Here Comes The Front!

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by TimeZoneCST, May 22, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. TimeZoneCST
    Original Member

TimeZoneCST Silver Member

Status Points:
    A few pic's out my back door. Just another summer evening in Chicago.

Attached Files:

Jubileesmom, Bob Smolinsky and Chimpy like this.
  2. Gargoyle
    Original Member

Gargoyle Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    pretty dramatic pix- where are you? I'm a few miles from Elgin Tracon, it's been threatening all afternoon but nothing real has developed. Someone just called to say there's a tornado watch/warning at RFD.

Jubileesmom likes this.
  3. TimeZoneCST
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Gargoyle - I am in Huntley. 5mi N of 90, .5mi east of 47. All bark, no bite! Believe it or not it never brought one drop of precip, LOL! Looking as I type at a small craft on approach into LITH.

Jubileesmom likes this.
  4. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    This afternoon a tornado touched down in the far northern suburbs of Minneapolis. Spotters said it was on the ground for more than twenty minutes. Damage was reported but no injuries.

5. Gargoyle
    Original Member

Gargoyle Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    I'm about 15 mi. SE from you, it was just heavily overcast all afternoon, no rain, no drama. Visitors drove out from the city to see us around 4 and passed through a hailstorm on I-90, it left lots of white spots on their car but no actual dings.

My neighbor is having a fiesta this evening with a live band, hope they don't get rained on.

I tried looking up the latitude/longitude from your profile and it seems to be in Kyrgyzstan?

Chimpy likes this.
  6. TimeZoneCST
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Ha,ha that's funny. Not only do my text messages get garbled into things I don't intend to say... why should I think that my coordinates would actually be accurate :confused:

MSPeconomist likes this.
  7. Gargoyle
    Original Member

Gargoyle Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    Here's the site where I looked up the coordinates. You can either enter coordinates and see where it is, or click a map point and see the coordinates: http://itouchmap.com/latlong.html
    It looks like you just have to add a minus sign behind the longitude to get it right.

BTW, heavy thunder started here about 15 minutes ago, I haven't looked outside to see what it's doing.

edit to add: no, just adding a minus sign to your longitude puts you on Randall Rd. near Lake in the Hills, so it's a little bit off.

TimeZoneCST likes this.
  8. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    Hey Gargoyle, how are your chickens coping with the weather? Do you bring them inside? Are you holding and petting them for reassurance?

9. violist
    Original Member

violist Gold Member

Status Points:
    Depending on the NEWS of it, he could be either in Chinggir, Sinkiang
    or someplace in Illinois - or at sea.

Gargoyle and TimeZoneCST like this.
  10. Gargoyle
    Original Member

Gargoyle Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    Who knows, I didn't bother checking on them.
    :p

Actually, they have a pretty fancy coop, built of structural insulated wall and roof panels, with windows, a choice of nesting boxes, food and water, a high up perch, and in the winter they have two heat lamps. I'm going to replace the roof over the rest of their pen this week, to let more sunlight in.

11. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    Update from the frozen north:

The tornado activity here this afternoon seems to have been much worse than reported earlier. There were two tornado episodes, one i the northern suburbs and then a city neighborhood on the north side of town and the other in the northern outskirts. The first had a path of destruction three miles long. It was wide and low with no warning, although the area was under a tornado watch for much of the day.

One man was killed and at least thirty people were injured, two critically. several hundred displaced people have been bussed to an emergency shelter in the national guard armory. Power is out in part of the city and there is a 9 pm curfew in the affected area. A local emergency has been declared. Some schools will be closed tomorrow.

12. Gargoyle
    Original Member

Gargoyle Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    Missouri really got hit hard last night. There were 68 reported tornadoes across seven Midwest states this weekend, from Oklahoma to Wisconsin, but Joplin, MO really got it bad; an estimated 89 people killed. The twister hit one hospital with over 300 patients, the staff just had a few minutes warning to try to move patients to safe locations in the 9 story building. A busy commercial area was also hit. Terrible.​

13. Bob Smolinsky
    Original Member

Bob Smolinsky Gold Member

Status Points:
    Amazing pics....

14. TimeZoneCST
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Fixed. Thanks Gargoyle for the link to get correct coordinates!

15. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    Another update: In north Minneapolis, 60 of 68 homes in a four block area (plus 18 garages) were totally destroyed or rendered uninhabitable. Ten thousand people were without electric power earlier today. Progress is being made in clearing streets and covering roofs with blue tarps. Most schools will be open tomorrow.

16. catgirl
    Original Member

catgirl Gold Member

Status Points:
    Wow! I heard that was awful weather around that time. I was on a beach getting daily reports from my peeps in the Chicago area, lol.

TimeZoneCST and Gargoyle like this.