Help!!!

Discussion in 'Newbies' started by chacey88, Apr 17, 2013.  |  Print Topic

1. chacey88

chacey88 Member

Status Points:
    Hi everyone, I'm a newbie. I heard about this site on the radio today and it sounded like a good way to get cheap flights but I am having a really hard time getting my head around this this site and how it works, for example how to earn points and how to redeem them for flights rather than just up grading from economy to business. I can't work out how many points I would need for me and my partner to obtain return flights to morocco next march. Can anyone help me figure this out?! Thanks!!

2. sobore
    Original Member

sobore Gold Member

Status Points:
    Welcome to Milepoint!
    This site does not award points for flight redemption.
    The points earned on this site are used for status levels on Milepoint.
    If yoiu have a specific airline you will be flying, you can ask upgrade and award questions in the airlines forum here on Milepoint.
    You can also ask your question here with the details of your trip and we will all try to help. :)

marcwint55, boondr and TravelBear like this.
  3. chacey88

chacey88 Member

Status Points:
    Thanks for your reply, I'm still not sure what status level points means? Cheers

marcwint55, boondr and TravelBear like this.
  4. daninstl

daninstl Gold Member

Status Points:
    Status level on milepoint is just your status as a poster on this forum. Nothing to do with travel.
    I would suggest you read through these forums and look for simple ideas to start with. I would also suggest you check out the boardingarea blogs at boardingarea.com and look for posts for newbies. It's like learning another language. You won't learn it all in a day. Good luck.

5. TravelBear

TravelBear Gold Member

Status Points:
    Hello and welcome. First up....what is your goal? Do you want to fly cheap/free or are you interested in airline status which will give you perks? If you do not travel a lot already as part of work or just for leisure getting both can be tricky. There are a lot of blogs out there that you should become familiar with: Million Mile Secrets, Milevalue, The Points Guy, The Frugal Travel Guy, Frequent Flyer University, Frequent Miler.....and lot's more. Most of these sites have a beginner section so start there. Get a better idea of some things so you can ask more pointed questions versus very general questions.(Though we don't mind general questions here like some other places).

Regarding flying to Morocco, we would need more information like where do you plan on flying out of as that may determine the Airline/Alliance that would work better for you.

Again welcome to MP!:)

6. marcwint55

marcwint55 Gold Member

Status Points:
    welcome to Milepoint. As travel bear stated, if your location and preferred airline are listed, there should be several people who can give you advice.

7. gconnery

gconnery Silver Member

Status Points:
    chacey88,

The basic strategy is to determine what airline you'll be flying, then get one or more credit cards that allow you to accumulate miles in that program, or in some other program that can be transferred to that one. As others have said, what airline you want to fly is the first question. So for example, points earned on Chase Sapphire card will transfer to United but not to American Airlines. Things like that.

8. richardfredy

richardfredy Member

Status Points:
    thank you friends and it was really a usefull information

SuperKirby likes this.