Help with Itinerary for September 2012

Discussion in 'Thailand' started by Crystal Delgado, Mar 20, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. Crystal Delgado

Crystal Delgado Active Member

Status Points:
    Hello,

I have enjoyed reading many of the posts in this forum. My boyfriend and I are traveling to SE Asia in September and will be flying into BKK and out 11 days later. We want to see Angkor Wat, an elephant sanctuary in Thailand, and a beach area.

I was originally thinking of 3 days in BKK, 4 days in Chiang Mai, and 4 days in Siem Reap. My boyfriend wants to go to a beach area, can we cut Siem Reap and Chiang Mai to 3 days each? Or is there an elephant sanctuary somewhere else in Thailand we can go instead of Chiang Mai? Is Koh Samui the best beach area in September or is there somewhere else we should be considering?

We are very open to suggestions, and admittedly I have not done as much research as I should. I have the new Frommer's guide pre-ordered, but it will not arrive for another month.

Thank you in advance for any suggestions!

Kalboz and Sweet Willie like this.
  2. Kalboz
    Original Member

Kalboz Gold Member

Status Points:
    I am of the opinion to spend as much time in Bangkok to absorb this marvelous metropolis, others might disagree with me. However, if you go to Chiang Mai, try Khun Lek's Elephant Nature Park which provides a sanctuary and rescue center for elephants.

3. ShrinkTheGlobe

ShrinkTheGlobe Silver Member

Status Points:
    You can do the elephant sanctuary in Chiang Mai or Lampang. Either way, you'll have to fly from BKK since you're short on time.

Right now this is how you have your days allocated:
    Bangkok - 3 days
    Chiang Mai - 4 days
    Siem Reap - 4 days

You want to change it to this:
    Bangkok - 3 days
    Chiang Mai - 3 days
    Siem Reap - 3 days
    beach - 2 days

I think your revised itinerary is doable but it will be pretty rushed. The most popular elephant conservatory trip is a 3 day trip but you can do a 1 or 2 day visit. I would allot a 3 full days for Siem Reap. Some people get "templed out" but I really enjoyed it.

As for the beach, it depends on what kind of beach atmosphere you like. Chaweng beach in Koh Samui is pretty developed and might not even realize you're in Thailand. If you want to do the full moon party thing or sit on the beach and drink out of a bucket, you can go to Koh Phangan. Since you probably want to maximize your beach time, it looks like Koh Samui is your best bet since you can fly directly there from BKK. You might be considering Phuket also but the weather may be better in Koh Samui in September.

Kalboz likes this.
  4. Kalboz
    Original Member

Kalboz Gold Member

Status Points:
    Agreed with ShrinkTheGlobe ... you have a total of 11 days and every time you travel within Thailand, you are wasting a valuable day (3-4 days according to above plans). You don't want to spend your vacation time packing, checking out, traveling, checking in, unpacking, etc. But then again it's your time ... On this trip, I'd do Bangkok and one other location due to time restraints.

Do join the discussions and read up the forums on MilePoint and elsewhere to get acquainted on how to travel in luxury with a small budget ... and then you can revisit Thailand & SE Asia many times over to see the different cities/beaches :)

5. Crystal Delgado

Status Points:
    The more and more I think about it, you are right. I don't want to spend all the time traveling, I will cut out Chiang Mai. Thank you very much for your insight :).

Do you think 4 days in BKK, 4 days in Siem Reap, and 3 days at a beach area is good? If I skip the beach, I don;t think I would want to do more than 4 days in Siem Reap, wouldn't a week in BKK be overkill?

Kalboz likes this.
  6. Kalboz
    Original Member

Kalboz Gold Member

Status Points:
    Despite of the oppressive heat, a week in Bangkok during September is never an overkill. On our last trip, we spent a total of 22 nights in Bangkok and we still have not seen everything in Bangkok after all those years. Further, even though all the islands/beaches retain their own unique character and personality, however, IMO, if you see one you’ve seen them all. I didn’t go to Phuket/islands until my third visit to Thailand and Chiang Mai/north until my fourth. I agree with the saying that goes ... "Thailand is amazing" but Bangkok is its jewel. I don’t know about your hometown but probably you’re sick and tired of big cities … let me assure you; Bangkok is different in a surprisingly pleasant way especially for a first time visitor.
    Here is a thread with essential things to do in Bangkok for a week:http://milepoint.com/forums/threads/six-nights-in-bangkok.4768/#post-184791
    [​IMG]

7. ShrinkTheGlobe

ShrinkTheGlobe Silver Member

Status Points:
    I think with the amount of time you have, that's a good distribution. Really, it all depends on what you and your boyfriend want to do.

I know everyone's not that interested in ruins & temples so if that sounds like you and you rather spend more time at the beach, you can cut Siem Reap to 3 days. I really like ruins & temples so, for me, I would do 4 days in Siem Reap (3 full days).

If you really want to see elephants, I'm willing to bet that at any beach location you go to, someone there will offer maybe like a 1 day trip to visit some elephants. It may not be the same as an elephant sanctuary but you will get close to elephants.

Do you have an idea of which beach you'd like to visit?

I like to use wikitravel.org for travel planning. You can try looking at that before your Frommers book arrives.

Kalboz likes this.
  8. jazzalbart

jazzalbart Member

Status Points:
    I would suggest you the Ocean Isle Beach. It is very family friendly, non-commercial, etc. but I don't know that you want to drive that far. It’s a beautiful beach with peaceful environment. You can see the natural beauty of earth there. And for another option you can visit many websites that have all the news regarding it.

Kalboz likes this.
  9. Kalboz
    Original Member

Kalboz Gold Member

Status Points:
    Welcome to Milepoint jazzalbart! :)

10. Crystal Delgado

Status Points:
    I think I have my final itinerary for Thailand. Please let me know what you think.

September 7 Arrive on my international flight from Hong Kong
    September 8 Fly to Chiang Mai ( I want a day buffer in case there are any kinks with my incoming flight) on the 12:10 pm flight
    September 11 Fly to Siem Reap on the 2:10 flight
    September 14 Fly to Bangkok on the 1:20 or 8:30 flight
    September 18 Fly to Japan

Kalboz likes this.