Help with routing LAX to HIR (Honiara, Solomon Islands) with no stopover >24h

Discussion in 'American Airlines | AAdvantage' started by tiburontucson, Jun 18, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. I'm trying to book AA award travel LAX-NAN-HIR 11/5/2011. There is only one Air Pacific flight per week (on Tuesdays) going to HIR 11/8/11 FJ261 NAN-HIR which leaves at 0830. The problem is that FJ 811 LAX-NAN departs LAX 11/5 2330, arrives at 0530 on 11/7 (Monday) and this results in greater than 24h stopover in NAN. Per AA regs, this will cost me an additional 20K! I've looked at routing through HON but no award seats available. Can someone suggest another routing that might work? How about Oneworld? Thx in advance

2. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    Welcome to MP.

Are you absolutely sure that the rule for the program whose miles you're using in not that something doesn't count as a stopover if it's less than 24 hours OR the next flight? Have you tried to book it and have you called the airline on this?

3. gleff
    Original Member

gleff Co-founder

Status Points:
    Hmm, I don't think there's any way to HIR with American miles other than Air Pacific, and of course LAX-NAN isn't daily so you can't just move it forward a day.

Now, I always rather assumed that the rule to avoid stopover was less than 24 hours or next possible departure which of course you would be taking, so I'd have guessed AA wouldn't charge extra miles for a forced 27h connection.

But then I've never tried to do it. Honestly can't think of another routing to make this work.

4. I have tried, multiple times. Not a common itinerary so each new agent has to "check" with someone else, but they always come back with the same answer, extra 20K needed. I've even tried to plead that it's a FORCED stopover, not my choice, and they are sympathetic, but stand firm.

I have to admit that I'm not really well versed in this language, but this is the language I've found for AAdvantage All Airline Awards :
    "[edit] Stopovers

[edit] DEFINITION

• Passenger has 24 hours to connect if travel includes points outside of North America.
    • If there are no scheduled flights meeting the 4 hour timeframe, regardless of availability, the passenger must take the next scheduled flight but may not exceed 24 hours. If the connection exceeds 24 hours, it will be considered a stopover"
    and also
    "North America to/from other regions
    • Passenger has 6 hours to connect. If there are no scheduled flights within 6 hours, regardless of availability, the passenger must take the next scheduled flight but, may not exceed 24 hours.
    • A connection with more than 24 hours will be considered a stopover"

• That's why I was wondering if there might be different routing that would also work, but it appears that there are "rules" for how to travel to the Solomon Islands, too.....
    Even via Oneworld would require 100K, I think, based on total mileage of >14K

5. gleff
    Original Member

gleff Co-founder

Status Points:
    Thanks for pulling the actual rules, indeed it would appear any stop over 24 hours even if it's the next available flight forces extra miles. There doesn't appear any way around it and doesn't appear any other routing with AA miles that I can find. Just one of those destinations, it would seem...

6. I'm a newbie so grateful for more experienced folks taking a look to see if I was missing something.