Help with Avios companion fare redemption on BA.com

Discussion in 'British Airways | Executive Club' started by Stephan, Sep 28, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. Stephan

Stephan Silver Member

Status Points:
    Newbie question so bare with: I'm looking at YVR-LHR with companion fare next year and can find YVR-LHR(LGW)-MAN that is cheaper in terms of additional charges than the straight YVR-LHR. However, I'd need to switch airports in London. meanwhile searching on Qantas I can see flights arriving and leaving from LHR the same day, but I can't seem to get these combos on BA.com? Why? Can I call this in? Interestingly, I also found cheaper YVR-LHR-MAD, but last leg on IB so suspect this wouldn't work with the companion redemption, correct?

marcwint55 likes this.
  2. marcwint55

marcwint55 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Welcome to Milepoint. Are you talking about the free companion ticket when you use miles to purchase a ticket? It seems not as you are talking about cheaper prices, but I was not certain about your question.

3. jetsetr
    Original Member

jetsetr Gold Member

Status Points:
    Not sure what type of companion offer you have, and I'm not sure of your domicile location. You are starting in YVR, but that could just be a consequence of what you found in terms of availability. You could just as easily be from SEA.

For the moment, I am going to assume that you are a US resident (knowing that frequent flyer credit card schemes are practically non-existent in Canada). I will also assume that the companion pass you are looking to book is using the BA Chase Visa 2-for-1 deal that comes after spending $30K on the card in a calendar year.

The T&Cs of the 2-for-1 indicate that travel must originate in the US. That eliminates YVR as a starting point. And yes, you could not use the 2-for-1s on IB; all companion certificate redemptions must be on BA.

As to why you cannot find these combos on BA.com, well, generally that's because BA.com sucks. In cases like this, it may be better to call in, except you will be hit with a phone booking fee. However, if you explain your situation to the CS agent who helps you, the MAY be able to waive the phone fee. In fact, IIRC, I HAD to call in to BA, because there was no way to redeem the 2-for-1 otherwise (and yes, my phone fees were waived).

Finally, if you are looking to make an F booking, BA has a "first class" hotline you can call (number found on BA.com). It is much faster, and generally more pleasant service than calling the regular line.

Good luck!

Wandering Aramean likes this.
  4. Stephan

Stephan Silver Member

Status Points:
    Thanks for the thoughtful responses and the tip about the F phone line. Yes I'm originating in YVR and it is with a Canadian 2-for-1 reward booking from RBC BA VISA.
    cheers
    Stefan