Help with award travel SFO-AMM

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Travel' started by Icarus, Mar 13, 2014.  |  Print Topic

1. Icarus

Icarus Active Member

Status Points:
    Hello Travel Experts,
    I need some advice please. I would like to use miles to travel one way from SFO to AMM (or TLV or anywhere in the region) sometime in May 2014 (dates are flexible).
    My Frequent Flier Mileage Program balances (rounded down) are as follows:
    BA 133k
    AA 87k
    Delta 37k
    United 94k
    Amex 61k
    For BA I read it is best to book a one partner award so I looked where Air Jordanian flies in the USA.
    I booked on the BA site ORD-AMM on Air Jordanian flight RJ0264 in business for 60k miles and $228 in taxes. (CPM 0.042 with the ticket value $3010 - tax $228 / award cost 60Kmi + 6236 miles foregone) This would require me to fly SFO-ORD to catch it: $395 cash for first, $299 premium economy or $149 coach, but I could go to Chicago a few days early and look around thus making it a stopover. I have 20 hours left to cancel (at time of posting).
    Then I looked on AA and found first class flight SFO-ORD (AA#1585) with the same second leg ORD-AMM business (RJ0264) for 67,500 (CPM 0.048 with the ticket value $3675 - tax $5 / 67,500 + 8082 miles foregone). I put a hold on this SFO-ORD-AMM. It didn't matter if I flew from SFO or from ORD it was still 67,500 miles.
    The advantage I see to the ORD-AMM flight is that it is 12 hours without requiring layovers in Europe. The disadvantage of Air Jordanian is that it is an angle flat bed.
    Do you think one of these two is a better option or can you think of a third option that I don't see?
    FYI I'll be returning from Prague-...-SFO in early August so a roundtrip ticket on one partner is unlikely. If anyone has thoughts about either itinerary I'm open to suggestions.
    Thank you in advance for your input!

2. MX

MX Gold Member

Status Points:
    If you can wait till October, the ORD-AMM flight would be on a Dreamliner.

3. Gardyloo
    Original Member

Gardyloo Gold Member

Status Points:
    AA shows availability on several days, most via JFK, but a couple showing US metal over the Atlantic (lie-flat, pretty comfy) for 67,500 miles and $31.50 in fees. (BA is whacking you for their fuel surcharge.) The AA itinerary would be in first class out of SFO (or SJC) to the connection point. Do you have specific dates?

4. Icarus

Icarus Active Member

Status Points:
    MX I am looking to go the second or third week of May. Thanks, Gardyloo, I will search on AA for flights from SFO OR SJC linking up to US Airways flights.

5. Icarus

Icarus Active Member

Status Points:
    No luck, I checked the whole month of May and I could not find any US metal flights over the Atlantic. There are BA flights but the taxes are high.

6. Gardyloo
    Original Member

Gardyloo Gold Member

Status Points:
    May 7 - SFO US PHL US YUL RJ AMM
    May 8 - SFO AA ORD RJ AMM
    May 9 - SFO AS SEA AA ORD RJ AMM

Earlier I saw SFO US CLT US FCO RJ AMM but the Rome flight has vanished.

The RJ product isn't lie-flat, but reports that I trust implicitly are extremely favorable. They're from my wife.

I wouldn't give up too soon. J award seats tend to open up dramatically closer to the flight date. Maybe pick one of these and just pay a change fee if something else comes up. Fees for SFO(-SEA)-ORD-AMM are $5 as opposed to hundreds for BA's fuel ripoff. Just upgrade your hotel room with the savings when you get there.

7. Icarus

Icarus Active Member

Status Points:
    Thanks for the sound advice. I have a hold for May 9 SFO AA ORD RJ AMM. It's good to know of the "extremely favorable" report on the RJ product from the most trusted of sources! Too bad I missed the US Airways flight to FCO; I'll take your advice and book this itinerary on the 17th (when the hold expires), and continue to see what opens up. I canceled the BA flight.