Help With Choosing A Hotel in Shanghai

Discussion in 'Asia' started by aussieflyer, Apr 11, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. aussieflyer
    Original Member

aussieflyer Silver Member

Status Points:
    After looking through various hotel, Ive got it down to between Le Royal Méridien Shanghai (SPG) and the Andaz (Hyatt).

Plat with SPG and Diamond with Hyatt and using a confirmed suite upgrade. Price is the same, which would you take?

Really wanted to stay at the PH but its more then twice the price so not worth it IMO.

Or, perhaps there is another hotel which you would recommend.
    Both of the above are in the $200/night range so looking around that but am open to a little more.

2. NEVERhome

NEVERhome Silver Member

Status Points:
    Hi, I get more out of Hyatt than SPG, so in China I go that way. The Bund is old but it goes for $200 and I always get a suite which are awesome, so I am like you, would prefer the PH, but 5 nights @ 400 will send me broke too fast. I hear good reports back on the Andaz, but of the two mentioned I would go for Le Meridien

Kalboz likes this.
  3. taiwaned
    Original Member

taiwaned Silver Member

Status Points:
    Le Meridien - hands down.

The location is fantastic - service is really good. They have a great buffet and they are very English friendly. (assuming you cannot speak Chinese)

When I have visitors and they want to stay near the Bund, I always recommend LM.

4. gonezen

gonezen Active Member

Status Points:
    If you want to try the French Concession for a change, the Ruijin is nice. It's within a private compound, multiple buildings and was for government officials at one time. Likely still government owned. It's got a lot of history if you care for that, Chiang Kaishek and Soong Meiling were married here in the same room you'll be enjoying a very nice buffet breakfast. There was some construction adjacent to the property last I was there, fall of 2010. It's a restful place, a green oasis you might say, within the madness that Shanghai can sometimes be. Ctrip rates were very attractive last I booked, well under $200.

Kalboz likes this.
  5. Bonnie
    Original Member

Bonnie Silver Member

Status Points:
    LRM is a winner. We were there several years ago and loved it! Location is excellent and the service was outstanding. We stayed on the Club Floor where the food presentations were over the top. Almost wanted to pass on dinner! Our suite was stunning! Very contemporary. The bath was a bit funky but cool, with a glass wall in the shower. Since our last trip to Shanghai, several wonderful hotels have opened that would certainly tempt me...but for the price, I don't think you can go wrong with Le Royal Meridien! Look forward to hearing your final decision and a trip report!!:)

6. jetsetboy

jetsetboy Silver Member

Status Points:
    Have you considered the Grand Hyatt in the JinMao building (next to the SWFC where Park Hyatt is)? It's cheaper than PH, and the view looking up the center of the atrium with the rooms surrounding is incredible. It's worth going to take a look and a photo, even if not staying there. That's what I did, ha!

7. paladin87
    Original Member

paladin87 Silver Member

Status Points:
    I stayed at the PH Shanghai and used a suite upgrade. Enjoyed the best breakfast I have ever had in a hotel with the delicious buffet for free every day and had a 1300 sq ft suite on the 89th floor. I paid about $350 a night and it was worth every single penny.

8. cennas
    Original Member

cennas Gold Member

Status Points:
    Will be in Shanghai next month and will divide my stay in the GH and Andaz. So excited. Surprised that the rates were quite low too! :)