help with extra fees incurred

Discussion in 'US Airways | Dividend Miles' started by d0nk, Mar 31, 2014.  |  Print Topic

1. d0nk

d0nk Active Member

Status Points:
    hi guys a longer post but wanted to see if any options were available

i originally had a flight via us airways 3/13/14 and 3/15/14, the round trip was booked on two tickets due to dates being unsure. when i arrived at the gate on 3/13, i was informed that due to mechanical issues, flight is delayed and that i would miss my connector to the final destination. due to time sensitive meeting, we cancelled the meeting for future reschedule.

the gate attendant informed me that due to mechanical issues a full refund would be issued and cancelled my 3/13 flight, however she cancelled the wrong return flight. my flight for 6/7/14 was cancelled instead of 3/15/14 (same exact flight, different dates). came back home, noticed this error and called us airways reservations immediately, rep were able to cancel the correct flight (3/15/14) but stated that my original flight 6/7/14 was full, put in a request in their inventory and i was told to call back in a couple days.

called back, new rep states original flight still full but she has a similar flight, only change was my connector (original flight was connecting in PHL, new one was connecting in CLT). i agreed and she rebooked at no charge. i was reviewing the new flight and noticed the rep booked for one day later 6/8 instead of 6/7. i called back to get this corrected and now the reservations supervisor states i have to pay 90 dollars for the change. she states i shouldve been paying for all these changes and they are being nice.

i tried to explain how my flight was accidentally cancelled and i was trying to get my original flight back, supervisor kept stating i have to pay, this went back/forth for 20min, i got frustated and ended up paying 90 for the change fee and filed a complaint via the email contact on usairways. complaint dept replied back stating same thing, i still have to pay 90 for the change fee. im still confused in regards to why i have to pay more in order to fix an issue that was created by them. if anyone knows any other ways to contact us airways or if im outta of luck. thank you

2. traveltoomuch

traveltoomuch Silver Member

Status Points:
    Obvious options include a DOT complaint, a credit card dispute, or USAir executive appeals. It sounds like you're in the right, but getting USAir to do something useful may be tough. A DOT complaint will likely be handled within USAir by the executive appeals folks, so I'd consider that route.

http://www.dot.gov/airconsumer/file-consumer-complaint

WilliamQ and foxberg like this.
  3. d0nk

d0nk Active Member

Status Points:
    great thanks, ill fill one out with them, how long does the DOT route usually take? i was thinking a CC dispute but unsure if that would count because i am still planning to fly the ticket?

4. traveltoomuch

Status Points:
    DOT: perhaps one month until you first hear back from USAir? Timing can vary a bit. I would certainly expect contact within two months, but likely not within one week.

If you're thinking of a CC dispute, I would hold off until after you fly the ticket. And, if you haven't gotten your refund by then through some other mechanism, I would initiate a CC dispute the day after the flight (or, knowing me, from the airplane after boarding for the final segment).

WilliamQ likes this.
  5. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    Don't credit card disputes have to be initiated within 60 days of the charge appearing on a bill? However, if you file a dispute now with your credit card, the airline will probably cancel the ticket.

WilliamQ likes this.
  6. traveltoomuch

Status Points:
    I think "billing disputes" have to be raised in that timeframe, but "quality of goods and services" complaints have a longer window. If you happened to use an Amex, they definitely allow more flexibility. I concur re: the risk of USAir cancelling the whole ticket, which is why I urge holding off until you've flown it.

Here's some more information on disputes:
    http://www.consumer.ftc.gov/articles/0219-disputing-credit-card-charges

Last edited: Apr 1, 2014