Helping Cancer Survivors [Nominate a Member]

Discussion in 'Community Center' started by Randy Petersen, May 6, 2016.  |  Print Topic

1. Randy Petersen
    Original Member

Randy Petersen Founder

Status Points:
    bravebox_-_logo_-_ribbon-2.png
    InsideFlyer has a long history of helping others, and we want to add to our history by partnering with the Freddie Awards and help women cancer survivors. SO—here in the month of May we will provide a member of InsideFlyer or a fellow flyer—encouragement in fighting cancer by donating two one-year subscriptions to BraveBox™.

BraveBox™ is a monthly subscription box for women cancer survivors, by a cancer survivor. It’s like the Birchbox for cancer warriors. Each month inspiration, wisdom and amazing products are delivered right to the survivors door.

Each monthly box contains:
    • Monthly Mantra
      Each box contains our monthly mantra, wisdom, and challenges to move you forward after a cancer diagnosis. It encourages you to be brave with your life.

• Fun Surprises
      Look forward to hand-selected surprises every month that make you smile. Luxurious bath, beauty products and the very best accessories.

• Fuel the Fight
      Each box delivered helps another brave warrior. Your BraveBox™ supports the cancer community and helps a future survivor thrive.

InsideFlyer and the Freddie Awards will each donate a 12-month BraveBox to either a woman member of InsideFlyer who is a current cancer survivor or a woman fellow flyer who is also a current cancer survivor. Each box contains BraveBoxs' monthly mantra, wisdom, and challenges to move survivors forward after a cancer diagnosis.

This will be a limited edition in partnership with LIVESTRONG.

In this thread, nominate someone we can help. Be it yourself, another member of InsideFlyer that you know or a fellow flyer. We will pick two nominees on May 26 and immediately start their BraveBox subscription.

UPDATE: Ed (Pizzaman) has added an additional BraveBox to be provided and i will "status match" him with donating one of my own. There are now a total of 4 BraveBoxes to go to helping make a day better for cancer survivors.

Last edited: May 9, 2016
    estnet and uggboy like this.
  2. chrislacey
    Original Member

chrislacey Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    I nominate my Aunt Veronica, a nurse, frequent traveler and breast cancer survivor. Not a member of IF, her and I did a great photo shoot for the Susan Komen effort when InsideFlyer was MilePoint. She continues to support cancer research and education, and is a true hero in support of women everywhere going through their own cancer battles.

Attached Files:

Denny, Pizzaman, estnet and 1 other person like this.
  3. Pizzaman
    Original Member

Pizzaman Co-founder

Status Points:
    Chris, I remember the photo shoot well! I hope Veronica is doing great!

Randy, I can't let you have all the fun. So, I'll be funding a 3rd 1-year subscription to Brave Box personally. Just so we can help one more person.

#itsagoodday

chrislacey and Denny like this.
  4. Miss Staunton

Miss Staunton Silver Member

Status Points:
    I nominate my daughter-in-law Sara. Sara has survived breast cancer twice. She was first diagnosed with breast cancer when she was a newlywed, married for only 9 months. Four years from her diagnosis she delivered their first child.

Sara and my stepson have been very active in programs to raise money, awareness, support and education. They participate in the Pan-Mass challenge, a 192 mile bike ride ride, the largest athletic fundraising event in the country. Sara is a cancer researcher running clinical trials all over the world. With her drive to be part of a cancer cure, her desire to help women she has volunteered in many events to raise money for cancer research including but not limited by any means to appearing on QVC to sell shoes, working with Estée Lauder in promotions in Boston, counseling young women who were like her telling her successful story of being able to still get pregnant and have a family. All the doctors at Dana Farber Cancer Center know Sara and how she gives 200% of her time toward this disease. She has the personal experience as well as the professional experience from her work with drug companies all over the world.

Last summer, 16 years after her initial diagnosis, she once again was diagnosed with breast cancer, a different strain. During these intervening 16years she has had numerous biopsies, scans, etc. Rather than going through biopsies and scans for the rest of her life, she opted for a bi-lateral mastectomy. With this second diagnosis, she gave up her job to focus more on herself, her health and her almost two children.

If anyone deserves a subscription for a Brave box, it would be my daughter-in-law Sara

5. Pizzaman
    Original Member

Pizzaman Co-founder

Status Points:
    Miss Staunton, thanks so much for sharing Sara's story. I'm rooting for her and her family. Survivors of multiple cancers are truly strong folks!

chrislacey and Miss Staunton like this.
  6. sargenet
    Original Member

sargenet Silver Member

Status Points:
    I nominate my sister Donna. My sister developed breast cancer a second time last year. It was her second time in 10 years. This time in her other breast. She had genetic testing and was diagnosed as having the BRCA1 mutation. I rushed to get tested and also tested positive. When you have a BRCA1 mutation you have a 80+ % chance of getting breast cancer and a 40+% chance of ovarian cancer.

They recommend preventative surgeries. TO remove your breasts and your ovaries. In October 2015 my sister and I both went to have our ovaries removed. SHe was fine. I was diagnosed with ovarian cancer. I was 48.

I just completed 18 weeks of chemo. MY sister had her double mastectomy and I will have mine in September when I recover from the chemo. SO here we are, two sisters. I am 49 and she is 50 and we are both battling cancer.

MY sister and I life in different states. I am fortunate to have a supportive husband and a wonderful 12 year old son. MY sister doesn't have the support that I have. We support each other over the phone. Her cancer has destroyed her body and she had to go on disability. SHe is in constant pain.

I am doing decent. I have many trips planned is summer with my family. MY chance of recurrence is high, so I am going to travel all summer and enjoy life. MY sister just bought a power wheelchair due to her physical limitations.

SO I think something special like this would really cheer her up. SHe can't travel like she used to. WE used to take trips together as much as possible. But it is hard for her to sit on a plane. So I will fly to see her this summer like I did last summer.

I know it would cheer ME up to receive this subscription. I need some inspiration. I really struggle with the odds they gave me due to my mutation. I have a child at home and I worry constantly about now being here for him. MY dad died when I was 17 so I know how hard it is to lose a parent.

BUt this would be appreciated for me or my sister. THanks!

Last edited: May 7, 2016
  7. Pizzaman
    Original Member

Pizzaman Co-founder

Status Points:
    What a heartfelt story! I just read it to my wife and daughter and we're all shedding a tear with a smile in honor of both of you.

chrislacey likes this.
  8. sargenet
    Original Member

sargenet Silver Member

Status Points:
    Thanks. I am trying to give back and raise awareness. I am getting trained in the "Survivors teaching students" program. We speak to 3rd year medical students and share our story. We are trying to make them aware of some of the symptoms women have that are being missed. Ovarian cancer is known as the silent killer. By the time it is diagnosed it is too late. Most women don't live 5 years. My primary doc missed a bunch of symptoms I had. so I hope by speaking to med students we can make them aware so they can know the symptoms.

9. scubaflyer
    Original Member

scubaflyer Silver Member

Status Points:
    I nominate my grandmother Ericka. She has battled cancer multiple times over the past 8-9 years, each time beating it back and refusing to let it dictate "when it's her time". Even though the cancer has taken many things from her, she has never let it take anything from her spirit. She is still the feisty (and often unfiltered) fireball I remember growing up and developing an adult friendship with later in life.

She spent the majority of her life as a teaching nurse, making sure that new nurses were properly trained and skilled to take care of others. She has touched countless peoples' lives both directly in her nursing care as well as through the other nurses she has taught over 30+ years in nursing. She was one of the first people in my life that I looked up to because of her love of travel. She has seen almost every corner of the US and been able to see many places oversees. She taught me that going someplace new was exciting and a learning experience, not scary or unnecessary. I have always admired her ability to adapt to new environments and seek out new adventures. She has not traveled much lately, and instead lives vicariously through my travels now. I know a gift like this would lift her spirits like a trip to a new exotic destination.

Though see has worked through all of the chemo, radiation, and surgeries over the years, she faces a new challenge now. A tumor is back on her vocal cords, making it very difficult for her to talk (dare I say one of her favorite things to do). This requires another surgery, and there is a good chance she may lose her ability to speak even with a successfully surgery to remove the tumor. Even with her formidable strength, I know she is afraid of this one. I'm her first grandchild, and I'll be there by her side for the surgery in a week to provide my support. She has been an inspiration to me all through my life. She was the motivation for me to train for my first marathon. I then trained and raised donations as part of the American Cancer Society Determination team for the Chicago Marathon. The attached picture is my dedication to her at the Determination dinner the night before the Chicago Marathon in Oct 2011. This was heavy on my mind while traveling with SMD3 (Sept 2011), and I remember talking with both Randy and Ed (and others) about it and getting lots of support from this frequent flier community.

Please consider my grandmother for this gracious gift. I know it would mean the world to her.

Attached Files:

Last edited: May 19, 2016
  10. Pizzaman
    Original Member

Pizzaman Co-founder

Status Points:
    What a great story (and I do remember talking about her amidst our SMD fundraising). The throat tumor sounds like a tough obstacle. Count me amongst the team of people rooting for her!

chrislacey likes this.
  11. danceonetwo

danceonetwo New Member

Status Points:
    image.jpeg Hi my Name is Heather Frantz I was diagnosed with Ovarian Cancer in 2012 at the age of 26. I hade a 11 pound germ cell tumor. The doctors told my parents if I didn't go to the ER when I did I would not be here today. When I got to the ER my blood pressure was 210/168 and my heart rate was close to 200 and I was in kidney failure. They transported me to a Turma hospital were I hade emergency surgery. A month after surgery I started chemotherapy. I've been in remission for 3 years. But during chemotherapy treatments I started getting sicker and more things wrong with me. I got diagnosed with Hashimotos, pituitary tumor, chronic pain, chronic fatigue, digestive problems, sevear raynouads phenomenon, stage 3 kidney disease, osteoporosis and a lot of other medical problems this isn't even half of them. I'm at the doctors 3 to 4 times a week most of them r 2 hours each way. By the time I get home I berly have enough energy to play with my 13 year old brother. I miss out on a lot of things and I don't get to do the things I would love to do. I will be having my 13th surgery on June 1st sense 2012. I also have pervasive developmental disorder. Wich is the beginning of autism. I would love to get a subscription for hope box but I can't afford it. I can barely afford all my medicine and my medical. I have to pick and choose what medicines I really need for the month. Medicaid only covers some. I'm also starting to have speech, mummery, and vishion problems. I live with my parents and younger brother. I don't no what I would do without them. My Mom takes me to all my appointments. I can't drive. The hardest part is nobody's ever done a fundraiser for me. People would tell my parents they were going to but then the never did. My dream would be to have hope jars or bags and deliver them to People in the hospital. Like joy jars only mine would be for adults and kids. I would call it Heathers Hope. I want to cheer them up and give them something to do. I was so bored in the hospital there was nothing to do. I would just sit there land stare at the white walls and cry. I would also like to paint the walls on the oncology floor at the hospital I was at in Savannah GA. I also want to make a hang out room so adults can have fun while in the hospital getting chemotherapy. It will take their minds off of things.

Pizzaman and chrislacey like this.
  12. bettyc

bettyc New Member

Status Points:
    I nominate my best friend of 30 years, Marion Cotting, who is 86 years old. She was diagnosed with breast cancer last year, has completed her chemo treatments and surgery, & is now going through daily radiation. She has taken this all in stride with a good attitude, even after her husband lost a kidney to cancer. She had a lot of friends who took turns taking her to chemo, but now drives herself to radiation treatments & endless doctor appointments. I'm sad that someone of her age would have to go through this, as aging has enough assaults of its own. Marion is a strong woman and my hero! She deserves some good karma. :)

Pizzaman and chrislacey like this.
  13. Pizzaman
    Original Member

Pizzaman Co-founder

Status Points:
    There are some great stories about some brave people here. Randy and I committed to 4 boxes and we had 6 great nominees. We went our separate way to pick our top 4.

I enlisted the help of my daughter, Catherine, to try and narrow down the tough choice. I think Randy used a Ouija board, but I can't be sure.

After a bit of deliberation, Randy and I ended up back on the phone. The conversation took all of 30 seconds to end up with the easy decision.

Randy and I both agreed to pay for another yearly subscription so that all 6 nominees end up with a small win.

For those 6 individuals who nominated/self-nominated above, please start a private conversation with me here on IF. Provide me with the name and address (and an e-mail address if you have it) and we'll take care of the rest.

These are some pretty awesome stories of some fighters. Everyone at IF is proud to honor these survivors today.

14. danceonetwo

danceonetwo New Member

Status Points:
    Thank you I just sent you a conversation let me no if you don't get it.

15. Pizzaman
    Original Member

Pizzaman Co-founder

Status Points:
    I've got it. We're on it!

16. danceonetwo

danceonetwo New Member

Status Points:
    Ok thank you

17. danceonetwo

danceonetwo New Member

Status Points:
    I will try to send you my e-mail

18. danceonetwo

danceonetwo New Member

Status Points:
  19. sargenet
    Original Member

sargenet Silver Member

Status Points:
    Ed and Randy: I just wanted to thank you for the boxes sent to both myself and my sister. She received hers yesterday and didn't know where it came from! She thought maybe it came from Cancer Treatment Centers but she wasn't sure. Today I received my box and reached out to my sister to see if she got a "mysterious box". She said she did but didn't know where it came from. She asked me if I had sent it. When I explained to her where it came from she was blown away and touched beyond words.

She asked me how to thank you guys and I told her I would reach out here and thank you for both of us. I know I was touched beyond words and got very emotional! This journey has been very hard and little things like this mean more that words can say!

I have more surgeries ahead of me but this summer I have been traveling as much as I can! Just burned a bunch of points and miles for a trip to Hawaii! Getting ready to run off on a California adventure then Florida with my son before the summer ends!

Traveling is the one thing I love to do that makes me so happy! My energy is getting stronger each day and I finally have a little bit of hair!

But once again my sister and I are thankful for these boxes and we are touched beyond words...

20. alfagirl

alfagirl Gold Member

Status Points:
    This is amazing!
    I just saw this thread, how did I miss it?
    I will make sure to keep my eyes peeled for more opportunities like this.
    Keep up the great work.

Pizzaman likes this.
  21. Pizzaman
    Original Member

Pizzaman Co-founder

Status Points:
    I'm so happy you and your sister were happy to receive the boxes. I'm so glad we were able to play a small part in helping you in your fight against cancer.

22. Pizzaman
    Original Member

Pizzaman Co-founder

Status Points:
    You know us well enough to know there will be another opportunity for us to do good together!

alfagirl likes this.