Here's What An Intense Crosswind Can Do To A Boeing 777 Trying To Land

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Travel' started by sobore, Dec 5, 2013.  |  Print Topic

1. sobore
    Original Member

sobore Gold Member

Status Points:
    http://www.businessinsider.com/emirates-777-tries-to-land-in-crosswind-2013-12

The crew of an Emirates Boeing 777 had to divert to London's Gatwick airport after they tried twice to land in a heavy crosswind at the flight's destination, Birmingham.
    The Aircraft Owners and Pilots Association calls the crosswind landing "one of the trickiest skills to learn in flying."

A video of the 777-300ER's first attempted landing, posted to YouTube, shows how severely the plane was turned. You can see how off it is from the center of the runway — the correct procedure is to touch one set of tires down before the other, in a "slightly skewed alignment," airline pilot Patrick Smith writes in his book "Cockpit Confidential."

Read More: http://www.businessinsider.com/emirates-777-tries-to-land-in-crosswind-2013-12

Newscience and MSYgirl like this.
  2. MSYgirl

MSYgirl Gold Member

Status Points:
    Scary indeed; yikes!

3. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
  4. MSYgirl

MSYgirl Gold Member

Status Points:
    Whoa.

5. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    Here's one of my favorite little clips:

Not just for the sideways landings. Sadly I never flew into the old Hong Kong airport.

Flyer1976 and MSYgirl like this.
  6. timfrost

timfrost Silver Member

Status Points:
    I don't know why I've never bothered to look for videos of planes at Kai Tak. I've certainly seen plenty of photos. That looks like a truly hair-raising approach for both crews and passengers... but it also looks like FUN! :)

7. estnet
    Original Member

estnet Gold Member

Status Points:
    Not much fun for me.... REALLY scary looking into peoples apartments which seemed only a few feet away from the wings!!!!