Help with Aer Lingus Avios award

Discussion in 'British Airways | Executive Club' started by pittguy81, Nov 4, 2014.  |  Print Topic

1. pittguy81

pittguy81 Active Member

Status Points:
    Made the following award booking with Avios: AMS-DUB-BOS-PIT (Business, Business, First)
    My first question involves the AMS-DUB segment. British Airways is showing this flight is in business, but everything I read about Aer Lingus is that they don’t offer business class cabin (not even middle seat blocked) on intra-European flights. Is this a error in the BA system? If not what should I expect?
    My second question involves seat assignments and check-in. I tried using my Aer Lingus conformation number on the Aer Lingus site, but it doesn’t seem to work. I was able to call and get seat assignments, but does this mean I won’t be able to check-in online for my Aer Lingus flights?

I have never flown Aer Lingus and never redeemed Avios for a partner award before so any help is appreciated.

daninstl likes this.
  2. daninstl

daninstl Gold Member

Status Points:
    I can't advise you on the business seating issue but I have had good luck using the Finnair site to let me assign my BA confirmation trip number to other carriers so I can pick the seat. It sounds like you already have an Aer Lingus number though. I've redeemed Avios on American but in order to get the real American confirmation number I either have to call or go to Finnair (there are others like Royal Jordanian) to add it to my booking. The Aer Lingus number won't be the same as the BA number.

Check these if that is the issue:
    http://pointsmilesandmartinis.boardingarea.com/2013/02/trick-to-picking-airberlin-seats-online/
    http://viewfromthewing.boardingarea...-british-airways-award-bookings-get-benefits/

iolaire and pittguy81 like this.
  3. pittguy81

pittguy81 Active Member

Status Points:
    Thanks for the tip on the Finnair site. My search continues for information on this Aer Lingus AMS-DUB business class question. Even the Finnair site shows me in Business Class from AMS-DUB.

daninstl likes this.
  4. daninstl

daninstl Gold Member

Status Points:
    I don't think I would be super worried about that leg. Even if you end up in coach it's only like a 1 1/2 hour flight I think. Just me but I don't sweat the short flights too much. It could be that business=first on intra europe on Aer Lingus. I'm sure someone can correct me on this though.

pittguy81 likes this.
  5. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    Business class in this context is just a fare bucket. It doesn't necessarily translate into a service offering.

daninstl likes this.
  6. pittguy81

pittguy81 Active Member

Status Points:
    Thanks for clarifying that. I wasn’t that concerned as daninstl indicated because it’s only a 90 minute hop, but it always helps to have an idea of what to expect. On a side note, enjoy reading your blog.

daninstl and Wandering Aramean like this.