[Help] Using BA miles on CX

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Miles/Points' started by lichenlt, Nov 9, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. lichenlt
    Original Member

lichenlt Silver Member

Status Points:
    I'm planning a trip to China in April or May, 2012. Like many others, I'd like to take advantage of BA's 100k to Asia in Biz with unlimited stopovers before it's gone.

Does BA allow a routing like this? LAX-HKG-PVG-CTU on CX and/or KA?

on Google map, it looks like HKG is west of PVG, but I could find direct flight on CX from LAX-PVG, does CX fly LAX-PVG? or would it be ok if HKG is just a connection?

I'm based in Seattle, is my only option to book a separate flight on AS to LAX?

2. thefitworldtraveler
    Original Member

thefitworldtraveler Silver Member

Status Points:
    No CX does not go from LAX-PVG. You have to go to HKG first from one of CX's gateway cities on the west coast which are LAX, SFO, YVR.

Additionally, CTU will not be allowed at end of your segment because of the back tracking rules because you have to go back through HKG to get to CTU.

lichenlt likes this.
  3. lichenlt
    Original Member

lichenlt Silver Member

Status Points:
    I think KA flies PVG-CTU, or does BA allow travel on KA?

4. thefitworldtraveler
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Yes

lichenlt likes this.
  5. lichenlt
    Original Member

lichenlt Silver Member

Status Points:
    so I can fly LAX-HKG-PVG-CTU?

6. thefitworldtraveler
    Original Member

Status Points:
    you can't fly PVG-CTU because there are no direct flights operated by CX or KA. You can't fly from PVG back to HKG then on CTU because you're back tracking and it's agains the routing rules.

You other option is to fly to PVG and buy a ticket to RT to CTU.

lichenlt likes this.
  7. Toula
    Original Member

Toula Gold Member

Status Points:
    Would it work if you used BA miles to fly on AA as I believe they fly direct from LAX to mainland China.

YULtide and lichenlt like this.
  8. Aktchi
    Original Member

Aktchi Silver Member

Status Points:
    General question: Can you book online or do you have to call BA? Like many people, I have BA miles from CC promo, but have never dealt with them seriously before.

9. lichenlt
    Original Member

lichenlt Silver Member

Status Points:
    so I can break it into two one-way trips: LAX-HKG-PVG (outbound) and CTU-HKG-LAX (inbound)?

10. lichenlt
    Original Member

lichenlt Silver Member

Status Points:
    Yes AA does fly directly to PVG, but there's no way to add another leg after PVG. If I do LAX-HKG-PVG, I can stay in HKG for a few days?

11. daemon14

daemon14 Gold Member

Status Points:
    I think the 2 one-way solution is best for you, and then purchase a cheap one-way between PVG and CTU.

If you use BA miles, you can stay in HKG on either the inbound or outbound. If you use AA miles, you cannot since you can only have stopovers at the North American gateway (although you'd be able to mix partners, so you could fly directly back to SEA).

Also, since you are in SEA, how about trying to find availability from YVR on CX? I've done that drive and it may give a good alternative to buying a R/T SEA-LAX ticket. If not, look for availability out of SFO as well.

lichenlt likes this.
  12. lichenlt
    Original Member

lichenlt Silver Member

Status Points:
    The problem with YVR is that you have to drive there and leave your car at the airport for the entire trip duration, which I assume would not be cheap. But it does provide a good alternative.

Another thing is, I'd like to try their new Biz product, which I believe is not on YVR-HKG yet, is it?

13. thrashsoundly
    Original Member

thrashsoundly Silver Member

Status Points:
    It depends on your itinerary. If you are just connecting through HKG to another location like DPS, you should be able to do it online. I've constructed itineraries online like this before. If your trip has stopovers and is complex, then you'll have to call.

lichenlt likes this.
  14. daemon14

daemon14 Gold Member

Status Points:
    I've done a one-way rental YVR to SEA which was pretty well-priced (better than buying an AS ticket to LAX and having to connect there).

I'm not so sure on the CX business class routes but I think the YVR-HKG flight that is a continuation of the YVR-JFK route has new business usually.

lichenlt likes this.
  15. Gary Steiger
    Original Member

Gary Steiger Silver Member

Status Points:
    Beware: BA charges large fuel surcharges for Cathay Pacific flights. Much lower fees for using Alaska Airlines miles.

16. ossipago

ossipago Silver Member

Status Points:
    There is a very pleasant Amtrak train you can take - I think it's maybe $50 and 5 hours each way, with generally easier border crossings than by car.

17. infamousdx

infamousdx Silver Member

Status Points:
    That's correct. In fact, I took the first part of that last month, JFK-YVR. New biz is AWESOME.