Help with Disney World and Legoland trip

Discussion in 'Other U.S. Destinations' started by cylslma, Jan 19, 2013.  |  Print Topic

1. cylslma

cylslma Active Member

Status Points:
    Expecting to have companion pass with SW early February so planning a trip to Disney World and Legoland in March. Family of Four. Was able to book three nights at Dophin/swann and three nights at Holiday inn close to Legoland, both with points. Any suggestions on tickets, dining (kids 2 and 5 interested in character dining), transportation to hotel/park/between hotels/back to airport? May get a rental car for convenience. I have points with most hotel reward programs so not sure if Dophin/swan/holiday Inn are the best options.

Any suggestions?

Kalboz likes this.
  2. bigx0

bigx0 Gold Member

Status Points:
    The options at Walt Disney World are absolutely mind numbing and situations differ from person to person so it's very hard to give blanket advice. In short, there are a lot of Disney owned hotels at WDW and there are certain advantages to staying at a Disney owned hotel. But there's one big disadvantage: none of them are part of any hotel rewards program.

If rewards programs are a must then the Swan and/or Dolphin are good choices. They are nice hotels and though they cater to conventioneers they are reasonably kid-friendly though certainly not as much as the Disney owned ones. And they are in a very good location. The Holiday Inn is more kid oriented and has a greater availability of somewhat larger rooms. That and the nearby Hilton are reasonable choices for on-property hotels which participate is frequent stayer programs. There is no on-property Marriott.

That said, many people find staying at a Disney owned hotel to be a superior experience. For example, transfers to and from the airport are free. You check your bags at your departure airport, take a Disney bus from the Orlando airport (MCO only, not SFB) and your bags are delivered right to your room (eventually). And transportation from Disney hotels to the theme parks is included and rather frequent. (Less of an issue with Swan/Dolphin since you can walk to 2 of the parks from there and catch Disney's transportation to the others without too much trouble. That's not quite the case with Holiday Inn or Hilton.) And simply put, Disney hotels are great for kids!

Anyhow, if money wasn't a big issue I'd probably say with the kids at the Disney's Polynesian resort. But if I knew you better I might very well suggest something different. Really, there are so many options and different takes on this that entire websites are devoted to it and it's still hard to decide. One particularly helpful site is http://allears.net/index.html

Character dining is everywhere. Would need to know price range, travel dates and likes to suggest something.

Finally, if rewards points are a must, also consider staying off-site. There are many close-by properties which are decent and less expensive. I'd suggest a car though, even with WDWs $15/day parking charge (waived if you stay at a Disney hotel).

Pizzaman and Kalboz like this.
  3. Kalboz
    Original Member

Kalboz Gold Member

Status Points:
    ContinentalFan likes this.
  4. philatravelgirl

philatravelgirl Silver Member

Status Points:
    I always stay in the park hotels to use the transit options and ease to take a break during the day as kids will want to nap or need a break. Decide which park is most important and stay nearby. If I remember correctly swan/dolphin are on bus route but require changes to second bus

I've found it easier to book with Disney and get the airport shuttle as well as dining package which is often "free" depending on time of year and package. With smaller kids, the Wilderness Lodge is good as you can take boat to Disney World and take breaks easily plus they have family room with bunk beds which are fun or you can get a villa w/more room and kitchen

character dining - I think Chef Mickey's for breakfast is great deal and kids like the Mickey waffles with add your own extras. You get to see the classic characters here.

You don't say if you need princesses or not - the Princess lunch in Cinderella castle is expensive and might be lost on the two year old but done well and we enjoyed it

Dinner - book at animal kingdom lodge - you can see the giraffes before dinner and they have nice selection of foods for all

parades - the toy story parade in Disney studios is fun for kids and the nightly fireworks at Epcot we enjoyed

There is a Disney family site (Disney moms panel) that is very helpful too

Also get the app for wait times it's fantastic!

Pizzaman, ContinentalFan and Kalboz like this.
  5. Abraham12li

Abraham12li New Member

Status Points:
    Expecting to have companion pass with SW early February so planning a trip to Disney World and Legoland in March.

Kalboz and ContinentalFan like this.
  6. adamefimoff2

adamefimoff2 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Four Seasons! Just went might as well be the best hotel in USA. The pool and spa was amazing. I found Disney World good for everyone

7. adamefimoff2

adamefimoff2 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Do not forget that Disney does high end and causal dining as well. They have an amazing dining in Jiko and Victoria and Alberts

8. Pizzaman
    Original Member

Pizzaman Co-founder

Status Points:
    You should be able to find "2 for 1" deals on Legoland tickets if you Google. They frequently discount. It's just shy of an hour to drive between Disney and Legoland. There are shuttle services but rental cars are so cheap I'd go that route.
    Also, the Legoland hotel is spectacular for kids. Consider spending just one night. You get early access to the park and a ton of extras.

9. BuddyFunJet

BuddyFunJet Member

Status Points:
    Another vote for LegoLand hotel. Our grandkids are 6 and 9. They are going back for their third yearly trip. At the hotel, the rate includes breakfast but also think about their buffet for dinner. Along with the kid friendly stuff, they also have good adult food. While not fine dining, I look forward to dinner. They actually have vegetables not drowning in butter.

10. Pizzaman
    Original Member

Pizzaman Co-founder

Status Points:
    You're right. The food was pretty decent, definitely better than I would have expected.

11. BuddyFunJet

BuddyFunJet Member

Status Points:
    At the buffet , there is a guy that goes by the name of Jingles the Jester who walks around the room talking with the kids. Besides being amazingly good at talking to kids about their LegoLand experience, he has the talent of being able to tell which character is in the "random" character packages by feel. If your kid wants a certain one, Jngles has never failed for me.