Help with flights and points needed WAS to Asia

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Miles/Points' started by loungelizard, May 25, 2013.  |  Print Topic

1. loungelizard

loungelizard Active Member

Status Points:
    After reading so much for a year, I am still a bit lost. We will be taking a trip from WAS (closest to BWI although IAD generally has more options) to BKK for a few days and then on to DPS. Coming home will be SIN to WAS. I have a lot of time to collect more points since we aren't traveling until Jan. 2015.

What airlines would you choose for (at least) business class award tickets and which search site should I use. I do have a subscription to Expertflyer that I can utilize too. I really appreciate any help offered!

Thanks...

2. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    What are your starting balances?

3. loungelizard

Status Points:
    I have over 225,000 in AMEX MR points, 200,000 UR points, 100,000 United points, 100,000 or so AA points, 52000 BA points (which hopefully will go up another 50000 this year).

As mentioned, I do have a business and can charge our CC's accordingly.

4. TravelBear

TravelBear Gold Member

Status Points:
    Nice stash of points! Good on you for thinking ahead of time too! I found this blog post you may find helpful. Also, you may want to consider using one of the booking services as they will be able to find you an itinerary more easily, unless you just want the challenge. Just from what I gleaned from the blog I would be inclined to shoot for being able to use Singapore Airlines because I would love to fly them some day. This blogger also talks a bit about Singapore Airlines here. More info to read! Yaaay!

iolaire likes this.
  5. olmangsr

olmangsr Silver Member

Status Points:
    The easiest way is using your UR points.transferring 180k to united for a total of 280k UA miles.you can get 2 round trip tickets in F.You can either do Thai via FRA or OZ via ICN...obviously you can do a BKK stopover in both cases

As TravelBear mentioned you can almost fly SQ.true they're amazing but why would you fly biz and pay fuel surcharges if you have better options out there?;)

TravelBear and iolaire like this.
  6. iolaire
    Original Member

iolaire Gold Member

Status Points:
    My one piece of advice is to not route via the west coast. Domestic premium cabins are nice, not not comparable to international first, so if you have any choice route via Europe so your departure and return flights are international first out of WAS, or worst case a few hour connection via ORD or NYC.

Also book flights that don't depart late in the evening if you want to enjoy the full first class service. I've found my self burned out and full of lounge food and drink on my 10 PM+ flights, but if you just want to sleep that is ok.

Personally if you go the UA points route I'd do Thia Arways from BKK for the nice lounge/spa experance.

TravelBear likes this.
  7. iolaire
    Original Member

iolaire Gold Member

Status Points:
    Also you look to be points wealthy, so consider doing a few one way awards for more points. I.e. maybe Singapore for some shorter Asian hops, and you could do CX on the outbound via ORD or NYC on you AA points... Ect...

TravelBear likes this.
  8. geofflw

geofflw Member

Status Points:
    My wife and I used UA miles to BKK and return earlier this year. Philly to Frankfurt and then Thai to BKK.
    Thai F class on the new A380 was outstanding. We traveled a lot within South east Asia using local airlines, Air Asia and Bangkok Airline.
    The local flights are cheap, and then we saved air miles for future painful long haul flights.
    The UA site is so user friendly so will continue to use them. Also have lots of BA and Delta miles but too painful to use, so these are our last resort.

iolaire likes this.
  9. olmangsr

olmangsr Silver Member

Status Points:
    since you have more than enough mileage plus miles(and you're only going to BKK and DPS) I wouldn't recommend on doing one ways with different programs...
    United is incredibly generous with stopovers,open-jaws so why not take advantage of it!?
    Since you're not going to HKG don't bother with SQ cause thats the only intra-asia a380 route where you can try the Suites.
    just save them for a next trip where you could fly CX F and come back in SQ C for example... ;)

iolaire likes this.
  10. loungelizard

Status Points:
    Thanks everyone! I will start looking at these options. In my preliminary search I wasn't allowed to get iad - bkk - dps on UA. Something about an illegal booking. Would that be because I was stopping in bkk for a few days? Is it legal if I look by segment and call it in?

11. loungelizard

Status Points:
    Just want to clarify my previous search - I was trying to search for the whole route:
    IAD - BKK (stopover) - DPS and then home SIN - IAD. I could get the first part to show flights but not the whole open jaw with stopover route.

12. loungelizard

Status Points:
    Bumping this up to see if anyone can answer this issue...

With United is this a bookable award: Roundtrip - IAD - BKK(stopver) - DPS and then home from SIN to IAD. United's site doesn't like it. I did find nice flights via FRA but, again, it doesn't like the roundtrip...

Thanks!

13. edekba

edekba Gold Member

Status Points:
  14. loungelizard

Status Points:
    That's just about the routing I was looking at and it works when I do one way searching but won't let me make a round trip. Is this normal and does it need to be called in? If so, would the agents disallow it if the computer doesn't accept it?

15. edekba

edekba Gold Member

Status Points:

I booked an ORD - BRU - SIN - NRT - BRU online; then called in to change it to LAX - ORD - BRU - VIE // CDG - BKK - SIN - ICN - LAX w/o a problem (sans the change fee.) In hindsight I should've held the ticket and called in to book and paid $25 instead of the $75 change fee but its water under the bridge.

I just tried your trip & it works online. 65k & $110.50 for Economy.
    9/22 IAD - PEK - BKK
    9/26 BKK - DPS
    9/30 SIN - HND - IAD

another option ... book IAD - DPS // SIN - IAD. Choose a route that goes through BKK then call in and modify that you want BKK as a stopover.