Here we go! 45,154 to EXP...

Discussion in 'American Airlines | AAdvantage' started by rwoman, May 7, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. rwoman
    Original Member

rwoman Gold Member

Status Points:
    Hi All,

Good morning from Kabul. When I return to the UK late next month, my pursuit to 100k for the year begins...45,154 to go, which I'm thinking will not be a problem between July and the end of the year...there'll be a mix of DL flying in there, as I have 21k to DM for the year. ;)

The EXP run will begin with LHR-JFK in July for one reason...I want to go to NYC after months in Kabul!

:)robin

2. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

DestinationDavid Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    I need 30K between now and December, which normally wouldn't be an issue but I just redeemed a 220K J OW award and ate up all my vacation time. :eek:

3. JNB280

JNB280 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Rivers of crocodile tears for you over here.

4. Aktchi
    Original Member

Aktchi Silver Member

Status Points:
    ORD-LAX rt DEQM still going on till 6/30? While I enjoy international travel, domestic MRs can be done the same day.

5. Aktchi
    Original Member

Aktchi Silver Member

Status Points:
    Of course, you mean LHR-LAX-MIA-SEA-DFW-JFK. :)

6. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Yeah, life's tough, isn't it? :)

I'm an odd bird, I don't really MR. :eek: I tend to not make a trip unless I can see or do something I find worthwhile.

7. rwoman
    Original Member

rwoman Gold Member

Status Points:
    Certainly sounds like something I would do... the initial trip is just because I want to go enjoy NYC in the summer...and have every intent to get flying once this Kabul business is over!

8. Aktchi
    Original Member

Aktchi Silver Member

Status Points:

OK find some place you want to go, and arrange the connection to be in LAX. Right now LAX-NRT is a very good deal (needs to be booked by 5/15).

TheBeerHunter and rwoman like this.
  9. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

Status Points:
    PVG and PEK, too. Actually, routing ORD-LHR-ORD-LAX-PVG-LAX-ORD is only about $1600. Not amazing but not too bad either.

rwoman likes this.
  10. rwoman
    Original Member

rwoman Gold Member

Status Points:
    Just booked LHR-STR-LHR...for work...so, 44,154... :)

TheBeerHunter likes this.
  11. Skye1
    Original Member

Skye1 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Would re-qualifying for EXP fit in the "do something I find worthwhile" category?

12. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Come November if I'm still short, yes. Till then I'll look for fun destinations to visit. I've been eyeing Lisbon. :)

perryplatypus and rwoman like this.
  13. rwoman
    Original Member

rwoman Gold Member

Status Points:
    Those I know who've been there LOVED it! :)

14. Skye1
    Original Member

Skye1 Silver Member

Status Points:

It's always amazing when an MR can give you some time in a place you'd want to be anyways. Even if all you're doing is a turnaround with an overnight, might as well be somewhere cool to stay. Or, even if you're doing a turnaround of a few hours, might as well be an airport (or airport area) that's a halfway decent place to kill time. Ah, but sometimes the "destination" not as a geographical place, but the "status" you're going for, and all that goes with it.

Tenmoc, wrxmom and rwoman like this.
  15. JosephMay

JosephMay Gold Member

Status Points:
    That makes one of us... Hated Lisbon.... was there a few years ago. That destination is one and done. Crappy food, Crappy Sights and petty crime... nice combo.

perryplatypus likes this.
  16. John777

John777 Silver Member

Status Points:
    I'm surprised to hear this... I really enjoyed everything about Lisbon on a trip last summer.

tommy777 likes this.
  17. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

Status Points:
    I have to agree with John777 and rwoman, I haven't met anyone who's been to Lisbon and disliked it. There's always a first!

18. JosephMay

JosephMay Gold Member

Status Points:
    I guess that would be me.....I probably got carried away with my previous post - I really didn't hate Lisbon just didn't like it enough to want to go back. I liked Obidos in Portugal and I'm told the North of Portugal is very nice and would consider going there.
    I had spent 3 weeks driving through Spain and Portugal with my wife. We spent a few days in the Algarve and then travelled on to Lisbon. I didn't love the Algarve (way over developed in places with no apparent regard to the placement of buildings) and by the time we arrived in Lisbon I'd admit I was pretty tired of Portugal. I truly hate Cilantro which seemly they put in every dish-it tastes like soap to me - and the novelty of sardines was one I quickly got over. There are sights to be seen in Portugal and Lisbon but nothing was really so unique or so compelling that I felt I needed to return. For the cost and effort necessary to go to Lisbon there are many other places in the world that I'd rather spend my time in. One man's opinion.

19. Mike Reed

Mike Reed Gold Member

Status Points:
    I'll be at 80K EQM on AA by the end of May with only one MR (a very, very cheap AUS-DFW-SFO run from the deal a few months back). Everything else is "real" travel, including a paid Economy+SWU trip to Paris and back. I'm at 74 segments, though, and with my domestic travel pattern I'll likely actually hit EXP on segments at 100 segments. That'll likely happen sometime around the end of June (100 segments), as June looks like a VERY, VERY busy month for me.

I've also got 6400 EQM on 10 segments on Delta which credit to Alaska. After hitting EXP I can think about crediting AA segments to AS, too (not just DL), but since my average segment is less than 1000 miles I'll have to consider qualifying on segments. I'm averaging 16 segments/month at this point and need 50 more for MVPG and 80 more for 75K. That means if I committed everything to AS for the second half of the year I'd likely make 75K by the end of November, which would be very nice for my travel with Delta.

190 segments. Wow. I didn't realize I was flying that much this year until I just typed that out, but it makes sense. That's 4 a week for 48 weeks, which is about right since every round trip is 4 segments for me and I'm on the road about that much. Geez. :) Of course that also means I've earned a minimum of 190,000 RDM (before promos and segments > 500 miles) this year. :D

20. rwoman
    Original Member

rwoman Gold Member

Status Points:
    LHR-JFK-LHR booked...37,250 to go... :D

JosephMay likes this.
  21. beaktor

beaktor Silver Member

Status Points:
    I've got 48 to go! Will be a first time EXP. :)

99,952 miles(48 until Executive Platinum)

Miles Towards Elite Upgrades​
    9,880​

Decisions decisions..... Have a trip to China Monday, SWU from a friend hasn't cleared yet

Wondering if I should see if I can get EXP early a for higher upgrade priority... or fly my last segment as a Platinum to get my last batch of 4 500 miler's for future use....

I have EF on alert to continue monitoring C inventory, so I can make the call as needed.

22. Mike Reed

Mike Reed Gold Member

Status Points:
    Actually I think the next segment you fly will credit as EXP and you won't get the 500-milers. Not that you wouldn't if you called... but I don't think it will be automatic.

beaktor likes this.
  23. Photonerd71

Photonerd71 Silver Member

Status Points:
    84 segments and about 90k eqms (total) and its only the end of may (give or take)......Yikes. I'm guessing you don't see home much. :)

24. beaktor

beaktor Silver Member

Status Points:
    I just gave customer service a courtesy ring and they can't make exceptions to bump to EXP, even at 48 miles away. They did suggest though, I call in in the layover and they update the status immediately. I'll probably drop by the AC to do this instead.

Happened to find out that coach is oversold ... so it'll be interesting times. :)

folex386 and perryplatypus like this.
  25. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

Status Points:
    I still have yet to receive a bump on AA. I'd love a voucher or two, but it just doesn't seem in the cards for me. Congratulations on EXP. :)

folex386, perryplatypus and beaktor like this.
  26. beaktor

beaktor Silver Member

Status Points:
    Thanks! Last bump was a year ago, but this time I'm more looking for an upgrade than a bump. I'll report back...

folex386 likes this.