Help With Award - Continued Errors normal?

Discussion in 'United Airlines | MileagePlus' started by afakhori, Dec 7, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. afakhori

afakhori Silver Member

Status Points:
    So I'm trying to book an award for my wife, our 2 month old son, and myself. So far our Itinerary looks like this:

HNL-IAD 2/14
    IAD-HNL 2/19
    HNL- SFO 7/24

Every time I try to book it I get sent to an error screen. As I understand it, I should be able to IAD-HNL (stopover for 5 months) and then HNL-SFO. I actually tried many hubs on the mainland from HNL for the last segment and I still get errors. Is there something I need to change, or book by phone? Or is it not valid unless I include an open jaw or I am on international travel?

Really I am just trying to maximize my points. The last flight could be anywhere - If we're already going to be travelling that much with a baby, might as well squeeze out as much as we can. Any thoughts are appreciated!

2. mht_flyer
    Original Member

mht_flyer Gold Member

Status Points:
    I don't think this is allowed, you are doing a RT and then a one way, I don't believe you can have a "stopover" back at your point of origin, HNL.

3. Flyer1976
    Original Member

Flyer1976 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Correct.

mht_flyer likes this.
  4. afakhori

afakhori Silver Member

Status Points:
    so the best course of action would be to have an open jaw in the middle and then the extra one way? something like
    HNL-IAD
    PHL-HNL
    HNL-SFO

5. hulagrrl210
    Original Member

hulagrrl210 Gold Member

Status Points:
    I would try calling just for fun. Worst they are going to say is no, in which case you're really no worse off. If at first you don't succeed hang up and call again a few times. In my past experiences sometimes that works. Congrats on your little one! :)

afakhori likes this.
  6. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    You're still trying to put the stopover in HNL which likely won't work. Plus you won't get a free stopover trying to route IAD/PHL-SFO via HNL AFAIK. The idea on the free stopover is to go A-C via B where it is the same rate. A flight in the mainland is less points than to/from Hawaii so I would not expect it to work.

7. afakhori

afakhori Silver Member

Status Points:
    Got it, But even if I just play around and have HNL as the gateway city, it still doesn't work. I've tried:

NRT-HNL (3 week stopover)- IAD
    HND-HNL (3 week stopover)- IAD
    GUM-HNL (3 week stopover)- IAD

SYD-HNL (3 week stopover)- IAD
    Is the free stopover just not valid to/from HI regardless?

8. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    You will not get a free stopover on a one-way award using UA points.

That's separate from whether the website will properly price a valid award or not.