Help with next CC's to get...residence in US but currently living abroad

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Credit Cards' started by ilovskins12, Feb 5, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. ilovskins12

ilovskins12 Active Member

Status Points:
    I am currently living in Germany for work but still have residence in the U.S (I can still get any U.S cc). I recently applied and was approved for the UA explorer 50k and the chase saffire preferred 50k. I am looking for some help on the next 2-3 cards I should apply for. The only catch is that I need cards that don't have foreign transaction fees and since I just got approved for two chase cards, I don't know how many more chase I can get right away. What are the best cards not associated with chase that have no foreign trans fees. I am currently at united mileage plus but am open to any high value point cards. Thanks!

2. tondoleo
    Original Member

tondoleo Gold Member

Status Points:
    Here is a link to a blog that has a list of cards without forex fees.

http://www.nerdwallet.com/blog/top-credit-cards/no-foreign-transaction-fee-credit-card/

Capital One used to be the go to cards for this. There are rumblings there Venture card will have a promo similar to last year's. Amex has the Platinum card. You have to decide if it is worthy for your wallet. Citi has the new AA Executive card. If you don't fly AA it is not for you.

Good luck.

Welcome to MP. If you moniker refers to the redskins you have my empathy.

TheTravelAbstract likes this.
  3. TheTravelAbstract

TheTravelAbstract Silver Member

Status Points:
    Chase is the best resource for reward programs that have no foreign transactions.You really are up against it here.

Citi Thank You cards are ok but I think their Signup bonus was recently dropped from 50k to 30k.

Amex Platinum is $450 annual fee but I think they have a 50k bonus floating out there.

A Discover cashback card might be a good idea.

Credit Union debit or credit cash back too.

Those are just my ideas. If anybody else has more information I hope they can help. Good Luck

tondoleo and miles and smiles like this.
  4. stan
    Original Member

stan Silver Member

Status Points:
    In general ,Chase has the best deals , u should have no problem to get 2 chase cards ever 60-90 days if hav a limited number of credit inq.now

but-- do not limit ur self to only none f/x fees-- some cards require only a one time purchase to get the bonus

if u plan out ur attack u can get 4-6 cards every 3 months

also the amex plat- find /wait a 50k offer , do the card later in the year , this way u will get a $200 misc airline credit in 2012 and a 2nd $200 in 2013 --that will pay for the 450 fee

most important -- read the blogs -learn - ask and read more -- in a short time u will be aware of the how-when -what of credit cards

good luck

tondoleo likes this.
  5. Jeff the Wanderer

Jeff the Wanderer Silver Member

Status Points:
    I think the Amex Platinum 50k offer is only available with a referral from current card holders. I could be wrong on this, but a quick search couldn't find any links for that offer publicly. If you decide you want the Platinum Card, I would be happy to refer you, but would need to do it before 2/13. For full disclosure, I would get 10k membership rewards points if you are approved, but my wife and I both carry this card and have been very happy with the benefits.

tondoleo likes this.
  6. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    AmEx Plat charge card pays the Global Entry application fee for you, $100 otherwise. It also has good airport lounge benefits.

tondoleo likes this.
  7. stan
    Original Member

stan Silver Member

Status Points:
  8. stan
    Original Member

stan Silver Member

Status Points:
    tondoleo and TheTravelAbstract like this.
  9. ilovskins12

ilovskins12 Active Member

Status Points:
    Thanks a Lot. Any reccommendations on the Best One Time purchase Card Options to get the bonus?

tondoleo and deant like this.
  10. deant
    Original Member

deant Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    There is the US Airways card from Barclay. Nice thing about this card is they pull Trans Union and the card can be churned every 4-5 months. Unfortunately it does not waive the first year fees but that is minor compared to the 40K in miles that you get.

tondoleo likes this.
  11. tondoleo
    Original Member

tondoleo Gold Member

Status Points:
    deant are you sure about the fee waiver. I recently obtained this card for the first time after reading miles and smiles positive evaluation. I did not get charged a fee for the card. Here is the link I used. I was sent there via Gleff's blog.

http://mostmiles.com/chairmans

edit: Please be sure to carefully read all t&c's for the card to insure that you will not be charged the fee for the first year.

12. Jeff the Wanderer

Status Points:
    I believe the annual fee depends on which version of the card you are approved for. If they don't approve you for the highest offer, they will automatically approve you for a lower one. You might want to call and check to see what bonus you are qualified for. This happened a couple years ago for my wife. She was approved, but got the most basic card and it had no annual fee and only a 5k bonus instead of the 35k that was offered at the time for the card with the annual fee. I'm not sure what the bonuses are on the other versions of the card now.

tondoleo likes this.
  13. tondoleo
    Original Member

tondoleo Gold Member

Status Points:
    Thank you for pointing that out JTW. I received the max bonus. I did not get charged any fee.

Jeff the Wanderer likes this.
  14. Jeff the Wanderer

Status Points:
    Interesting. I just got approved for a second one of these in my churn last week. Maybe I will get the bonus without a fee too. That would be a lovely surprise.

15. TheTravelAbstract

TheTravelAbstract Silver Member

Status Points:
    Only problem is that OP asked for no foreign transaction fees. This card would kill him with the 3% surcharge every time the OP goes to buy something.

For the OP I would not recommend the Barclay's US Airways card.

For others it is a good change of speed. I applied and got it back in January. Simple application simple miles and authentic churn-ability!

16. deant
    Original Member

deant Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    The thing about the Barclay's US Airways card is that you get the bonus after first purchase. Make a $5 purchase and then put the card away.

17. deant
    Original Member

deant Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    You are correct about the fee waiver. I was confused between the US Airways card and the BofA cards.

18. stan
    Original Member

stan Silver Member

Status Points:
    co biz card 25k
    marriott 70k-------------and others --

like i said READ BLOGS & LEARN

it is now time for u to do some work on getting c.c by urself -- sorry i do not mind helping -but can not expect us to do ur work --sorry to be so blunt

19. Extra Pack of Peanuts

Extra Pack of Peanuts Silver Member

Status Points:
    ilovskins12, I'm in the exact same situation as you. I currently live abroad as well so meeting the minimum spend requirement on a card with a foreign exchange can cost some money. Here is what I would recommend:

1. Use your Chase Sapphire for all your everyday spend. There is no forex fee and these can be converted to tons of options (Hyatt, United, etc.)

2. Look for card with no forex fee attached to them. Like you said, it is slim pickings for you since you can't get Chase right now. I got the Citi Thank You Premier when it was 50k but it has now dropped to 30k. You could consider it but 30k is kind of low.

3. Look for cards with no minimum spend requirement. I'd definitely recommend the Barclays USAir 40k card and you could also consider the Hawaiian Airlines cards. They have a $79 fee each and $1,000 spend each, which would cost you $30 in forex fees. You would be paying $109 for the cards and they can convert to 70,000 Hilton points each. If you make good use of the Hilton points, they would be worth it.

I just wrote a blog post about my upcoming app-o-rama which takes in to consideration alot of the same things you are dealing with (although I can get a Chase card this time). Feel free to check it out if you like, I break stuff down in a little more detail.

Global Explat likes this.