HELP wedding dress and delta sky club and my flight onTuesday HELP

Discussion in 'Newbies' started by Erica123, Feb 17, 2013.  |  Print Topic

1. Erica123

Erica123 New Member

Status Points:
    [color=]Hi everyone! I figured I would turn to this forum as DELTA was no help in giving me straight answers for the past few days. I am a student flying this tuesday evening on an international flight from JFK. I purchased my wedding dress and I was told so many different things by delta. So I need the pros who have more travel experience than me as to who I can reach out to once I get to JFK DELTA. I do not want to put my dress in the suitcase, as suggested I do not want to BUY an extra seat as suggested, I do not want to be at the mercy of the flight attendants mood as was told and I certainly would not like my dress in an overhead with the chance if some one needed the space my dress would lay on the bottom and their carry on on top of my dress. YES they did say all of the above! See why I am sooo nervous.

All I want is a non stressful day knowing that even though I am going coach on a 12 hour flight, that someone will say, we will hang up your dress in first class business class, and not in an over head bin with other suitcases. That's what leads me to your site, as I see many sophisticated, well traveled travelers who might just shed some light as my airline who I have started to travel with twice a year will not assist me. So my question is if I purchase a one day pass at delta sky in JFK, will that help the transition of my dress through security x ray belt and perhaps getting on board first so they can put my dress somewhere?

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated. As of now I have approximately 14,000 points. . I think they said I needed 50,000 points to upgrade so that maybe I would have A BETTER chance to get my dress in a closet .
    Hoping for some guidance.

Thank you for listening

Erica

[/color]

Gargoyle and marcwint55 like this.
  2. marcwint55

marcwint55 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Welcome to Milepoint. While there are no guarantees, I am fairly certain that if you explain the situation first to the gate agent and then to the flight attendant while boarding, they will take care of your dress for you. Purchasing a day pass to the Sky Club will be no help in getting through security or in priority boarding, you will merely have lounge access prior to and after the flight if wanted.

boondr likes this.
  3. AUSsie

AUSsie Silver Member

Status Points:
    Hi Erica,

Others might be able to help with the rest of your question (I'm an AA/United guy), but don't bother with the sky club pass. This will give you a place to sit down and have a drink in the terminal after security, but it will not change anything about getting through security.

Typically, business class and higher tickets or high-status frequent fliers get access to a faster security line. Delta might sell you an add-on to your ticket to obtain this, however. The Delta folks may know more. Either way, this won't change how your dress is handled in the security scan nor your in-flight experience. It just means a shorter wait in line for security.

Much of it also depends on the size of the dress. If it is fairly flat, I think the odds of it fitting in the forward closet are much better. If you can fold it once or twice, the chances of it fitting in an overhead are much higher. I suspect that you will still need to depend on the kindness of strangers here, though. I imagine the flight staff will be able to help if you give the gate gent and the flight attendant a heads-up before boarding. I'm sure they have solved similar problems in the past.

If I had to guess, I'd say getting priority boarding (so you'll definitely find bin space) will be the best bang for your buck.

Either way, make sure you're not going over the airline's cabin baggage limit.

marcwint55 likes this.
  4. kyunbit
    Original Member

kyunbit Silver Member

Status Points:
    can't add anything new. But congratulations on your upcoming wedding

AUSsie and marcwint55 like this.
  5. icyunvlluckieme

icyunvlluckieme New Member

Status Points:
    You may also want to look and see how packed your flight is. I'm not sure that Delta allows it but on AA you can check and see how full the flight is. If every seat is not filled you might have a little better chance at being easily accomodated. If the flight is full there might not be much wiggle room for the agents or attendents. Hope it's a light flight! Congrats on the upcoming nuptials!

6. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    The only way to ensure that there is space for anything you bring on board - wedding dress or otherwise - is to pay for it. Expecting a guarantee of getting such treatment for free is probably not a good place to set your expectations. Odds are it'll work out OK but if the flight is very full then you will likely be in trouble.

No.

7. TravelBear

TravelBear Gold Member

Status Points:
    Um, can't you do some sort of expedited shipping?

8. ella
    Original Member

ella Silver Member

Status Points:
    As suggested, I would look at shipping ahead. If you're staying at a hotel at your destination, ask the concierge to line up a professional who can steam the dress of any wrinkles - which you should probably do even if you carry onboard.
    Best wishes on your big day !

9. skyvan

skyvan Gold Member

Status Points:
    Assuming you aren't going JFK-LAX the week before Oscars (Business closet will be full of dresses for those traveling up front), you have a decent chance, but as all have said, there are no guarantees.

marcwint55 likes this.
  10. mrredskin
    Original Member

mrredskin Gold Member

Status Points:
    certified/insured/registered mail?

LETTERBOY and marcwint55 like this.
  11. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Still doesn't solve the problem when it doesn't show up. Plus, the OP is flying international (12 hour flight ex-JFK) so the costs are likely to be quite high. She has already indicated that she wants this for free. Otherwise it'd be easy to just pay Delta to handle it and know that it is with you the whole time.

12. msv
    Original Member

msv Gold Member

Status Points:
    The OP could just wear it:)

cheepneezy and AUSsie like this.
  13. sobore
    Original Member

sobore Gold Member

Status Points:
    Sure, but looking like this on your wedding day is not desirable. :p

[​IMG]

Counsellor likes this.
  14. msv
    Original Member

msv Gold Member

Status Points:
    Perhaps a shower curtain liner that could double as a trench coat ;)

15. Counsellor
    Original Member

Counsellor Gold Member

Status Points:
    So, stick to white wine onboard. :D

Gargoyle likes this.
  16. mrredskin
    Original Member

mrredskin Gold Member

Status Points:
    I imagine it would be quite a bit higher to pay for an extra ticket

17. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Status Points:
    And also know that the dress will actually arrive since it won't be out of your possession.

Insured/certified/whatever just means you get paid cash if it doesn't arrive, not that it is guaranteed to arrive. That's not what the OP is looking for.

skyvan likes this.
  18. ella
    Original Member

ella Silver Member

Status Points:
    If OP doesn't want to pay extra, the safest way is to fold it into a waterproof carry-on along with a steamer. Even if an FA is willing to store in closet - the dress is still going to be crammed in with coats so it'll be in no better shape than crammed into an overhead bin. Better it arrive safely but wrinkled, than wrinkled and stained.

19. webdes03

webdes03 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Buying an extra seat wouldn't do anything for you anyway. There's not a flight crew in the air that's going to let a dress hang out in a seat unsecured. If it doesn't go in the overhead compartment, under the seat, or in a closet (with some smooth and polite talking to a flight attendant) then you'll have an issue.

It's probably also worth noting that many of us haven't seen a flight in the last few years that has ANY overhead space available at the time of pushback. If you have no status or priority boarding, and end up in the later boarding zones, you're going to have one hell of a time finding space.

As others have mentioned, it may be worth paying for A) priority security (this won't change how the TSA handles your dress, but it puts you in a much shorter line, and occasionally TSA is a little friendlier and less prone to hassling frequent flyers) and B) priority boarding (if you're in a later boarding zones the likelyhood of open space is probably pretty slim).