Hero flights landing at BWI

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by sophiegirl, May 4, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. sophiegirl
    Original Member

sophiegirl Silver Member

Status Points:
    Just leaving BWI, and on the walk down the concourse had the honor of seeing a group of WW2 vets coming off a plane headed for DC to tour their monument.

Although I have heard of this, I had never had the privilege of seeing this group (Hero Flights) actually at work. They had arranged active service people there to serve as greeters, as well as TSA agents, and a local "crew" of volunteers. For the service people who came without families, volunteers were there to serve as assistants..quite needed as many of the men were no longer able for a long concourse walk, needed help with luggage, etc.

The gate was decorated in bunting and hanging stars, and all the local greeters were wearing special t-shirts that said "not everyone has the honor of serving, some of us watch them walk by and applaud". For those of us who just chose to stop and participate, they had small American flags that we could wave.

Yes, I cried...especially when the last veteran came off after a long delay...no legs, and no family.

PLEASE, take a moment today to say a silent thank you for those who serve, active and retired.

Rlpro likes this.
  2. mhnadel
    Original Member

mhnadel Silver Member

Status Points:
    I was at DCA when a Hero Flight landed there. It was very moving. I had been aware of them because a friend plays in one of the bands that greets them, but this was the only time I'd actually been present and I was favorably impressed with the program.

3. mht_flyer
    Original Member

mht_flyer Gold Member

Status Points:
    Was in DCA Wednesday evening and saw a Hero Flight heading back to CVG. Was US Airways charter A320 (normally no big jets to CVG on US). There was a band, and dancing. It was really nice -- a really wonderful program they have to be able to do that for our Vets.