Here Comes The Trusted Traveler Program Details

Discussion in 'Travel Security' started by Captain Oveur, Jul 14, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. Captain Oveur
    Original Member

Captain Oveur Gold Member

Status Points:
    Not surprisingly, since the TSA has taken another PR beating over the past several days, they announce some tidbits on the trusted traveler program.

Highlights:
    - Voluntary
    - Begins in the fall
    - U.S. Citizens only
    - Limited number of people out of the gate
    - American Airlines (out of Dallas and Miami only)
    - Delta Airlines (out of Atlanta and Detroit only)
    - "All" (per article) members of Global Entry, NEXUS and SENTRI.

It's a start at least.

2. TAHKUCT
    Original Member

TAHKUCT Gold Member

Status Points:
  3. mlarso85
    Original Member

mlarso85 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Did I miss something? I don't remember any negative TSA press as of late (other than the stungun at Logan incident). There probably was though :)

4. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    Maybe the OP meant breast squeezing instead of PR beating?

On topic, though, even though I am not going to benefit from the pilot for now due to the selection of airports, I am happily surprised that they piggy-back on existing screening programs.

5. bonnerbl
    Original Member

bonnerbl Gold Member

Status Points:
    Am glad it includes Global Entry members. Nice that one arm of government "trusts" another's screening process. ;)
    And that keeps our personal info out of the TSA's immediate clutches.

lili likes this.
  6. Travel2Food
    Original Member

Travel2Food Silver Member

Status Points:
    And more details. Seems that in the trial period DL passengers at MIA and DFW will not be permitted to be part of the system. Likewise AA at the DL hubs. From what I can tell in reading the TSA site ( http://www.tsa.gov/what_we_do/expedited_screening.shtm ), this has all the markings of another fustercluck by the agency. Lip service and propaganda to tamp down their critics.

So, what is the "Global Entry Participant ID"?

7. PhlyingRPh
    Original Member

PhlyingRPh Silver Member

Status Points:
    Outrageous that the programme discriminates against non-US citizens via a blanket exclusion on their participation. Thumbs down x 3.

Edited to add: Having said that, where does one sign up?

8. gobluetwo
    Original Member

gobluetwo Silver Member

Status Points:
    Any new details on who will actually be included in the trial? Articles and press release mention select frequent flyers, but is that top tier, all elites with GE/Sentri/Nexus, or something else?

9. mevlannen
    Original Member

mevlannen Silver Member

Status Points:
    Hmm.

I'm trying to square "US Citizens only" with "all members of NEXUS". I'm rather unlikely to ever become the former (wot? give up national health? nope!) and loath to surrender my membership in the latter. I wonder how this will really shake out, once implemented.

10. lili
    Original Member

lili Gold Member

Status Points:
    Looking at the Global Entry link for getting my Global Entry Card https://goes-app.cbp.dhs.gov/ I'm thinking TSA's clutches may be closer than you think :)

11. Lufthansa Flyer
    Original Member

Lufthansa Flyer Gold Member

Status Points:
    Got this email today...moving ever so closer

We are pleased to announce that U.S. Customs and Border Protection (CBP) is partnering with the Transportation Security Administration (TSA) on a new Department of Homeland Security initiative announced July 14, 2011, that qualifies some passengers for expedited screening through U.S. airport security checkpoints.

This pilot program will be available to U.S. citizens who are members of CBP’s Global Entry, NEXUS, and SENTRI Trusted Traveler programs. The pilot program will provide expedited screening through TSA checkpoints via dedicated screening lanes.

Additional information will be sent out prior to the pilot’s implementation, explaining more about the program and the necessary steps you will need to take in order to participate.

For more information and the latest updates, please visit www.tsa.gov or contact TSA at (866)289-9673.

Additionally, CBP would like to announce the availability of Global Entry kiosks at select Canadian preclearance locations. Global Entry kiosks are now available at CBP preclearance at the Vancouver International Airport and at Ottawa’s MacDonald-Cartier Airport. Global Entry kiosks will be placed at Montreal’s Trudeau International Airport and at Toronto’s Lester B. Pearson International Airport by September 2011. The placement of Global Entry kiosks at Canadian preclearance locations is the next step in the integration of the Global Entry and NEXUS Trusted Traveler programs.

The integration of the Global Entry and NEXUS programs began in December 2010, when CBP published a Federal Register Notice announcing that NEXUS members could participate in Global Entry. With the deployment of Global Entry kiosks to Canadian preclearance, Global Entry members will be able to take advantage of the program when returning home from Canada. NEXUS members will have the option of using either the Global Entry or NEXUS kiosks in preclearance. Further announcements will be made as necessary.

This is an automated email. Please do not reply.

TAHKUCT likes this.
  12. PhlyingRPh
    Original Member

PhlyingRPh Silver Member

Status Points:
    I received the same email overnight. Looks mildly promising, although I am concerned that the reference to "dedicated lanes" may mean the further elimination of Elite/Premium Passenger lanes at some airports.

13. Captain Oveur
    Original Member

Captain Oveur Gold Member

Status Points:
    I don't.

The airports designate those lanes, the TSA doesn't technically get its tentacles on us until the ID check podium. Gut feel says the elite lanes will just add the Trusted Traveler Program to the list of passengers (I have to believe that most, but not all, people who have NEXUS, GE or SENTRI already have elite status).

14. TAHKUCT
    Original Member

TAHKUCT Gold Member

Status Points:
    Also received the same letter as 744
    Any updates on additional airports that will participate?

15. lili
    Original Member

lili Gold Member

Status Points:
    Well, I got the opt-in email this morning and did so.. When it goes into operation in the fall it will be only available at DFW and MIA. Of the hundreds of times I've flown in and out of DFW only once did I go through security (due to bad weather stranding me overnight at the Sheraton.) But I'm hoping it will expand quickly to other airports.

From the email:

Some important things to note about participating in the screening pilot program:
    • You must be a United States citizen
    • There is no charge
    • Your eligibility and participation will not necessarily ensure an expedited screening for every flight
    • When you opt-in, you give American Airlines permission to share your AAdvantage status and passenger reservation information with the TSA's Secure Flight system
    • At time of opt-in, although not required, you will also have the option to share information about your enrollment in U.S. Customs and Border Protection Trusted Traveler Programs such as Global Entry, NEXUS and SENTRI
    More details about the expedited screening pilot is available on the TSA's website. Please note that if you wish to participate, you must opt-in no later than September 23, 2011, 12:00 midnight, CT. Ready to register now? Just click below.

TAHKUCT likes this.
  16. TAHKUCT
    Original Member

TAHKUCT Gold Member

Status Points:
    My email was just general without an opt-in link :(

17. lili
    Original Member

lili Gold Member

Status Points:
    I got the general letter a few weeks ago. The opt-in link went directly to the TSA site where they asked for my CBP ID number and thankfully provided a link to look it up on the Global Entry website.

Next run through DFW is Sept 13, but doubt the program will be in effect by then. If it is I might just exit the secure area and see how it works. Or I might just have another drink in the club :)

TAHKUCT likes this.
  18. TAHKUCT
    Original Member

TAHKUCT Gold Member

Status Points:
    A drink in the club sound much better :)

19. Lufthansa Flyer
    Original Member

Lufthansa Flyer Gold Member

Status Points:
    Here's some commentary on trusted traveler. I love how this article implies that it will discriminate against those who can't afford the $100 or $150 fee. It went as far as saying only wealthy vacationers could afford this service due the fee. I'm thinking if a $100 or $150 makes or breaks one's financial situation, perhaps a vacation is not the best use of dollars. Granted a family of 4 would be stung for $600, but it is what it is. There will always be the free lines.

http://www.airportbusiness.com/publication/article.jsp?siteSection=1&id=47123&pageNum=1

20. PhlyingRPh
    Original Member

PhlyingRPh Silver Member

Status Points:
    Good point. In regards to international travel, $600 is pretty much the cost of procuring visas for a family of four traveling to countries that impose tit for tat fees on US citizens.

21. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    Ultimately, whether $100 or $150 is worth it for someone heavily depends on how often you're going to use it. For a wealthy vacationer the money might be irrelevant even if they travel only once a year, but even if you're not rich and you someone end up traveling once a month it likely is worth it in terms of time savings. But if you are not rich and you DON'T travel frequently (the most likely scenario) the time savings aren't that great anyway.

That said... I am not a big fan of prioritizing government services (eg TSA massages) based on how much money people are willing to pay. I always consider it a big waste of productive time when I stand in line at the airport security checkpoint (or DMV or ...) and it should be the government's job to minimize the waste of time. If that means staffing more agents and setting up more checkpoints, so be it. Can it be good for the country to waste people's time?

PhlyingRPh likes this.