Help with travel to Addis Ababa and Lusaka

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Miles/Points' started by Icarus, Mar 12, 2013.  |  Print Topic

1. Icarus

Icarus Active Member

Status Points:
    I am traveling from SNA or LAX to ADD 4/22/13 or a couple days later (then on to MQX 4/27) returning 8/30/2013 +/- a couple days. I tried to use Alaska Airlines miles and there is an Emirates flight from SEA to ADD but because my trip is longer than 90 days, they could not book it because of their partner contracts. No availability on KLM/Air France which also has the 90 day max trip policy. There is a British Airways to NBO which is just 2 hours and $150 flight away from ADD, but it is 100,000 miles and $850 in fuel surcharges and taxes so the CPM is 0.8
    Outbound there is coach LAX-LHR then business LHR-NBO then first all the way back NBO-LHR-LAX for 160,000 miles and I'm guessing another two hundred in taxes on top of the $850, which is probably on the order of 6 CPM. Any thoughts on other options? Any way to get around the 90 day maximum stay? Alaska doesn't do one way tickets but they said they would start the end of March/early April.

I also have 100k miles on United but am thinking of using them for getting from ADD to LUN on 5/3/13 then from LUN to ADD on 8/14. Is that a good use of United miles?

I also have about 50k BA miles and 38K AA.

Thank you in advance for sharing your knowledge with me.

2. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    I have found it to be really easy to get coach awards to ADD with UA miles (on UA/LH/Ethiopian). And one-way awards are nice.

3. Icarus

Icarus Active Member

Status Points:
    Thanks, I am going to try to use UA miles to fly coach ADD to LUN and back. I couldn't pass up using 160K Alaskan Airlines miles to fly business LAX to LHR then 1st LHR to NBO and 1st all the way back.
    I have to bring a suitcase full of books to ADD so I hope the airline I choose for NBO to ADD isn't outrageous with their excess baggage fees. I saw on Ethiopian Airlines website that they allow 30 kg on that NBO ADD flight and 7kg carryon. Does anyone know FLY 540's baggage policy? I looked on their website and it only said according to carrier regulations but did not state them.

4. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

Status Points:
    I have heard from people who have flown Ethiopian that they can be quite strict wih their carry-on restrictions.

5. Icarus

Icarus Active Member

Status Points:
    ok, thanks, that is good to know!

6. SM105

SM105 Silver Member

Status Points:
    ET are very pragmatic about carry-ons. If there is a full flight, they will restrict you to the official 1 piece/ 7 kgs, but if you have a very tight connection due to a flight delay (<15 mins), they will encourage you to take anything that can be carried on board with you.

Keep in mind that a big chunk of ET's passengers are professional traders who use any trick in the book to squeeze out every last ounce of free baggage allowance from the airline. That is what the strict policies are attempted to control. If you are a regular tourist or business traveler, they are much more flexible.

7. Icarus

Icarus Active Member

Status Points:
    Thank you for the helpful information! I appreciate it.

8. Icarus

Icarus Active Member

Status Points:
    I looked at the Kenya Airways website and they allow 10 kg for carryon instead of ET's 7kg and allow the same for checked luggage 30kg but they charge $6/kg excess instead of $8 like ET. I still haven't found info on Fly540.

9. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

Status Points:
  10. Icarus

Icarus Active Member

Status Points:
    What a good idea! Why didn't I think of that? Go straight to the people I want information from. Thanks for the links.

11. Icarus

Icarus Active Member

Status Points:
    Update: I booked a coach ticket MQX - ADD - LUN with 25,000 UA miles and $1 in taxes. Flight would have cost $760.