Help with southern France

Discussion in 'Hyatt | Gold Passport' started by Steven Schwartz, Jul 15, 2013.  |  Print Topic

1. Steven Schwartz
    Original Member

Steven Schwartz Gold Member

Status Points:
    Hi all-

Planning a trip that will include southern France and a return to Paris. Preliminary thoughts are 3 days or so in either Nice or Cannes, 4-5 nights in the heart of Provence - probably Aix-en-Provence - and then up to Paris for 5 nights.

There seem to be two good Hyatts to choose from - one in Nice and one in Paris. I would greatly appreciate any thoughts/feedback about which hotel/city to stay in and why. I have enough points that I would probably redeem for the Suite award - 27,000 in Nice and 33,000 in Cannes.

Thanks for the help!

jbcarioca and marcwint55 like this.
  2. brucewil

brucewil Silver Member

Status Points:
    Funny, we planning a similar trip for next June. I have the flights in/ out of LHR. We will start with a few days in AMS, then head to Paris, then on to the south of France for Nice/Eze. I heard good things about the Chateau de la chevre d'or. Maybe onto Monaco?? The second week itinerary not set in stone.

Probably staying at the Hyatt in Paris and Amsterdam

jbcarioca and marcwint55 like this.
  3. Steven Schwartz
    Original Member

Status Points:

I would HOPE you've heard good things about that hotel! Rates start at 680 Euro per night. We will probably stay at one of the Hyatts but would also consider the JW Marriott - have enough points for either. In Paris, we'll pass on the wonderful Park Hyatt - we've been there three times and absolutely love it. This time we plan to return to the recently reopened Starwood Prince de Galles. Have always gotten great upgrades there and looking forward to returning. Hope they continue to take exceptional care of Starwood Platinum Elites!

As to the third hotel in Aix, here's the one we're strongly considering. Reasonable for a Junior Suite at about $1780 for a four night stay and seems to have fine reviews. If it's like our trip to Tuscany, we're out traveling all day long. Want a really nice place but not willing to spend $5000 for the four nights!

http://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Re...ix_en_Provence_Bouches_du_Rhone_Provence.html

Here's hoping we both have a great time Bruce. Can't imagine it could be anything else!

jbcarioca likes this.
  4. Steven Schwartz
    Original Member

Status Points:
    BTW spoke to Hyatt. You can use Suite awards at either Hyatt. Nice gets an Executive Room and Cannes gets a Junior suite. Both over 500 sq meters. 27,000 points per night for Nice and 33,000 for Cannes.

jbcarioca likes this.
  5. marcwint55

marcwint55 Gold Member

Status Points:

I would go for Nice. I have stayed in both locations, although not at Hyatt hotels. If you have the time and transportation, I would highly recommend driving to the first Italian city past Monte Carlo. It is not a long drive from Nice and the city of Ventimiglia was truly enjoyable. There are fantastic restaurants on the water and the people were unbelievably friendly. If you decide on Cannes I would try the JW Marriott. We stayed there when it was the Hilton Noga and we had a huge suite with our own private elevator. It was a great hotel. We had originally booked the Martinez and we changed hotels as I found the staff at the Martinez snooty and rude. This was of course several years ago.

jbcarioca likes this.
  6. jbcarioca
    Original Member

jbcarioca Gold Member

Status Points:
    I owned a house in Saint Paul de Vence for more than 25 years and have spent lots of wonderful times in all those cities. The real question is what you most enjoy. The flavor of various places in the area is dramatically different, and different areas of Nice are truly diffferent cities. I have stayed in quite a few hotels in the area since we sold our house. Our preference runs towards individual hotels rather than chains when we're in that area, so we cannot opine on Hyatts.

If I had three days I'd stay in Nice, close to or in Vieux Nice. However, were it me, I'd go elsewhere for the other two days. If you're a gambler and/or like serious ostentation spending time in Monaco is worthwhile. I have been to all the border towns and have enjoyed them all, but remember that they are not quite so spectacular as the famous ones. Cap d'Antibes is exciting for most people,. The Picasso Museum and the Madura Gallery in Biot taht has all Picasso ceramics are musts for a picasso lover as is the Renoir Museum in his house in Cagnes sur Mer (all these are within a half hour from Nice, assuming enough time to get lost). Nearby in Saint Paul is La Colombe d'Or with teh dining room stuffed full of impressionistic work, and the Gallery Maeght, a superb collection of impressionists founded by a major dealer. Not too far beyond is the Matisse Chapel in Vence. The list can go on endlessly, including places of special interest for beachgoers, hikers, foodies, antiquities buffs etc.

Near Aix there are countless special places too, as well as Aix itself.

Frankly my problem is how to choose in any of these places for three days or five days rather than which one is best. There are so many spectacular options (Gorge du Verdon!) that you cannot go wrong whatever your choice of city(ies)

Major points: 1) have a GPS-it will save you countless reroutes; 2) rent a nice car- you'll spend a lot of time in it; 3) if while racing between two places you see something intriguing STOP. Lots of the best places are ones not listed in the guidebooks. 4) if you're into wine, don't order expensive stuff. Most often locals drink rose and most often choose the house wine. We've a ridiculously overdone cellar and always have the house wines in Alpes Maritime/Provence, including in the finest restaurants. 5) don't worry if you don't get to see everything you wanted too. You'll be back!:)

Steven Schwartz likes this.
  7. LarryInNYC

LarryInNYC Gold Member

Status Points:
    My step-mother will likely be spending about four days in Saint Paul de Vence this fall. Quite a bit different than Dr. Schwartz's trip (she would be staying in Les Remparts). She's a non-young woman and would be without car but with a small dog. Any insider suggestions gratefully received.

8. Steven Schwartz
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Nice to hear me almost described as a "not young" man! How did she choose Saint Paul de Vence and Les Remparts?

9. LarryInNYC

LarryInNYC Gold Member

Status Points:

Certainly did not mean to compare the age of my step-mother (who has many years on you!) with yours. Just wanted to clue jb in on the fact that a recommendation for, say, the best disco or tattoo parlor in St Paul might not be entirely useful. (Again, not to suggest that you would find those suggestions useful).

As to how she's winding up in St Paul, she's taking a small group tour in the Avignon area but will have some days free before the apartment she's renting on the Ile de la Cite in Paris is available. The tour operator recommended St Paul and this hotel as one being reasonably priced and that will take dogs.

And to be clear -- I'm not saying you wouldn't want to go to a disco.

I'm pretty sure, however, I'm right about the tattoos.

10. Steven Schwartz
    Original Member

Status Points:
    You have me pegged!

11. deant
    Original Member

deant Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    Just got back from staying at both the Hyatt Martinez (Cannes) and the Paris Vendome. The Martinez was fantastic. I had done the "Diamond trial" just before leaving so had status which did help. We stayed at both hotels on points. In Cannes we were upgraded to a full ocean view room. Since it was over Bastille day, there were fireworks on the beach that we could watch from our balcony. Breakfast was very good. Full buffet with omelet station. Staff went out of their way to recognize our status. As for location, I prefer Cannes over Nice. Smaller city and easier to get around. Parking was extremely expensive but it is everywhere.

For Vendome, I had paid for an upgrade to street view to ensure we had a view that was better than over the trash bins. Received just what we paid for. No real recognition of status. Breakfast was great.

You can't go wrong at either hotel.