Hertz 24/7 Closing in North America

Discussion in 'Hertz | #1 Awards/#1 Club' started by flyforawg, Aug 20, 2015.  |  Print Topic

1. flyforawg

flyforawg Silver Member

Status Points:
    For those who use this, you may know. I had used in the past, but after a move, there were no convenient cars near my location to make it worthwhile. Went to update a new driver's license number and had a message to call. Service agent said I could do myself online and explained to him it gave me a message with a number to call and the data was uneditable. He then explained that the north american unit was closing down.

Not much of a surprise, since they never seemed to hit critical mass with the vehicles.

Newscience likes this.
  2. viguera
    Original Member

viguera Gold Member

Status Points:
    I think Zipcar and others were already too entrenched, and Hertz never really make the push they needed to get people to pay attention, perhaps because of the limited locations / cars.

Newscience and flyforawg like this.
  3. dayone
    Original Member

dayone Silver Member

Status Points:
    flyforawg likes this.
  4. flyforawg

flyforawg Silver Member

Status Points:
    Not sure how they thought two metro markets was going to do much of anything. In SF, hardly any presence at all. Great if you live within a half mile of that spot, but leaves a whole lot of uncovered territory. Really poor execution.

5. viguera
    Original Member

viguera Gold Member

Status Points:
    They had better presence in NYC but it was still problematic. They actually had a few cars available at some parking garages, but most of the people that I talked to either didn't even know that this existed or they would prefer to use a Zipcar because they were "easier" (both cheaper and more accessible).

It's a really difficult enterprise though, because cars that are not being used are cars that are not making money, and in cities with a solid public transportation system (and terrible traffic problems like NY or SF), it was going to be very, very difficult to make any sort of headway, unless people REALLY needed a car for a couple of hours.

flyforawg likes this.
  6. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    I had completely forgotten that they even existed, and the OP left me confused ;)

I suspect, judging by the numbers of vehicles with zip car sticker on 101, people in SF often use zip cars for quick runs down the peninsula (or other places outside the city).

flyforawg likes this.
  7. nat22

nat22 Active Member

Status Points:
    With the ridiculous rates they charged for 24/7 service it was usualy worth it to rent for the day...

flyforawg likes this.
  8. Mrp Alert

Mrp Alert Silver Member

Status Points:
    I got the message that I needed to update my DL for 24/7 last month. I ignored it as their customer service and experience were awful the one time I tried to use them.

Sent from my iPhone 6 using Tapatalk