyer
    Original Member

mht_flyer Gold Member

Status Points:
    Same here, I generally book full size and get full size unless I specifically ask. Some Hertz's used to be generous and give nice upgrades free (gotten a Caddie a few times on a full size, and SUVs as well).

If I rent a mid-size and don't get a full, I usually ask and get it.

What I really love is that a mid-size such as a Corolla or Senta used to be considered a compact. Frankly, I think a Altima is a mid-size.

Oh well....

piqaro likes this.
  16. FWFDAN
    Original Member

FWFDAN Silver Member

Status Points:
    I generally get upgraded (once from a compact to a premium) at IAD on the weekends, but that is starting to fade....

piqaro likes this.
  17. Tor Viking
    Original Member

Tor Viking Silver Member

Status Points:
    As a Presidents Circle member, it's mandatory to give you an upgrade. You should have this brought up with the manager at ORD. In Norway, or at least in my city, we always take care of our PC members and respect the mandatory highlight! But then again...we treat all our customers with respect.

tommy777 and LAXNRT like this.
  18. LAXNRT
    Original Member

LAXNRT Silver Member

Status Points:
    Always book a fullsize and have often been told at ORD that the Toyota Camry I got was an upgrade. Given, I rather drive a Camry than an Impala but it is the inconsistency from station to station that gets me. My Plat status on Sixt in Europe always gets me great upgrades. Maybe I should give Hertz in Europe a try...

19. Tor Viking
    Original Member

Tor Viking Silver Member

Status Points:
    Usually at my station and the downtown office, we give the PC members that we know from before, the nicest car we have on the lot available. It doesn't cost us much more to give these out instead of a one-group upgrade. We know it makes the customer happy and it brings them back. When it comes to the ORD stations, maybe they're careful in "spoiling" the PC's??
    You should give it a go with Hertz in Europe! Though, I can't promise you anything..... ;)
    Though if you come to Stavanger, believe when I say : Here's your upgrade! :)

LAXNRT likes this.
  20. MalcoveMagnesia
    Original Member

MalcoveMagnesia Silver Member

Status Points:
    That's been my experience too. The more familiar you are at a station (that is, familiar in a good way, and this holds true especially at HLE's), the more generous the staff tends to be. I usually book full size and have ended up getting Jaguars a couple times I've seen them in the lot at my favorite San Francisco HLE.

21. I'd agree with all that :)

WaterSki likes this.
  22. MyMiles&Points
    Original Member

MyMiles&Points Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    It's mandatory, but they tried to downgrade me as a PC in England a few months ago. :rolleyes:

LAXNRT likes this.
  23. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    My memorable upgrades have been

- convertible in Vegas in the middle of July when it was 110 degrees outside and thus too hot to keep the top off
    - a giant SUV in Denver in the summer for city driving

But in general I seem to get the economy or compact level that I book.

Exiled in Express likes this.
  24. kw335
    Original Member

kw335 Silver Member

Status Points:
    I have recently switched from National to Hertz, due to my corporate contract. Having used to the Emerald Club Aisle's choose-your-own-car system, I found Hertz's policies on upgrades and Gold benefits to be somewhat confusing.

I was at DEN not too long ago, and upon arrival at the lot, I saw my name on the board, but instead of a stall number, mine was listed as "***". Went into the office, and was then assigned a car.

A week later, I was at SEA where I didn't see my name listed on the board at all. When I went to the counter, I was informed that I was not eligible for gold benefits :eek: When asked whether my number is listed on the reservation, the guy said yes and was able to view my gold (five star) status. Just not eligible for the bennies. I was then assigned a Pontiac G6 -- which was a crap car, but given it was 2am and I still had to drive to Olympia that night, I didn't bother asking. What's the dealio with the gold benefits though?

Also, if you weren't satisfied with the car assignment, could you ask for another car (within the same class)?

25. Bob Smolinsky
    Original Member

Bob Smolinsky Gold Member

Status Points:
    Utter nonsense....if you are Gold, then you are Gold.....and should get the benefits....unless the location itself does not provide Gold Services.