Help with award booking to Japan

Discussion in 'American Airlines | AAdvantage' started by Surface Interval, Dec 8, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. Surface Interval
    Original Member

Surface Interval Silver Member

I am new to booking with AA award miles. I've done a fair bit of reading on how to redeem them, however cannot find answers to a nagging question: Can you book a flight with Biz anytime that includes a stop at a gateway with service continuing on in a lesser class such as Biz saver? For example CLE-HNL is available for 75k Biz anytime and HNL-FUK is available (on HA) only as a 50k Biz saver. Can this be booked somehow? I would consider JFK-HNL-FUK (or similar) and use 4.5k Avios to get from CLE-JFK if that would help. The fallback is just go straight to NRT or HND from CLE.

Getting home I plan on returning with a 62.5k F saver as it seems to be fairly available. Most likely stop in either ORD or JFK and use Avios to get back home, saving the last segment for a trip to SFO sometime later in the year - I'll get back from that most likely with 12.5k UA saver miles.

More info: I am trying to book a really special spring break vacation for a family of 4. Preferred dates are March 21rst through April 1rst of 2013, but can swing a day or two either end if need be. I have over 700k AA miles, about 50k Avios, and many others that I prefer not to use for this trip other than hotels (SPG, UR, etc). The main trip is to Japan. Most of the time will be in and around Kyoto and Tokyo. Would love to spend a 2-3 days in Hawaii as it is not all that far out of the way. HKG would be an ok starting point, but availability looks to be essentially zero this close in, I don't mind dropping 10k UA saver to get from HKG to NRT, but then again HKG does not look very doable unless there is a really neat trick out there.

I have no status with AA, but do hold Citi cards with them (source of miles).

Apologies if I rambled too much :( Any pointers would be much appreciated.

Thank you,