Help with hotels in Italy.

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Travel' started by dberko2005, Feb 26, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. I booked a trip for me and my girlfriend to go to Italy at the end of May. Rome (may) 27-31Florence 31-4 Venice 4-6 Milan 6-7 Madrid 7-9

Flights were on AA 20,000 each way so 80,000 total ( but used my home city (miami) as a stopover to hawaii...so for the same 80,000 we have 2 free tickets later in the year to hawaii (1 leg taken care of)
    mia-nyc-fco/ madrid-mia-hnl Pretty happy about that redemption!! (first time booking an award ticket...how'd i do?)

I've been looking at hotels to book but im finding that I can't find very much with Hyatt (only milan) Starwood (florence, rome, venice) nothing under 20,000 points a night. Hilton ( Venice) over 200k a night.I realize its high season so I expect the top hotels to be pricey...I would only stay in a top rated hotel on points but the redemptions don't seem that good to me and there were no lower category hotels I could find to use points with

Does anyone know if any GOOD budget hotels B&B's, Hostels in any of the cities mentioned. I would ideally like to spend around $100 or less a night on a room.

Any advice would be appreciated,,,,Thanks!

traveler likes this.
  2. traveler
    Original Member

traveler Gold Member

Status Points:
    Rome and Venice can be pricey. We are staying in an apartment in the center of Rome this May for 100€ a night https://www.sleepinitaly.com/appartam.php?id_appartam=48 with our final night in Rome at the Hilton Rome Airport hotel with a cash and money award (20,000 Points+52.54 EUR) . We are staying in Madrid for three nights at the AC Hotel Recoletos using 75K Marriott points (25K a night)

3. Thanks....gonna check the site out...what do they mean when they ask a. single b. double c triple d quadruple....what are they referring to?

4. traveler
    Original Member

traveler Gold Member

Status Points:
    Look at Apartments not B&B's, Is this your first time in Rome?

5. yes it is..why do you suggest an apartment over B&B

6. traveler
    Original Member

traveler Gold Member

Status Points:
    Lots more choices with apartments. Have you been to Europe or Italy? For me location is very important for a short stay in Rome!

7. Gotcha.....as someone who's been there before...what would you say is the best area to stay in..

traveler likes this.
  8. MLW20
    Original Member

MLW20 Gold Member

Status Points:

I was in Italy a little over a year ago. We were very happy with all of the places we stayed. Just to let you know in advance, we almost always stay in hostels, guesthouses or use priceline.

Venice- San Lio Tourist House- we booked through Hostelworld.
    Florence- Hotel Montreal- booked on their site. About 5 minutes from the main train station, 5-10 min walk to the Duomo.
    Rome- Katty- small guesthouse in a building that had a few different ones. About a 5 minute walk from Termini Station. We booked through Expedia.

KathInJax likes this.
  9. traveler
    Original Member

traveler Gold Member

Status Points:
    For me- in the central historic area but two or more streets away from a main tourist attraction. Anywhere in the greater Piazza Navona-Pantheon-Campo dei Fiori areas.

KathInJax, rwoman and traveltoomuch like this.
  10. traveltoomuch

traveltoomuch Silver Member

Status Points:
    Traveler's advice about areas in Rome is sound. If you're willing to be further out, consider the Hotel San Francesco in the Trastevere neighborhood -- mid-range for Rome, expensive by any other standard. While Trastevere is a calmer residential neighborhood (fewer tourists!), I was surprised by how alive the streets still were at 10pm. Avoid hotels around the Termini train station. If you want to splurge, I've heard great things about the Cavalieri Waldorf Astoria, formerly a Hilton. And if you're on a budget, I'd consider Priceline, though don't have high hopes. The last time I went to Rome was in 2009. That year hotel rates were relatively soft and I had been using Priceline with great success in many places. Rome was not one of them. Priceline gave me the 4* Atlante Garden near Vatican City for US$95 (plus fees). The Central Rome zone was running ~$150 for 4* and ~$250 for 5*.

Venice I'd consider skipping entirely. I found it to be very depressing -- there are very few locals left, the tourism industry is the only game in town, they milk tourists for every cent, and the town itself is falling apart. I think the stupidly high cost of the public transportation was also a turn off: 6.5EUR for a single ride, 33EUR for a 72 hour pass. Locals, of course, pay a more sane 1.3EUR or so per ride. Even in slower seasons, hotel keepers are firm on their rates. Priceline there was useless.

KathInJax and traveler like this.
  11. traveler
    Original Member

traveler Gold Member

Status Points:
    To bad about Venice, I've read about the total tourist gouge now, I really loved the place 15 years ago and still liked it 10 years ago!

KathInJax likes this.
  12. traveler
    Original Member

traveler Gold Member

Status Points:
    By the way, Welcome to Milepoint!
    The reason I asked about whether you have been to Europe is to get an idea of your expectations regarding normal European lodging. Any hint on your travel style, budget, expectations will help with recommendations from people here and at other travel sites.

KathInJax likes this.
  13. rwoman
    Original Member

rwoman Gold Member

Status Points:

Welcome to MP! If you end up looking at bidding/Hotwire type deals, I suggest taking a look at betterbidding.com's thoughts on doing so in Rome.

:)

KathInJax likes this.
  14. LarryInNYC

LarryInNYC Gold Member

Status Points:
    Venice has been the same way for several hundred years. It did not change noticeably between my visits in 1984 and 2007. Heavily touristed it indeed is — and for good reason. A very, very special place.

KathInJax and traveler like this.
  15. traveler
    Original Member

traveler Gold Member

Status Points:

I haven't been to Venice in about 9 years, I was just saddened by the comments "I think the stupidly high cost of the public transportation was also a turn off: 6.5EUR for a single ride, 33EUR for a 72 hour pass.""they milk tourists for every cent," I have noticed that the problem with graffiti that was almost non existent the first time I visited- The Venetians were very proud of their city and would not allow anyone to deface or cast shame to it- is now as bad as elsewhere. Also the Gondoliers were honest hard working and gave good value "tours' -on my last visit (6 days) I noticed a real decay with the sincerity they showed to tourists. BUT I STILL LOVE VENICE, IT HAS TO BE ONE OF THE MOST MAGICAL PLACES ON EARTH. I am however fearful to return as I don't want to ruin my wonderful memories.

KathInJax likes this.
  16. desamo

desamo Gold Member

Status Points:
    Completely agree that Venice is one of the magical places. I stayed at the Boscolo Bellini, which is close to the train station (in Venice, not Mestre, though):

http://www.b4hotels.com/

I booked into the lowest category for Christmas, but they upgraded me one category as I was a repeat client.

If you really want to save more money, stay right by the train station on the Mestre side: http://www.hotelplazavenice.com/

It's not as magical, but it was nice logistics-wise for my final night.

traveler and KathInJax like this.
  17. KathInJax

KathInJax Silver Member

Status Points:
    We stayed at the Locanda Silva in Venice in 2008. It is fairly close to St. Mark's Square. If you are ok with a shared bath it looks to be 85 euros/night when you are there.

In Rome, we stayed at the Hotel Smeraldo in 2003 and in apartment with Rome Sweet Home in 2008. I agree that the best area to stay in is the Campo de' Fiori/Piazza Navona/Pantheon area.

In Florence, we stayed at Hotel Maxim, which was very close to the Duomo (2 blocks), the Disney Store & Bata Shoes. For the dates that you will be there, it looks like it is around 100 euros.

In Milan, we stayed at the Best Western Hotel City in 2000 - it is located right next to a subway stop. It looks to about 125 euros the nights that you will be there.

18. sharris503

sharris503 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Go buy Rick Steve's Italy it is a great guide book. It is worth its weight in gold and I can vouch for many of the hotel suggestions, I have stayed in a few places mentioned in the book and all are great. He focuses more on B&B's and small family run hotels.

19. LarryInNYC

LarryInNYC Gold Member

Status Points:
    Cut and pasted from another identical thread in Europe:

Nice time of year. I spend two weeks starting Memorial Day weekend in Italy (Liguria) each year. Be prepared for some rain.

Personally, I think you have your number of nights for Florence and Venice reversed. Two nights should be plenty for Florence (not a particularly attractive or special city), and make sure you book your museum tickets in advance on the internet. Spend the extra nights in Venice.

$100 per night for two is a pretty low budget for the big cities of Italy.

It's a little hard to know what you mean by GOOD, so I'm not sure people are going to feel comfortable recommending places that inexpensive for fear that they won't meet your standards. To get close to $100 per night you're going to have to make some compromises that many people here would not, I think, consider acceptable (not me though, I'm cheaper than a dollar slice of pizza).

I was in Rome last year around the same time and stayed at the Rex for $130 for a single, and that was quite a bargain. It's pricing out at around $200 per night for a double during your stay. For comparison purposes, I did a quick check at HostelWorld and the hostels there are showing about $150 per night for two in a private room w/ private bath. A private room with shared facilities is about $100 and even if you stay in dorms you're looking at $35 per night per person.

In Venice, you'll be able to meet your budget if you stay in Mestre (outside of Venice proper) and commute in — which I highly discourage. There are some one star hotels around the train station which might come close to your budget but I doubt they'll meet your "good" standard. If you stay out on the Lido you will probably be able to find something for under $150 a night. You can also look at renting an apartment (which is what I intend to do when next in Venice) if you're there long enough to meet the minimum number of nights.

20. LarryInNYC

LarryInNYC Gold Member

Status Points:
    A fantastic bargain. How was the hotel?

21. LarryInNYC

LarryInNYC Gold Member

Status Points:
    Trastevere is a fun neighborhood, but lightly touristed it is not. It's basically the Greenwich Village of Rome.

For what it's worth, I had a pleasant (and good value) stay at the Hotel Rex a few blocks from the station last year. Walked to the Colosseum, the Forum, and Trastevere (a nice stretch), bused back. The next day I walked to Piazza Navona, the Pantheon, and the Trevi Fountain and back before hopping the train to FCO. Hotel staff were extremely friendly and helpful, a decent breakfast was included, the price was good, and the location convenient considering I was arriving and departing by train.

KathInJax likes this.
  22. kerr241

kerr241 Member

Status Points:
    I have spent several weeks in Venice over the past few years, there is no other place like Venice on earth. It has changed over the last 25 years but only for the better.

KathInJax and LarryInNYC like this.
  23. KathInJax

KathInJax Silver Member

Status Points:
    It was a good location and the room was fine - very basic but clean. No elevator, so you carry your bags up. It is down a small canal and you definitely need a map to get there initially. The reviews on Trip Adviser seem to be on target with this hotel.

24. pig

pig Silver Member

Status Points:
    Venice can be a bit damp, got moss growing all over me.