Helping Planning ORD-UIO-GYE-MAO-UIO-ORD

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Travel' started by Traveling Momma, Mar 4, 2013.  |  Print Topic

1. Traveling Momma

Traveling Momma Silver Member

Status Points:
    Hi all -

We are planning a 12 day trip from Chicago to Quito, Ecuador over to the Galapagos then to Manuas (amazon jungle lodge) for about 3 days, back to Quito and then home to Chicago over December 26 - Jan. 4th, 2013/14. We are a family of 3 and want to fly business or first class on points. I believe we have enough for all 3 of us at about 400,000 on AA. We also have 80K in UR and 50K in Marriott Rewards.

How should we go about searching for 3 of these tickets together? And, I believe we should look at LAN for Guayaquil and Manaus, correct? Any direction on the best methodology of searching for 3 seats together in business or first on AA or partners, is welcomed. Your comments on the best product and ways to make this itinerary work best are appreciated.

Thanks, Blue.

2. Gardyloo
    Original Member

Gardyloo Gold Member

Status Points:
    Frankly I think it's going to be a struggle - holiday peaks for domestic segments, peak demand period for South America.

Lan doesn't fly with business class cabins on most intra-South America routes anymore, so you'd have to ride coach down there. I also can't find a GYE-MAO route with any Oneworld coverage - everything routes via MIA or Central America, thus it would require multiple awards with AA's scheme. Unfortunately, Brazil is a big hole in Lan's coverage, at least until Latam gets going.

FWIW AA doesn't fly F to "near" South America; business class is the highest cabin grade. (It's just nomenclature - still the pointy end of the plane.)

To see Lan availability you'll have to phone AA or else sign up for Lan's FFP and look for space on their website, then ask AA if it can be booked with AAdvantage miles. Usually that will be okay.

3. Traveling Momma

Traveling Momma Silver Member

Status Points:
    Hummm, that's disappointing to hear. Maybe have to think about Plan B.