Help with hotels in Italy

Discussion in 'Europe' started by dberko2005, Feb 26, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. booked a trip for me and my girlfriend to go to Italy at the end of May. Rome (may) 27-31Florence 31-4 Venice 4-6 Milan 6-7 Madrid 7-9

Flights were on AA 20,000 each way so 80,000 total ( but used my home city (miami) as a stopover to hawaii...so for the same 80,000 we have 2 free tickets later in the year to hawaii (1 leg taken care of)
    mia-nyc-fco/ madrid-mia-hnl Pretty happy about that redemption!! (first time booking an award ticket...how'd i do?)

I've been looking at hotels to book but im finding that I can't find very much with Hyatt (only milan) Starwood (florence, rome, venice) nothing under 20,000 points a night. Hilton ( Venice) over 200k a night.I realize its high season so I expect the top hotels to be pricey...I would only stay in a top rated hotel on points but the redemptions don't seem that good to me and there were no lower category hotels I could find to use points with

Does anyone know if any GOOD budget hotels B&B's, Hostels in any of the cities mentioned. I would ideally like to spend around $100 or less a night on a room.

Any advice would be appreciated,,,,Thanks!

Sweet Willie and Gargoyle like this.
  2. Pizzaman
    Original Member

Pizzaman Co-founder

Status Points:
    Do you have SPG points? No doubt the SPG properties in Italy are pricey, but they're worth it.

My favorites are:

Danieli in Venice
    Westin Excelsior in Florence
    St. Regis in Rome

That being said, IIRC, there is still a Westin in Venice that's a Cat 5 (12K a night?).

CharlesG likes this.
  3. Sweet Willie
    Original Member

Sweet Willie Gold Member

Status Points:
    Rome independent hotel suggestion:

we really enjoyed the Cesàri Hotel which is within walking distance to a number of sites, great location (as well as a good breakfast spread)
    www.albergocesari.it/inglese/hotel.htm

here is a review of our stay:
    just as a follow up, we recently stayed at the Hotel Cesari. I'd call it a solid 3 star hotel.

To give a point of reference it is 20 meters (60') from the Temple of Hadrian / Piazza di Pietra : http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Temple_of_Hadrian

We found the location great. We walked all over (to the Coliseum and Forum, Pantheon, Spanish Steps, Trevi Fountain, as well as back from the Vatican.)

Breakfast was included as was a very good spread.

We really liked the rooftop bar which has a decent amount of outdoors area. The bartender is a really congenial guy and is glad to make reservations for you at restaurants or answer questions (as were all the front desk staff).

I know there were cheaper options but the hotel will offer car service for 55€, Mrs Sweet Willie & I caught different flights and for both of us they were prompt with sign waiting to pick us up.

Room was decent sized, shower was VERY small. Rooms facing the rear of the hotel have more noise as there is a scooter parking area directly behind the property.

I would not hesitate to stay again at this property.

edited to add: just checked your dates & this hotel is above your desired rate, sorry.

Gargoyle and CharlesG like this.
  4. LarryInNYC

LarryInNYC Gold Member

Status Points:
    A few thoughts:

Nice time of year. I spend two weeks starting Memorial Day weekend in Italy (Liguria) each year. Be prepared for some rain.

Personally, I think you have your number of nights for Florence and Venice reversed. Two nights should be plenty for Florence, and make sure you book your museum tickets in advance on the internet. Spend the extra nights in Venice.

$100 per night for two is a pretty low budget for the big cities of Italy.

It's a little hard to know what you mean by GOOD, so I'm not sure people are going to feel comfortable recommending places that inexpensive for fear that they won't meet your standards. To get close to $100 per night you're going to have to make some compromises that many people here would not, I think, consider acceptable (not me though, I'm cheaper than a dollar slice of pizza).

I was in Rome last year around the same time and stayed at the Rex for $130 for a single, and that was quite a bargain. It's pricing out at around $200 per night for a double during your stay. For comparison purposes, I did a quick check at HostelWorld and the hostels there are showing about $150 per night for two in a private w/ private bath. A private room with shared facilities is about $100 and even if you stay in dorms you're looking at $35 per night per person.

In Venice, you'll be able to meet your budget if you stay in Mestre (outside of Venice proper) and commute in — which I highly discourage. There are some one star hotels around the train station which might come close to your budget but I doubt they'll meet your "good" standard. If you stay out on the Lido you will probably be able to find something for under $150 a night. You can also look at renting an apartment (which is what I intend to do when next in Venice) if you're there long enough to meet the minimum number of nights.

5. techguru
    Original Member

techguru Silver Member

Status Points:
    In Rome this hotel is within your budget about 100 usd, and really quite nice with AC, free Internet, free breakfast, and really kind staff. Also like 2 blocks from termini station, but still quite safe.

http://www.hoteldiocleziano.it/

6. Sweet Willie
    Original Member

Sweet Willie Gold Member

Status Points:
    (bolding mine) I fully agree, a big no to any type of commute into Venice on a daily basis. Hotels.com had a number of Venice (non-Mestre) properties under $150, for the OP's dates.

CharlesG likes this.